G8

DC Guy

How is this g8 thing going anyway? Its been kinda quite around these parts for awhile, I have heard some things lately, and I as I am sure others are wondering if things are happening as they should be with the g8- toc shows? Now you can call this trolling or whatever you all want to come up with but I am here to say that as a fan of World Class Drum and Bugle Corps I personally would like to know how this new set up is going? It affects the activity that I enjoy and I would like to know how it is shaping up, good or bad. Yes I do care how this group of 8 could tarnish or flourish an activity that I enjoy. Fair enough?

This over engineering of drumcorps, (G-8) and imposed classification, does not bode well for the activity..Already there is animosity what with the subjugation of non G8 corps. What is the incentive for them to be the lackeys of what in reality are the privledged organizations. May be totally wrong, but all I can see down the road for some corps is lack of interest on the part of supporters, volunteers, and those that contribute money. The only way for these other corps to regain a positive identity, is to go their own way and to shed to mantle of inferiority that has been brought about by the greed of the self annointed so called G8.

• Like 1

How is this g8 thing going anyway? Its been kinda quite around these parts for awhile, I have heard some things lately, and I as I am sure others are wondering if things are happening as they should be with the g8- toc shows? Now you can call this trolling or whatever you all want to come up with but I am here to say that as a fan of World Class Drum and Bugle Corps I personally would like to know how this new set up is going? It affects the activity that I enjoy and I would like to know how it is shaping up, good or bad. Yes I do care how this group of 8 could tarnish or flourish an activity that I enjoy. Fair enough?

I've heard some interesting things too, including that the current TOC show setup requires the pit to tear down including amps immediately after the judged performance, which means the extra material, unless this is changed, will occur without the benefit of any front line whatsoever effectively reducing the extra TOC material to 70's era drum corps. If you're thinking "that renders the whole thing pointless" you would be correct.

Corps perform various songs in modern-day encores without pit. Are those "pointless" too?

No, they're not. I wasn't very clear with that statement. My point was that assuming at least a few corps would use the extra show material time to do things like amping woodwinds, exploring more the depths of electronics, sax solo's on the sideline into a mic etc... would not be possible, and given the sense from many that the "extra" time would be used to explore options that aren't currently legal, it's to that end that eliminating the front line for the extra TOC material would make that goal pointless. I guess they could still put a full woodwind section into the corps proper or something.

Edited by BozzlyB

I've heard some interesting things too, including that the current TOC show setup requires the pit to tear down including amps immediately after the judged performance, which means the extra material, unless this is changed, will occur without the benefit of any front line whatsoever effectively reducing the extra TOC material to 70's era drum corps. If you're thinking "that renders the whole thing pointless" you would be correct.

This is an odd post, it kinda reveals I guess some of what I was looking for. Not! I sure hope this trial run does not become pointless, ya think? Gotta give it to you though, at least you said something, it should be interesting to get some real facts someday about this new adventure. It is 2011 now. Its hard to plan for some shows when we really dont know that much about them, like how much it is gonna cost? Thats not asking to much is it?

This is an odd post, it kinda reveals I guess some of what I was looking for. Not! I sure hope this trial run does not become pointless, ya think? Gotta give it to you though, at least you said something, it should be interesting to get some real facts someday about this new adventure. It is 2011 now. Its hard to plan for some shows when we really dont know that much about them, like how much it is gonna cost? Thats not asking to much is it?

:cool:

No, they're not. I wasn't very clear with that statement. My point was that assuming at least a few corps would use the extra show material time to do things like amping woodwinds, exploring more the depths of electronics, sax solo's on the sideline into a mic etc... would not be possible, and given the sense from many that the "extra" time would be used to explore options that aren't currently legal, it's to that end that eliminating the front line for the extra TOC material would make that goal pointless.

Oh, OK. Well, as I understood it, the woodwind hysteria was all predicated on the appearance of the term "winds" instead of "brass" (possibly inadvertently) on one page of a PowerPoint proposal that wasn't passed anyway. I don't think woodwinds were ever an essential part of the planned extra material of a TOC show.

I would guess that what we will see is some "instant encore" work by the field musicians to bridge the gaps between corps, as well as some end-of-event material combining all eight corps. Perhaps they'll do something with warmups too. None of those ideas require woodwinds....in fact, none of them necessarily require the pit to be involved.