G8

DC Guy

I wonder if they (g8) have a plan B in case this whole ordeal becomes a complete failure. I have been thinking that mabye that is what they are meeting about this weekend. I can just see it now, " Hey Dan, we are going to need a but load more money now if this does not work." " Could you ask the rest of the Drum Corps to bank roll our 2011 season, please."

yeah, uh, I dont see that happening

So much G-8 hating. I seriously doubt your doomsday scenarios have any legitimacy. Certainly the death of drum corps has NEVER been decried before has it. I don't view DCI as any different. There's still a top 12 at finals, a semis and quarters with new (better) rules, the only real difference is the addition of a few new shows. I'm sure that will bring the activity to it's knees. Feelings of exclusion are fueled by jealousy. Here's a suggestion to the corps out there who feel isolated, lonely, dejected, as if all the talent is soaked up by the big mean G-8 sponge.... get better and knock a corps out.

did you read the full proposal when it first came out? And, do you think some of them will give up on the points not installed yet?

Many did, and many don't

I don't share your optimism. The initial proposal did not contemplate the G7 (now G8) breaking away, but instead contemplated them dramatically reforming DCI to suit their own vision and kicking a large number of corps to the curb. Anyone who would sign up for such a drastic move is just as likely, in my opinion, to be willing to sign up to form their own organization if they do not get what they want.

I agree with you . . . to a point. But I think that once these groups look at the real-world numbers (and not some whimsical, pie-in-the-sky fantasizing which seemed to form the basis for much of the G8 stuff I read early on), they will realize that in all likelihood, it will be financial suicide to go off on their own.

This isn't the early '70s, when there were so many other corps from which to form a solid foundation for DCI. I just can't see eight corps being sufficiently able to finance their own touring structure, schedules, judges, contest sites, fees, prize money, copyright approval, licensing and all the related media paraphernalia that go with it. I could be wrong, of course, but I think it will be far more costly than they realize, and the payoff may not be worth it.

• Like 1

If the system of rules is broken, there is already an agreed upon process to change the rules to better rules that are not broken - without a revolt, a hostile takeover or a secession.

I don't see this as a revolt or takeover (hostile or otherwise), I see this as an additional money maker because of the addition shows with "something".

But... always gotta be a but....

Can the market, especially in these economic times, handle additional "something" shows that have the same groups that are in DCI competitions. And if the market can't handle it how will it affect attendance ($$$) for both the G8 "something" shows and DCI competitions. And let's face it, if Drum Corps is having problems getting more fans to go to competitions, how will the G8 Something or other fare any differently?

FYI - call 'em "something" shows cuz I have no idea what will be done and how much tickets will cost.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

did you read the full proposal when it first came out? And, do you think some of them will give up on the points not installed yet?

Many did, and many don't

I did read (the majority skimmed some) of the original and the current proposal. I think certain individuals will continue to push the points that most of us found very distasteful in the original proposal. I also think that the majority of people including the majority of those with voting power will CONTINUE to be opposed to those points, and I believe they will continue to be shot down. It's been said a thousand times, and I think it is accurate, that there is very little support among corps and directors as a whole for the inclusion of woodwinds despite the vocal efforts of some to "prep" DCI for their inclusion, and I believe the same holds true for the notion of an all powerful money grubbing group of power hungry corps that care nothing for the rest of the activity.

I did read (the majority skimmed some) of the original and the current proposal. I think certain individuals will continue to push the points that most of us found very distasteful in the original proposal. I also think that the majority of people including the majority of those with voting power will CONTINUE to be opposed to those points, and I believe they will continue to be shot down. It's been said a thousand times, and I think it is accurate, that there is very little support among corps and directors as a whole for the inclusion of woodwinds despite the vocal efforts of some to "prep" DCI for their inclusion, and I believe the same holds true for the notion of an all powerful money grubbing group of power hungry corps that care nothing for the rest of the activity.

Except I dont see some of those guys wanting to keep the votes or being able to keep the votes forever.

and remember, amps took 15 years to get passed

And let's face it, if Drum Corps is having problems getting more fans to go to competitions, how will the G8 Something or other fare any differently?

Two words:

Free beer. :tongue:

I'm still bothered by the potential failure of the outcome. There's too great a chance that the G8 can blame it on DCI and its scheduling, along with "some additional", but not all, of the proceeds going to the G8 corps. If it fails, the shot across the bow of 2010 will easily be re-loaded and shot again.

The "elites" think DCI is a drain on the revenue that the "elite" produce. That hasn't changed despite the TOC schedule.

I can easily hear the hue and cry: "If we only had woodwinds we would attract more of the scholastic crowd."

EDIT: Upon rethinking this I suspect that rational people would work together to establish the schedule with the best chance of success. It's also rational to presume that if I'm concerned about failure producing another May, '10 that others are, too, and will do what they can to produce a successful TOC circuit. blink.gif

Don't know what I was thinking...

Edited by garfield

Two words:

Free beer. :tongue:

Genius.

Fran for President!