Championships lost to penalties

jras

Obviously, since it was only a tenth of a point loss, and the dropped rifle is a more obvious "tick," that is what most people believe to be the truth. While she took it the hardest because penalties were a part of the process, to a man/woman, no one EVER blamed her.

Just to clarify--I never said Rondo blamed the rifle in question for the corps' loss. But he DOES say on the telecast that the dropped rifle was "the mistake people remember." All I'm saying is that with that comment some people might have jumped to conclusions.

I'm going to locate and digitize the footage as soon as I can.

Garfield missed being in the 1972 DCI finals because of penalties. They missed 12th place by 0.4, and they got 1.8 in penalties, while the 12th place Bleu Raeders had none.

Crossmen missed being in 1979 DCI finals due to penalties. They would have tied the Troopers for 12th, but they got 0.4 in penalties, while the Troopers got 0.2. Crossmen missed tying Troopers by those extra 0.2.

And I believe that both Troopers and Crossmen could have at least tied Cavies that year except for their penalties. (Could be wrong,though)

I'm guessing this idea of penalizing dropped color guard equipment traces its roots back to the military origins of color guard: guarding the national colors. If you dropped a rifle or saber, then you were not doing your job to guard your national flag, hence you were assessed a penalty. Of course, even in DCI's infancy, the color guard section that marched with the corps proper had long since stopped performing that function, so I agree with you that it was silly to continue treating that as a penalty that was somehow "different" from any other error.

That's my theory, anyway. I haven't done any research to back it up. And I'm not sure how that theory applies to a dropped drumstick, mouthpiece, plume or whatever else might fall off in the course of a corps' performance, and so also was considered "dropped equipment" and penalized. Any dropped equipment -- whether it be guard equipment or something else -- was given a tenth penalty.

Your theory is correct.

Guard drops were a VFW holdover, from the early dci gatherings to discuss how to create the circuit. I'm directly related to an oldie involved in this process and he confirmed tonight this is the reasoning for the penalty.

This is NOT considered a tick. If the drop was written into the show... literally, as all the guard dropping their equipment... it would have been assessed a penalty. This is because it isn't a tick, even if it was part of the show, this is an infraction of the rules created to standardize the integrity of the military style colorguard traditions.

How ironic to lose a championship on an American flag penalty - - - - - in Canada !!!

Whether a corps was in Canada or in New Jersey, it was a major penalty for any section or any marching member to go "off-sides" of the National Colors (i.e., march ahead of the color detail). Depite being assessed the penalty once for making the error in Canada, the error was repeated about a month later in New Jersey.

Edited by Navillus WP

Just to clarify--I never said Rondo blamed the rifle in question for the corps' loss. But he DOES say on the telecast that the dropped rifle was "the mistake people remember." All I'm saying is that with that comment some people might have jumped to conclusions.

I'm going to locate and digitize the footage as soon as I can.

Agreed. But in the spirit of complete reporting, it would have been nice had he pointed out other less obvious and more pertinent facts such as I described. Or, if he really wanted to be “controversial,” he could try explaining how Vanguard received a 9.9 in music analysis and a 9.8 in brass GE with a fairly sub-par performance!

The Cavaliers received a 2.0 penalty at prelims, and would have been 5th place without it. They didn't get any penalties at finals, and jumped up to 3rd.

The written report on that 1970 VFW performance by the Cavaliers stated that one of the things overheard on the messed-up p.a. system was a radio broadcast of somebody giving the recipe for chicken cacciatore :tongue:

Anaheim received a 13.0 penalty at the '73 US Open prelims - for being a day late - dropping them to 9th.

They would have won Prelims if they'd been there on time...

(Grin)

Anaheim received a 13.0 penalty at the '73 US Open prelims - for being a day late - dropping them to 9th.

They would have won Prelims if they'd been there on time...

(Grin)

I was there in the stadium waiting for Anaheim to appear. We were all pretty nervous when they didn't show up.

Their caravan had been tied up in traffic, due to a huge accident in Ohio (not involving their vehicles, fortunately.) Finally they showed up and were announced as getting the penalty.

They were pretty much the odds-on favorite to win U.S. Open that year, so it was a tense time for us in the stands (and especially for THEM) in waiting out the prelim scores.

I was there in the stadium waiting for Anaheim to appear. We were all pretty nervous when they didn't show up.

Their caravan had been tied up in traffic, due to a huge accident in Ohio (not involving their vehicles, fortunately.) Finally they showed up and were announced as getting the penalty.

They were pretty much the odds-on favorite to win U.S. Open that year, so it was a tense time for us in the stands (and especially for THEM) in waiting out the prelim scores.

So ... what corps ended up beating them, who normally wouldn't have, in the Prelims that day?

:-)

So ... what corps ended up beating them, who normally wouldn't have, in the Prelims that day?

Black Knights, Kilties (although Kilties beat Anaheim quite a few times during the year), De La Salle, Purple Lancers, Argonne Rebels, Polish Falcon Cadets, Des Plaines Vanguard, Phantom Regiment. Anaheim was in the next slot after those top eight.

The cutoff for making finals was a score of 68.30. Anaheim got 70.00 at prelims.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Black Knights, Kilties (although Kilties beat Anaheim quite a few times during the year), De La Salle, Purple Lancers, Argonne Rebels, Polish Falcon Cadets, Des Plaines Vanguard, Phantom Regiment. Anaheim was in the next slot after those top eight.

The cutoff for making finals was a score of 68.30. Anaheim got 70.00 at prelims.

Good stuff ... makes for great "war stories" ...