It's changed

Duplicate...

Edited by jjeffeory

:tongue:

Cadets 2001 was arranged more the way I'm used to hearing than 2010....

There's been a shift the last few years in arranging style across corps that separates corps arranging from '00-'06 '07-'10 . Just saying...

At any rate, fsubone, go live and enjoy your dream. We'll be rooting for ya, maybe from the stands!

It is sad that you may be given an inferiorly arranged product to perform, but I'm sure you'll perform the heck out of it...

Well, since you're looking for examples, I'm going to say the Cadets of late have been playing some pretty darn demanding horn books. If you want specifics, go watch 2001. That show was insanely hard.

And yes, arranging today is far different. You're right, the visual outweighs the music, which is a shame. But I do think that the corps of yesterday did play hard parts, especially considering a lot of it was on a two-vavled instrument, but I really think us members of today move far more than the older corps, and are still expected to play some pretty hard music, mostly because of dealing with the visual demand placed on it.

And while I did like Madison 2010, I do think that show looked towards the past, but did it with the modern twists of our modern, fast-paced drill. If they had done it with the simplistic, symmetrical drill they had the first time they did the music, there would have been huge problems. So they redid the pieces, and rearranged them so that they were possible with todays visual systems. Again, just my thoughts on it.

yeah yeah.... the new kid has no way of knowing how hard drum corps was in your day.... when you went uphill in the snow both ways. I love and respect what you guys did in the past, but given the choice, I would never want to go back to that. I like my modern drum corps too much, especially considering my first exposure to drum corps was the 2003 SCV and BD shows. That's the drum cops world I fell in love with, and I hope we keep moving forward in that way.

No way....

I understand what you're saying about minimalistic music possibly being more intricate, but brass books aren't getting harder. They've gotten easier as the hard parts are often offloaded to the pit. That doesn't generate the same level of effect that the brass would achieve correctly playing difficult passages.

Also trying and accomplishing are two distinct things. Simultaneous demands should only count if successful. Watering down the brass book in order to achieve simultaneous responsibilities doesn't cut it.

...and it's really difficult to talk about this change while making sweeping generalizations about all brass books of today. Some are better than others, some are worse... Generally the brass books aren't worthy of the players of today....

you hit on something here. running while playing whole notes isn't as hard as moving and playing a lot of notes. and 4 to 5 playing a whole should be weighted a little less than a 6 to 5 and even playing an 8th note passage.

but because visual has taken over so much of the game, anything you do with visual demand gets max credit

you hit on something here. running while playing whole notes isn't as hard as moving and playing a lot of notes. and 4 to 5 playing a whole should be weighted a little less than a 6 to 5 and even playing an 8th note passage.

but because visual has taken over so much of the game, anything you do with visual demand gets max credit

I am really torn about this. I look back at the older videos from the 1980s and early 1990s and I think about 1993-1994-1995, many of the shows found their "sweet spot" between the balance of the music and the visual parts of the program.

In the 1970s and early 1980s it was the music, not necessarily complicated music, but loud volume that I remember most. I don't remember the drill as much except for the "classic moves" each corps had...the sunburst, the Rockford files, the z-pull, the company front with high mark time. This is what I remember of the drill.

Funny thing for me...the drill is faster now, much faster. But, it isn't any more memorable than in the past to me. Sure, there are moments, that I remember, but no more than I did in the past. Some of the music is still memorable. A couple corps played Nimrod from the Enigma Variations by Edward Elgar. I love that music. I went out and bought an Elgar biography after hearing Blue Knights play it. Last time I did anything close to that was in 1995 when I heard Cavaliers play The Planets. I bought several CDs of Holst's music and still listen to them today.

So for me, I've always liked to music, but it is the football field and the drill that sets this apart from going to concerts, etc.

I'm ok with a mix. a 50/50 is best IMO. I just don't see that 50/50. I see it more and more tilted to the visual

:tongue:

At any rate, fsubone, go live and enjoy your dream. We'll be rooting for ya, maybe from the stands!

It is sad that you may be given an inferiorly arranged product to perform, but I'm sure you'll perform the heck out of it...

Well, I don't really consider it a dream. More of a life. I've never found the shows I've performed to be inferior products, but that's just me. The shows I've performed in the past have been a championship show, and a crowd favorite, so I'm content with it. I know my organization can produce a quality program that both myself and the fans can enjoy. Just the way I see it. Sure, I probably look at everything pretty idealistically, but I'm okay with that. I'll never be able to march the shows some of you guys did back in the 70s,80s, and 90s, and I'm okay with that. I wouldn't trade the last 4 years for anything, or even the next two.

I'm ok with a mix. a 50/50 is best IMO. I just don't see that 50/50. I see it more and more tilted to the visual

Part of it's what the judges reward. If they want more music parts to come back, then they would reward that stuff more. But when hard visuals and easy music get rewarded, it's what people will do. When winning shows start getting filled with drum features and horn stabs, there needs to be a change. The judging system needs a major overhaul.

Well, I don't really consider it a dream. More of a life. I've never found the shows I've performed to be inferior products, but that's just me. The shows I've performed in the past have been a championship show, and a crowd favorite, so I'm content with it. I know my organization can produce a quality program that both myself and the fans can enjoy. Just the way I see it. Sure, I probably look at everything pretty idealistically, but I'm okay with that. I'll never be able to march the shows some of you guys did back in the 70s,80s, and 90s, and I'm okay with that. I wouldn't trade the last 4 years for anything, or even the next two.

Bravo!!!! :tongue:

Part of it's what the judges reward. If they want more music parts to come back, then they would reward that stuff more. But when hard visuals and easy music get rewarded, it's what people will do. When winning shows start getting filled with drum features and horn stabs, there needs to be a change. The judging system needs a major overhaul.

Truth.

Bravo!!!! :tongue:

Thanks Tony. Good to know someone else gets it.