Which do you prefer?

Two Phantom of the Opera shows....which one was better?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Here are the choices:

• Santa Clara Vanguard 1988
    • Santa Clara Vanguard 1989

I must have voted for 89 about 20 times by now...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy choice.

89 was so sloppy visually. Drums were a mess.

But it was 1st place. Just doesn't make sense.

Hmm. I've never thought 1989 was a particularly strong year for drum corps.

SCV (phantom part deux), Phantom (Dvorak) Cavaliers (Gloria) BD (Johnny One-Note, etc) and Cadets (Les Mis) were all entertaining but none of them were particularly "typical DCI champion" clean.

FWIW, Cadets had my fav of 1989.

I'm guessing you giggled when you hit Add Reply. If not, 88 was one of, if not the most competitive years in DCI finals history. 4 shows were championship clean and championship caliber. 88 was also a new judging system with fewer judges. 89 was (IMO) written to the new scoring and judging system. 88 was overall a better show and better performed, although some of the tempos were slower.

Sometimes a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place show could win on any given year ... it just so happened they got 2nd and someone else was on fire coming into finals. I think the 88 show would have won in 89 ... if that helps.

88 by a mile.

89 was a mess. Huge drill problems. Soloists fracking. The phantom was a girl for most of the show.

I've never understood why people look at that 89 show as the ultimate. It wasn't even the best that year IMO.

88, yet again.

we really need to post that have been debated ad nauseum

How can one have " a debate "on a thread question that asks the readers above... " which do you PREFER.... " ?

A " preference " question is never something that is " debateable ".

Edited by BRASSO

How can one have " a debate "on a thread question that asks the readers above... " which do you PREFER.... " ?

A " preference " question is never something that is " debateable ".

I don't disagree at all with what you're saying.

I'm just saying that we don't need to have a new thread every few months for these preference questions. We could consolidate them and let these eternal questions rage in their own little worlds instead of being rehashed from the beginning again and again.

Edit: More properly addressing the quote.

Edited by hornandsoccer

Just don't open the tread if you don't want to participate. It's not like the forum is that busy this time of year.

Forums where the whole front page is stickies of five year old threads with 900 pages each suck.

Just don't open the tread if you don't want to participate. It's not like the forum is that busy this time of year.

Forums where the whole front page is stickies of five year old threads with 900 pages each suck.

It's kind of like calling someone up to tell them you don't want to talk to them anymore... Why take the time and effort to click and compose a reply just to state you're not interested.

If the topic is interesting, I enjoy any new comments or ones I may have missed the first time around. If someone is totally put out because of a recurring thread, report it to the mods and let them decide.

1988 SCV for me although I didn't see either live, just going by the videos.

Edited by bdon15