How much longer...

sadly between 5 and 10, but I pray DCA judges them properly

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think maybe less than 5.

I know this might stir up one heck of a controversy, but my personal hope is for electronics, but only for the use of amplifying the front ensemble instruments. Those instruments, especially marimbas and vibraphones, are simply not designed to compete acoustically with the sheer amount of brass power coming from many of the larger corps. Particularly in this setting where the sound is designed to reach a press box that more often than not the brass is aiming their sound towards, while the mallet instruments have no way to direct their sound upwards. In order for many front ensembles to compete with that volume and contribute with the appropriate material, they have to resort to unmusical mallet choices, and techniques that are harmful not only to their instruments, but to themselves as well.

That being said... no synthesizers. Ever. Ever ever ever. Ever. No samplers. I'm not a fan of vocal amplification, either. No bass or guitar or electronic drum pads/kits. I only endorse the thought of adding amplification to acoustic percussion instruments in the front ensemble. I may not have the most popular viewpoint on this, but I'm personally invested in it, and considering my severe tendonitis flare-ups that no longer allow me to play full-time in the pit, I don't want to see my students try to play through the pain that I have for endured for years.

Flame away.

I thought this post would be controversial but it seems that others feel the same as I do. We really don't want it but the direction of the activity dictates it I guess.

NOT SO FAST!

The much smaller DCA organization has a greater chance of marketing success if it remains UNIQUELY different than what is easily available everywhere else. I'd much rather pay to see/hear something special, more difficult to find, yet still brass, percussion, and movement. DCA doesn't need to be the smaller, under-funded, stepchild of some other trend-chasing organization. It's making a stronger audience connection now, as it is.

NOT SO FAST!

The much smaller DCA organization has a greater chance of marketing success if it remains UNIQUELY different than what is easily available everywhere else. I'd much rather pay to see/hear something special, more difficult to find, yet still brass, percussion, and movement. DCA doesn't need to be the smaller, under-funded, stepchild of some other trend-chasing organization. It's making a stronger audience connection now, as it is.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Mr Windish, I owe you a beer.

My fervent hope is that we can arrest the movement to “evolve” the unique drum corps sound into marching wind ensemble with a dance troupe. Occasionally and for my own amusement, I read the discussions in DCP and substitute “pipe band” for “drum corps”. Why not? There are similarities. Non-chromatic instruments (pipes only have nine notes, I believe). Drums and some things that play a melody. Military history.

Try it yourself. Add a “third value” to the pipes. Add a pit. Add electronics. Add brass. Have a bunch of people wearing Tammy Baker levels of mascara run around pointlessly. You can turn pipe bands into kilt-wearing marching wind ensembles! But they ain’t pipe bands.

And drum corps with electronics ain’t drum corps.

Edited by The Oz

Interesting shots taken at the current guards. Not warranted IMO.

NOT SO FAST!

Yeah! Fred Windish for President! Keeping the technology out means keeping the drum and "bugle" corps budget down to were you can have smaller neighborhood corps like in the old days. DCI is moving in the direction of a marching band. If I want to see a marching band I can go to my local educational establishment anytime. I want pure drumcorps!

I've heard the argument that electronics are okay, but only to amplify the front ensemble. Doesn't anyone realize how the door was opened for woodwinds in the first place?! That's going to happen, too. It's just a matter of time. Let's review:

Woodwinds were never going to be possible in drum corps because they were in the wrong key, and you couldn't hear them.

Step 1) Allow instruments in any key.

Step 2) Allow electronics for the purpose of front ensemble amplification.

Step 3) Allow amplification of soloists.

Step 4) Allow amplification of small groups.

Step 5) Allow woodwinds in the I&E competition.

Step 6) I'm sorry... so why can't they be on the field anymore? We've gone down the slippery slope.

If DCA allows electronics FOR ANY REASON, it's just a matter of time till the whole kit and caboodle comes with.

I was okay with the switch from G to Bb because it makes good business sense. I wish it weren't so, but I can accept it. The recent changes in DCI have done nothing more to "further the activity" than adding a new cost and complication. That is why every time I see the souvie stands at DCI shows begging for money for gas & food, I write a nice little note on a piece of paper and drop it in the can - "Sell your amps and we'll talk."

I think maybe less than 5.

I know this might stir up one heck of a controversy, but my personal hope is for electronics, but only for the use of amplifying the front ensemble instruments. Those instruments, especially marimbas and vibraphones, are simply not designed to compete acoustically with the sheer amount of brass power coming from many of the larger corps. Particularly in this setting where the sound is designed to reach a press box that more often than not the brass is aiming their sound towards, while the mallet instruments have no way to direct their sound upwards. In order for many front ensembles to compete with that volume and contribute with the appropriate material, they have to resort to unmusical mallet choices, and techniques that are harmful not only to their instruments, but to themselves as well.

That being said... no synthesizers. Ever. Ever ever ever. Ever. No samplers. I'm not a fan of vocal amplification, either. No bass or guitar or electronic drum pads/kits. I only endorse the thought of adding amplification to acoustic percussion instruments in the front ensemble. I may not have the most popular viewpoint on this, but I'm personally invested in it, and considering my severe tendonitis flare-ups that no longer allow me to play full-time in the pit, I don't want to see my students try to play through the pain that I have for endured for years.

Flame away.

my two worries are this, tho one is for one year only:

1) if you open the barn door, the rest will follow. see DCI.

2) with the stadium as it is in Rochester, you'd have to all but point the amps skyward to get the sound over that front wall and not have it bounce back in the pit and corps' faces.