How much longer...

I think maybe less than 5.

I know this might stir up one heck of a controversy, but my personal hope is for electronics, but only for the use of amplifying the front ensemble instruments. Those instruments, especially marimbas and vibraphones, are simply not designed to compete acoustically with the sheer amount of brass power coming from many of the larger corps. Particularly in this setting where the sound is designed to reach a press box that more often than not the brass is aiming their sound towards, while the mallet instruments have no way to direct their sound upwards. In order for many front ensembles to compete with that volume and contribute with the appropriate material, they have to resort to unmusical mallet choices, and techniques that are harmful not only to their instruments, but to themselves as well.

That being said... no synthesizers. Ever. Ever ever ever. Ever. No samplers. I'm not a fan of vocal amplification, either. No bass or guitar or electronic drum pads/kits. I only endorse the thought of adding amplification to acoustic percussion instruments in the front ensemble. I may not have the most popular viewpoint on this, but I'm personally invested in it, and considering my severe tendonitis flare-ups that no longer allow me to play full-time in the pit, I don't want to see my students try to play through the pain that I have for endured for years.

Flame away.

I won't "flame" you at all. Your opinion has merit. The problem is: the pandora's box that was opened when DCI allowed electronics. That "box" dumped an entire list of non drumcorps instruments in the pit.

Edited by hairbear

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL.... I rarely drink anymore, so one or two beers is about it. (Beer Snob editorial comment: Bud, Coors and Miller do not qualify as "beer." :worthy: )

Now, straight-up cash is a different story. :worthy:

as well as hideously ugly shirts

Speaking for myself only, I can only see electronics possibly killing off corps on the west coast. Unless they stop going to DCA, I see no way in the world corps like Renegades (and Dream?) would be able to buy the equipment and keep the corps afloat. It's hard enough as it is just to raise enough money to fly back east every year.

Edited by skajerk

Speaking for myself only, I can only see electronics possibly killing off corps on the west coast. Unless they stop going to DCA, I see no way in the world corps like Renegades (and Dream?) would be able to buy the equipment and keep the corps afloat. It's hard enough as it is just to raise enough money to fly back east every year.

And transport the equipment and maintain it and find a decent sound tech and and and.

It is simply a bad idea that benefits only a very few - the arrangers who aren't clever enough to produce a top-quality program without another crutch.

For goodness sake, if an instrument needs to be amplified to be heard, what the heck is it doing in a marching ensemble?

For goodness sake, if an instrument needs to be amplified to be heard, what the heck is it doing in a marching ensemble?

AMEN BROTHER!@ If it can't be heard without electronics it does not need to be on the field.

I agree on the cost factor. It absolutely has to be the first and most important consideration, IMO.

OK,just Blue Skying it here but how bout this. After several hours of serious thinking and even more serious drinking....

How about the corps all get together and pitch in and buy 15,000 of those spy type ear pieces that makes you able to hear people talking about you over at the water cooler. Most people have seen the ads on TV.

OK got your interest???

You buy them and rent them out at each show. The cost of the rentals can be reasonable, as the cost would be recouped in about 5 yrs or sooner, if it really catches on. If you think the corps are not loud enough to hear, you rent them.

Hey it sounded good in my head!!!!

Edited by JCSeymour

...till we see electronics in DCA? I am just asking since we have seen so many changes a la DCI (multi key brass). Less than 5? More than 5 but less than 10?

I hope amplification of the pit and synthesizers comes soon. :worthy: Narration, singing, guitars/basses, mic-ing soloists- I can do without! :smile: