New "Local" Drum Corps Circuit?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great someone is trying to start SOMETHING for the average kid to do something fun and affordable in the summer. Make sure about who or WHOM you make you bed with though. DCM and others can attest to this. Anytime money AND power are involved beware...but a great cause it is. Good LUCK!

I think it's great someone is trying to start SOMETHING for the average kid to do something fun and affordable in the summer. Make sure about who or WHOM you make you bed with though. DCM and others can attest to this. Anytime money AND power are involved beware...but a great cause it is. Good LUCK!

True. DCM had alot of Corps for "average" kids. The fact remains, DCM is gone........

Edited by Plankton

True. DCM had alot of Corps for "average" kids. The fact remains, DCM is gone........

Yes, too bad also...and we know why that is, and who or WHOM was the motivating factor in it's demise. Pretty sure it had NOTHING to do with the "kids".

No one suggests pitting NCAA Div 1 ranked football teams against high school teams, and you shouldn't be putting "college" drum corps up against high school corps. If potential members of a "local" corps see from the beginning that they and their corps won't be competitive, because some DCI Finalists will be there at the shows to kick their arses and take their lunch money, they'd be less like to want to participate than they would if they had a format that was designed to reward effort and ingenuity on a scale that was achievable for a small group of volunteer staffers and 40 or 50 local teenagers.

Actually, I did not suggest whether this local/regional activity should be segregated from world-class or not....only that aligning rules with DCI's open-class would allow existing open-class corps to participate.

But now that you mention it, there are two ways of looking at it. Ignoring your remark about WC kicking OC posteriors (separate sheets prevent that), your point has validity, but I have also heard corps directors say that taking their corps to the same places the world-class corps go (i.e. world championships) is a major recruiting draw for them. I'd rather see directors of these corps have both options available to them.

BD salaries go to far more than supporting indoor activities. In fact in many cases the BD is at best peripheral to indoor programs and chooses to let their guard / perc staff run indoor.

I get your point -- I just think you're making way too much of it. IMO most of the dollars spent by an indoor program are raised outside the district budget.

And I get your point....your clarifications are welcome. Yet, I would still point out that the mere existence of a band director, salary provided by our tax dollars, is a vital source of stability for even the most peripheral of related programs. Imagine how many more drum corps would be around today if they each had a full-time employee and a place (school) to call home, all courtesy of school subsidation.

The problem here is that there are so few OC corps outside of CA, that you would need to create quite a few corps in each region just to give the current OC corps someone to compete against. Example: The upper midwest. All that is left in OC is Racine Scouts and Colt Cadets. Legends could be included, but that's kind of a stretch travel-wise. You'd need to create at least three corps just to have a respectable contest. Texas has three corps in Forte, Genesis and Revolution, but, again, more corps are needed in that region to make it feasible to run shows. Who does Music City compete against without having to travel 300+ miles minimum? This region would need 5 or 6 corps alone. The only way this idea of affordable regionalization is going to work, even using the current OC corps, would be to grow at least 15-20 new corps all at once. It could be done, but it will take a lot of people willing to make the leap together.

More corps = more affordable operating models.

More corps = more affordable operating models.

Agreed. BUT, as I pointed out, where do you find the people to start 15-20 corps at the same time so these corps have someone to compete against? It may be much less expensive to operate corps on the regional model than on the DCI model, but it will still take alot of blood, seat and tears to start this many corps at one time. Even just doing this region by region (which is more likely), it is tough enough to get a few people together to volunteer at the local soccer league or indoor guard program. How do you get the number of people it would require to start 4-5 corps in the upper midwest at the same time in the current climate in this country? It seems to me that the volunteerism we saw in drum corps back in the 60's and 70's is long gone. From my experience lately in not only drum corps, but also local things like the arts council, youth sports, and winter guard, very few people volunteer for anything anymore.