New "Local" Drum Corps Circuit?

Another thing I find interesting. We all know DCI does not seem to care about smaller, local corps. But I do not think it has ever been official. This pretty much makes it official. DCI is out of the business of ever promoting a grassroots campaign for building drum corps. That is the only reason I can figure out as to why they posted this on their web site.

I'm confused here.

If DCI does not care about local, smaller corps... why would they put this announcement... about a campaign to help get more local corps off the ground... on their web site?

Seriously...not trying to be sarcastic here. Not sure why they would do this, if they have no interest in smaller corps.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused here. If DCI does not care about local, smaller corps... why would they put this announcement... about a campaign to help get more local corps off the ground... on their web site?

Only the in-group there could know for sure, but it appears to be a DCI attempt to "do something, anything" about the accelerating awareness that the activity is indeed continuing to shrink without displaying any hopes of ever rebounding.

My original post was not meant to belittle anything about this new circuit. I think this is a great idea. My concern was that by posting this on the DCI web site, they have essentially ceded responsibility of smaller, grassroots drum corps to this new organization. And I think that is sad. DCI has the tools and ability to promote small, local corps - but apparently they have decided not to.

Edited by DAvery

Does anyone else find it interesting that DCI is seemingly behind this venture of local circuits? I mean, didn't they actually have a hand in killing all the local circuits?

No, they didn't.

Another thing I find interesting. We all know DCI does not seem to care about smaller, local corps. But I do not think it has ever been official. This pretty much makes it official. DCI is out of the business of ever promoting a grassroots campaign for building drum corps. That is the only reason I can figure out as to why they posted this on their web site.

Then why is this article posted on their site???

My original post was not meant to belittle anything about this new circuit. I think this is a great idea. My concern was that by posting this on the DCI web site, they have essentially ceded responsibility of smaller, grassroots drum corps to this new organization. And I think that is sad. DCI has the tools and ability to promote small, local corps - but apparently they have decided not to.

but...maybe being the quote unquote major leage, and working with but not running the local stuff can actually be for the best. we've seen corps in dci complain about DCI's overhead already in their grab for more money. maybe this type of set up and actually make the junior side of the activity better for all

but...maybe being the quote unquote major leage, and working with but not running the local stuff can actually be for the best. we've seen corps in dci complain about DCI's overhead already in their grab for more money. maybe this type of set up and actually make the junior side of the activity better for all

Banner Day! LOL

We agree... :smile:

Let's not make this a habit.

I would really like to see this work out. Local drum corps was so awesome because it didn't take an entire summer away from a kid, it didn't cost several grand at a minimum to be a member, kids with little to no previous experience had a place to start, kids from lower class and middle class families had a summer outlet, and there were a ton of local people involved in many of these corps.

I think the first thing that needs to happen in order for this to succeed is finding staff members willing to work for very little compensation (like many of the other volunteers that currently travel with corps). Getting used equipment is doable, uniforms, etc., but trying to find music and visual educators to work for only expense money seems to be an almost impossible task in this day and age. I don't know when it happened, but the days of paying a local band director gas and food money in exchange for 8-10 hours a week of instruction at a corps seem to have disappeared.

Good luck to all involved in this endeavor. I hope to attend many DCNA contests in the next few years.