French horns. what a sound

I loved the French Horn so much tha I own one. Marching with the DesPlaines Vanguard they went to Smith horns and sold some of the old horns. I have a valve slide French Horn in the case along with the mouthpiece that came with the horn.

Edited by crash4truck1

I've always been a big FH fan...we had TWENTY frenchies with Kingsmen Alumni in '07...along with twenty mellos. What an astonishing sound! A great middle for 141 horns!

cg

Anyone interested, I have 2 DEG French horns for sale. I have a 3 valve and a 2 valve, both are in excellent condition. If you are interested email me at ddesio5@optonline.net. I will send you pictures and prices...

Edited by Contra Doug

Hey Steve,

"I used them in Steel City in the 80's. I loved 'em! I had #####in' players too!...OK maybe one #####. But she sure was fun!"

I can remember a couple of super players....Miss Debbie, Pat Cavanaugh, Marcee Zaragoza, Lee Wasson, Don Fine, Denny Smith just to mention a few.... You are right, we had some players in that section in the 80's... Lets do it again....

Enjoy the music...

Pgh Guy Bari 2

John G

definitely a group of fine performers there. But I don't recall us having a Mellophone line then - I recall the FHs and the alto horns, but my mind is blank on seeing any mellos in the line.

Debbie is still, well......Debbie!

:lol:

I sure miss frenchies too! MBI used to have some - mostly played by some real characters.. IIRC - I can only remember having 1 or 2 FH's that were of the 2-valve persuasion..All the others were Olds Ultratone P/R's..

We had some really great FH sections over the years, but there always seemd to be 1 or 2 that had that old school BYFBO mentality about playing in the middle..Some moved to other horns after they took them out in favor of an all-mellos mid-voice section, those that did had a hard time adjusting to volume control.. :devil:

When I think of french horn sections in drumcorps, the one that comes to mind is Madison in 75 & 76..The Great 8!!! :lol:

Especially the rips in the 1st push part of Rhapsody in Blue..just amazing!! and..R-F-L !!!

That group that Fran played with were pretty good too ! Although Mr. Peashey - Cru's FH's were to die for- even back in '72!!! :lol:

Pat

I remember the wonderful sound produced by drum corps when the French horn was used.

Would you like to see it make a come back? thoughts..comments... and why did it disappear anyway?

Like Tom Peashey, I originally started out as a trumpet player and began playing in drum corps on a soprano. As soon as I heard the first mellophone I wanted to play one. The transition from trumpet to mello is much easier than the transition from trumpet to French horn because of the mouthpiece. A proper French horn mouthpiece has a very narrow rim. I suspect that many others took the same path as Tom and I - just slip the trumpet mouthpiece into a mello and start playing. It is a lot easier to fill out a middle voice section this way than it is to find people with actual concert French horn experience.

Hank is quite unforgettable... the best even... he killed me in I&E's... as soon as he took out his teeth - I was dead meat... triple tongue expert too... I could play higher, but that was it... in every other way he was quite humbling...

and a GREAT person too.

Yep...thats the guy!!! He ended up marching a couple of years with Cru when the corps was floundering a little in the early 80's. Quite a character.

DA