French horns. what a sound

Yep...thats the guy!!! He ended up marching a couple of years with Cru when the corps was floundering a little in the early 80's. Quite a character.

DA

Donny, double dare you to have the G riders come out with French horns in 2011 !

Shouldn't you ask, "Do you want G bugles back?" before asking, "Do you want French horn bugles back?" Can't have one without the other.

Hello!!! Listen to Scout House Alumni. French Horns in "b" since the earth cooled off.

Donny, double dare you to have the G riders come out with French horns in 2011 !

Honestly...that would be a marvelous fit for the approach we have been taking at Ghost Riders with sound and tone concepts!

Donny

The French Horn never disappeared........it's just laying low.

Aside from several parade and alumni corps, the Renegades AND So Cal Dream fielded french horns competitively in 2010.

That was definately not the original plan. The person that played the frenchie could not/would not play the mello. It was only out of necessity that it was allowed on the field.

That said though, I love the sound of a well tuned frenchie line. In quantity, they have a sound unequaled by any other instrument in the brass line.

Edited by MiniSopGuy

The problems with fielding French Horns are fairly straightforward: The horn is so sensitive, you have to be a nearly completely perfect marcher to pull it off.

In today's junior corps, it's probably all but impossible to field French Horns with today's high tempo whiplash drill. Which stinks, because the sound is SO BEAUTIFUL.

In today's junior DCA corps, it's probably all but impossible to field French Horns with today's high tempo whiplash drill. Which stinks, because the sound is SO BEAUTIFUL.

Not saying impossible, but looking at some of the drills this season I could see it being #### near impossible to do it well.

Who says they have to be used in the whole show, they could be used in a featured segment.

The problems with fielding French Horns are fairly straightforward: The horn is so sensitive, you have to be a nearly completely perfect marcher to pull it off.

In today's junior corps, it's probably all but impossible to field French Horns with today's high tempo whiplash drill. Which stinks, because the sound is SO BEAUTIFUL.

"Perfect Pitch":

Francis "Buzzy" Bergdoll comes to mind. French horn soloist for St Kevins Emerald Knights "Way Back When", VFW National Champion "I & E" several times as well as NEVER having lost an "I & E" contest. He also was a member of the SKEK bugle quartet which won VFW titles in the early 1960's. Now a charter member of the Buglers Hall of Fame.

A great SHOWMAN as well as French Horn soloist was the late great "Pepe" Nataro of the New York Skyliners. Postumously voted into the BHOF.

The late great NY Skyliner (Among many others) arranger/instructor Hy Drietzer also wailed o mean French Horn, and was also voted, postumously, into the Buglers Hall of Fame.

Elphaba

definitely a group of fine performers there. But I don't recall us having a Mellophone line then - I recall the FHs and the alto horns, but my mind is blank on seeing any mellos in the line.

Debbie is still, well......Debbie!

Oh yes, we had Mellos..Condron, Cicco etc. along with Altos and Frenchies. It was a cool idea, but we ditched the Altos as they didn't project past 10 feet.....(Probably an advantage with who was playing them...LOL)

Oh yes, we had Mellos..Condron, Cicco etc. along with Altos and Frenchies. It was a cool idea, but we ditched the Altos as they didn't project past 10 feet.....(Probably an advantage with who was playing them...LOL)

I seem to remember 8 French Horns AND 8 Mellophones as our mid voices. Along with Alto Horns and ONE flugle horn played by Karen Price in 1987.

The 5 Euphoniums we had, never had a problem "projecting"! LOLOL!!