Favorite Dreitzer Tunes

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall him being there in '78,...and I was ADM that year. ???? Oh well, if you guys say so.

Yeah, Bob Pearson on brass and Tony Smith doing visual were those 2 years 78-79

I was just a young pup seeing my first senior show around 1980. "And I'm Telling You" from Dream Girls is one of my favorites. Every time I hear the Broadway tune I flashback to Bridgeport when I first heard Sky play it live.

I always said to myself,

"Self.....if you ever do individuals again, you're going to play "Every Street's a Boulevard""

This is MY favorite Dreitzer tune, hands down!

I'm surprised this has not been given more attention as anyones favorite Dreitzer tune....

Just my $ .02

:tongue:

Since I first heard the '72 Fresh Air Fanfare record - "Little Old New York" and "Elk's Parade" will always be the signature charts by Hy Dreitzer in my opinion.

Not having a chance to hear a lot of his work until MUCH later.

Half of the legend has to be the players who brought his work to life..Like so many of the other great arrangers of the activity, having Hy's work with an outlet for live performance will always stir the blood (and tears) of those who knew him, worked with him, and for him...and especially lots of us that didn't.

When I heard the All-Star corps in the Macy's parade coming into TV view playing "Little Old New York" - I got a bunch of grief from my wife for cheering..Although she's been around for awhile - she had NO CLUE as to why I was going nuts in the living room. I will admit like Mr. Norman that seeing Jimmy Russo out front conducting that piece was JUST a bit odd - but it WAS a big treat to see and hear. the only thing missing was Johnny Grass doing the NY,NY at the end of the fanfare.I felt bad so many of those kids had little or NO idea about the history of that tune and the Skyliners..I am sure the elder statesmen and geezers galore brought them up to speed..

Question for those that were there - did they do "Auld Lang Syne" after that or "Danny Boy"? I thought it was "Syne"..just 'cuz Jimmy Mason needed to have a token Midwest tune in the mix.. :tongue:

Pat

... "Every Street's a Boulevard""

This is MY favorite Dreitzer tune, hands down!

Frank,

That's interesting since there are alot of us that wanted to play it.

It certainly makes a great parade song, and we do use the ending at the reviewing stand and every show we're in.

We actually learned the entire tune about 3 yrs ago in the fall as the intent was to put it in the show, but then we dropped it because it was felt it would have NO crowd appeal ???

Go Figure.

Love the tune and have it my horn case just so I can fool around with it. :tongue:

:tongue:

Since I first heard the '72 Fresh Air Fanfare record - "Little Old New York" and "Elk's Parade" will always be the signature charts by Hy Dreitzer in my opinion.

Not having a chance to hear a lot of his work until MUCH later.

Half of the legend has to be the players who brought his work to life..Like so many of the other great arrangers of the activity, having Hy's work with an outlet for live performance will always stir the blood (and tears) of those who knew him, worked with him, and for him...and especially lots of us that didn't.

When I heard the All-Star corps in the Macy's parade coming into TV view playing "Little Old New York" - I got a bunch of grief from my wife for cheering..Although she's been around for awhile - she had NO CLUE as to why I was going nuts in the living room. I will admit like Mr. Norman that seeing Jimmy Russo out front conducting that piece was JUST a bit odd - but it WAS a big treat to see and hear. the only thing missing was Johnny Grass doing the NY,NY at the end of the fanfare.I felt bad so many of those kids had little or NO idea about the history of that tune and the Skyliners..I am sure the elder statesmen and geezers galore brought them up to speed..

Question for those that were there - did they do "Auld Lang Syne" after that or "Danny Boy"? I thought it was "Syne"..just 'cuz Jimmy Mason needed to have a token Midwest tune in the mix.. :tongue:

Pat

we performed "Auld Lang Syne" in 1992 and "Danny Boy" in 1994

Man, I enjoyed this thread!

Hy will never be remembered for teaching the Oceanside Legionnaires but we'll all remember that one season.

Reading Kenny's definition of arranging made me smile, as did someone's comment about all the horses that Hy had playing his charts (no coincidence there - it's similar to the folks that come out to play the Blue Devils's charts each year).

The thing though is that unlike anyone I've ever heard in drum corps - Hy's "sound" couldn't be copied. His charts conveyed such power and elegance that even when folks tried to lift them something came out a little different.

I think I've heard most of the great arrangers, but I've never heard anyone who equaled Hy in making a brass line sound precisely the way he wanted them to sound, including the energy, the heart, the spirit of the players.

Kerchner came close with Bayonne. Baumgarten with Madison. Couple others - strangely Matt Krempansky with early 90s Crossmen is on that list, but I think that Hy sits in a class all his own. And except for that one year with the Legionnaires, he was always the competiton. You could beat his lines once in a while (not often) but you couldn't beat Hy.

Part of the reason I miss Sky so much, although its one o fthe few places I've never worked or played (except for one indoor show in the late 70s on a bet with Charlie Rat.)

Ray Fallon's on-the-money comments in another thread about Hy Dreitzer quite possibly being the best-ever drum corps brass arranger got me thinking (usually a dangerous thing...LOL)...

What are your favorite Dreitzer-arranged tunes, either from the Skyliners or any of the other corps for which he arranged?

I know this is a tough one to narrow down, but I'll start with a few of my favorites:

At the top my list.... from the Skyliners:

"Little Old New York." To me, this is the quintessential Skyliner tune.

Then... in no particular order:

"Swan Lake/Flight of the Bumblebee" (Skyliners). A great, well-crafted chart.

"Down by the Station" (Skyliners). With one of the best drum corps brass duets ever.

"Comes Love" (Skyliners). This is a "sleeper pick" for me. It was just a bit of traveling music as the out-of-concert tune in 1971, but it was/is sheer genius, IMO.

"Three Blind Mice in Symphony Hall" (Brassmen). A children's tune turned into an ahead-of-its-time drum corps masterpiece.

"West Point Alma Mater" (Brassmen). Stirring. Brilliant.

OK.... your turn. :tongue: