The laws of music licensing

Please read my post more closely about my feelings being irrelevant.

OK. Sorry.

Typically, some composers prefer their music to stay within the same idiom for which it was written. To them, allowing their work to be arranged for drum corps or marching band might be akin to us witnessing an original piece for drum corps arranged for bagpipes.

That's true Mike, but if a brass arranger wants to fit an original composition into a Drum Corps show they're probably going to have to tweak it a little bit. Perc, as I'm sure you're well aware, can be even stranger because you're usually going from set drumming to rudimental drumming. A whole different ballgame. Drum Corps and bagpipes? How DARE you speak of the Kilties that way! :tongue:

Some composers are very protective and very particular about how their work is used. I guess when you start to become successful and see your work used in a joke on Letterman or sampled by rappers, it's understandable if you think it distorts public opinion about your work. As a result, many simply aren't interested in their creative masterpiece, and primary source of income, being "tweaked".

That sucks for all the members that worked hard this summer, just to have part of their performance cut off the dvd.

Didn't the article mention part of Trooper's 2009 performance was edited because of the same thing? That's killer. :sleeping:

It was the entire ballad from the Troopers 2008 show that had to be edited.

Symphonic band composers typically only get 10%. I've never gotten more than that for any of the band or percussion works I've had published.

... and on that Boo... is it true that you wrote a composition for the Cavies 35th in 1983, Jade (I believe)?

(Don't you love that you can go on DCP and actually often get things from the Horse's mouth?)

Perhaps you can share some insights on how things are different for both drum corps and DCI today regarding this licensing.

250 large is very likely more than the corps' arrangers are amassing.

But before you think the composers are raking it in, realize that typically they receive only 15% from The Man.

I wasn't speaking about "corp arrangers." I'm assuming the fees have very little to do with them (whole 'nother topic... doubt seriously anyone "inside" drum corps is getting rich on drum corps). Likewise, I don't believe the original composers are "raking it in"... at all. Most modern day artists have sold their soul to labels anyhow (that's changing) and see very little and/or retain very little rights to their own material.

Expert or not, I do have a problem with an industry that's transformed into little more than a copyright biz (there's a reason majors put out junk), I do have a problem with rights held by proxy in perpetuity, I do have a problem with the level of complexity & confusion present in today's licensing/royalty structure (especially taken within an international context), I have a problem with copyrights obtained/applied to derivative works, regardless of original artist's intent (see "the Amen Break"). I have a myriad of problems with the current structure (mainly, it doesn't work), and yes, I still think $250k for a season's worth of non-profit marching band is absurd.

On the flip side, the current structure is what it is. People pay money for DVDs. One should make sure all the necessary rights are in place prior to putting on the production, or weave in 13 seconds of something else.