Rivalries in DCI.

Most rivalries tend to fade when the corps placement spread becomes too great. If you are fighting with a corps year in and year out to make semis....and within one season they make finals and you are still in 18th place, the rivalry fades fast.

ie In the early nineties Crossmen and Bluecoats were rivals, but that has faded over time. Ten years ago Carolina Crown wasn't even on The Cadets radar, within the past few season they are intense rivals on the field, maybe even off the field.

Makes me think: Any two corps rivals on the field but friendly in the lot? or visa versa?

I had always heard of Phantom and Cavies being the biggest rival.

I have always heard this too. Rockford and Rosemont are very close to one another, and I always thought that they had a rivalry. Especially 2006...

Makes me think: Any two corps rivals on the field but friendly in the lot? or visa versa?

I know that Crossmen and Spirit have managed this quite well. I remember after Allentown in 09 the two corps playing for each other after the show as everyone was leaving the stadium. It was a nice little treat after the show was over.

I can only speak for my time marching (early 90's) but I remember the following:

1990-being a member of Crown we seemed to be at least somewhat competitive rivals with Florida Wave that year ( I do not remember anything off the field )

1991 & 1993 Scouts---there has always been it seems a rivalry with Cavies and to a lesser degree Phantom. It was said PR was cool with you unless you beat them. I don't recall anything serious with PR off the field but I know there was some "banging" of equipment on the field heading out to retreat with Cavies several times on first tour 93. There was some bad blood with Crossmen which I believe started around 1990 when they beat us for the first time but again I believe that was just really competitive on field "feelings"...we never really toured with them my years very much.

We did seem to get along quite well with SCV, Star and Coats my years...I remember hanging out a lot after shows with them...same thing with Colts in 1993.

CM

I know that Crossmen and Spirit have managed this quite well. I remember after Allentown in 09 the two corps playing for each other after the show as everyone was leaving the stadium. It was a nice little treat after the show was over.

The Spirit/Crossmen friendship goes back for years!

Do they exist these days with the MM of today? What were some of the best ones from days gone by? I was in the stands in Dekalb 82, not only one of the best shows ever, but the rivalry between Madison and Phantom for the next 7yrs while I was marching was something I think made our Corps so good those years. That one show made a difference, in my eyes and there were so many more. Just wondering about how others thought about the subject. Id really like to know how the kids feel about it that are marching now, but any responses are fine.

Your question, "Do rivalries between corps still exist" has an entirely different meaning today then compared to the era in which I marched and especially for those that preceded me. Back in the 70's and maybe even the early 80's, the concept of "rivalry" was often times something much more personal then today's meaning. At times, it meant down right hostility and personal retribution. Sometimes, if things weren't cleared up on the field, issues were dealt with off the field. Back in the time when drum corps and shows were predominately local, there was no love lost between us (Madison) and the Cavies, Kilties, PR and Blue Star with a close second being Santa Clara and maybe the Bridgemen. I personally recall several situations that resulted in off field extra curricular activities....a little rumble anyone? One of the most memorable occasions was when a group of guys from Santa Clara and the Blue Devils decided to collectively join forces and do something about us stealing their girlfriends away from them while on tour. Their attempted "smack down" occurred after one of the Drums Along the Rockies shows somewhere in Colorado (something ____Hot Springs???). All I can say is, BIG MISTAKE! It was ugly and fast. Lets just say that after that evening, we seemed to have an abundance of California girls gracing our Madison confines. But this was nothing compared to the stories I've heard from "old timers" that marched in the 50's and 60's. I've listened to first hand accounts of those particularly from East Coast corps that would regularly "take it to the streets"! Yes, the good old days of a friendly rivalry!

Edited by Mad75

I had always heard of Phantom and Cavies being the biggest rival.

Phantom beating Cavaliers twice in over a decade is hardly considered a rivialry

i think Cavaliers vs Blue Devils is a big rivalry

maybe not back in the day, but Cavies and BD have dominated the 2000's

with the exception of 2 years, its either BD or Cavaliers

plus they are the two most consistent corps in the top 5

nuff said

• Like 1