On the cusp...

I think Rennick's addition will prompt a rise in the percussion caption, but can also boost GE, and even brass scores, when taking their show's arrangement into consideration. We'll see.

Can't speak for Crown, but BD had an unusually low number of age-outs this past year. One of last year's members told me out of the 76 horns, only 15 or 16 were aging out. Usually that number is in the lower 30s.

I had heard high 30's. If this is the case then throw them into a 3way race for first

I had heard high 30's. If this is the case then throw them into a 3way race for first

1. Cavaliers

2. Blue Devils

3. Cadets

4. Crown

5. Bluecoats

6-8. Blue Stars, Phantom, SCV....can;t decide what order to put them in

9. Madison

10. Boston

11. Blue Knights

12. Glassmen

As much as I would love to see Crwon win it this year, I have a hard time seeing that as a possibility. I think their best shot at it will be at the title will most likely be within the next three years though.

---------------------------

Troopers

lots of staff leaving , not sure where to put them. wish them the best.

----------------------

Just needed to put some more information here since people do pay attention to comments like the one made above:

1. All caption heads from last year returned for 2011.

2. I'm seeing many familiar names in all of the tech staffing.

3.The music arranger for 2011 (David Reeves) was last year's percussion arranger - and he writes tasty stuff.

4. The people who designed the last 2 shows - people I admire and respect - are not returning. Perhaps this is where you got the idea that there was "lots" of staff leaving? In any case, the design team for 2011 is William Chumley (program coordinator), David Reeves (music), Nick Benson and Adam Oswald (visual). In short, the only person new to the corps in that group is William Chumley.

I guess what I'm saying is that your statement could be misleading to the untrained drum corps eye. I don't think it was intentional on your part, but I thought it important to give the full picture.

It's difficult to comment on predictions before I've even heard the reps. I would guess that BD and Cavies would be near the top. Cadets and Crown probably too. Based on the last several years, Bluecoats can be up there too. As soon as I hear more reps, I take a shot at a prediction. I'm normally pretty close in my predictions.

I believe that Madison will continue to climb. My real desire is to see 5-8 make 1-4 sweat, and everyone for everyone to be even better than before.

the 15 ex members of the Academy that are in the Blue Devil hornline are going back to the Academy to help them get to finals

This is actually the opposite of the truth, bd had a very small age-out class this year, considering what it usually is, especially in the hornline. Please use factual evidence when suggesting something like this.

1. Blue Devils (They reload)

2. Cavaliers (Will make a run at BD. Will be close)

3. Crown (Tradition of excellence continues)

I think any of these three could win, but Blue Devils have the edge due to tradition and attitude. They are being chased and to be beaten the other two will really have to be head and shoulders better.

4. Cadets (ditto Crown)

5. SCV (Could be higher but landed here for me.)

6. Bluecoats (The next three will assert themselves and move forward)

7. Boston

8. Blue Stars,

9. Phantom (Staff changes will lower final placement this year. After that watch out)

10. Madison (Build on success from last year and will reestablish themselves as perenial Top 12)

11. Crossmen (With all the staff changes there is a renewed vigor and focus. The product (show design) will be much better, exciting, and conducive to success. The big determiner is can they get their veterans back in mass and recruit some other quality talent to increase the level of performance. I believe their recruitment efforts will bare fruit and the focus and show design for this corps will move them forward from 17 to 11. They could even end up a little higher or a little lower (capt. obvious here), but they will not be in 17th at the end. Bones will make a statement this year for the positive and lay the groundwork for a successful run in the next years to come.)

12. Blue Knights (They had their most popular show in years and really should have placed higher in the end but did not. This will hurt some momentum but they are still a good organization and if everything falls their way they could make a move even higher.)

Between Spirit, Colts, Academy, Glassmen, and Troopers, they will improve, but will fall in the 13-17 category. To my knowledge they haven't made substantive changes and that could be good (consistency) or bad by being complacent. I think with X-Men making so many changes, things could click and be this year's Madison. I don't think Madison will lose their momentum from 2010 and slide backwards.

Just one guy's thoughts.