Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

It's painfully obvious how cheesy Crown is this year. I don't get all the rationalizations. Do drum corps fans actually sit down, listen to a corps playing "Bohemian Rhapsody" and think, "Yeah, this is good!" If so, how much ketchup do you put on your hot dogs, a gallon? And do you wear a beanie?

• Like 3

Crown and Vanguard both have excellent - albeit very different - shows. Vanguard's show may be too difficult for the talent level of the corps, but the thoughtfulness and elegance of the design reaffirms to me why Vanguard is my favorite corps.

Crown is getting a lot of grief for the "cheese", but after seeing the show live I don't find it any more cheesy than anything else on the field. If they half-a##ed it would be cheesy, but the kids buy into the concept so completely and sell it so well that it really, really works. And between goofy guard costumes, PVC houses, teen vampires, spy towers, ESOM, those ubiquitous but poorly conceived faux-intellectual "themes", etc., Rach Star doesn't stand out to me as being particularly cheesy. That's just me. It's refreshing to see a corps actually lighten up and have some fun on the field, even if it's contrived fun.

I hope Crown and Vanguard continue to do what they do best. They reliably avoid the bland drum corps generica that so many other groups churn out year after year. I like the programmatic diversity both groups bring to the table. While I realize everyone has their likes and their dislikes, I can't help but feel a little sorry for the impoverished mindset that can't enjoy both Crown and Vanguard's 2011 productions.

• Like 5

I'm shocked by this. Back in 2004 when Crown was singing Rent songs in their ballad, people were FURIOUS, as they should have been. What happened to you DCP? When did you get soft?

• Like 2

It's painfully obvious how cheesy Crown is this year. I don't get all the rationalizations. Do drum corps fans actually sit down, listen to a corps playing "Bohemian Rhapsody" and think, "Yeah, this is good!" If so, how much ketchup do you put on your hot dogs, a gallon? And do you wear a beanie?

If only they had done like half the other groups taken some trendy wind band music, arranged it beyond all recognition, set it to a theme that is only explained in a 5,000 word spiel on their website that bears little relation to the actual field show, and stuck the guard in a goofball costume that makes them look like some sort of quadruped insect.

That's real drum corps . . .

• Like 5

If only they had done like half the other groups taken some trendy wind band music, arranged it beyond all recognition, set it to a theme that is only explained in a 5,000 word spiel on their website that bears little relation to the actual field show, and stuck the guard in a goofball costume that makes them look like some sort of quadruped insect.

" like"

That's real drum corps . . .

Crown and Vanguard both have excellent - albeit very different - shows. Vanguard's show may be too difficult for the talent level of the corps, but the thoughtfulness and elegance of the design reaffirms to me why Vanguard is my favorite corps.

Crown is getting a lot of grief for the "cheese", but after seeing the show live I don't find it any more cheesy than anything else on the field. If they half-a##ed it would be cheesy, but the kids buy into the concept so completely and sell it so well that it really, really works. And between goofy guard costumes, PVC houses, teen vampires, spy towers, ESOM, those ubiquitous but poorly conceived faux-intellectual "themes", etc., Rach Star doesn't stand out to me as being particularly cheesy. That's just me. It's refreshing to see a corps actually lighten up and have some fun on the field, even if it's contrived fun.

I hope Crown and Vanguard continue to do what they do best. They reliably avoid the bland drum corps generica that so many other groups churn out year after year. I like the programmatic diversity both groups bring to the table. While I realize everyone has their likes and their dislikes, I can't help but feel a little sorry for the impoverished mindset that can't enjoy both Crown and Vanguard's 2011 productions.

I disagree that people who don't enjoy one or the other have impoverished mindsets. The same could be said for the people who don't like what you just described as generic drum corps. Assuming by your latest post, you're not a huge fan of The Cavaliers show this year, which I happen to find immensely entertaining, and people on that side of the fence could argue that you're missing out in a big way. I don't believe that because I dislike Crown this year that I'm not getting full value out of the season; I just don't like the show. I don't like that they have, in your words, taken a piece and arranged it beyond recognition (specifically, Symphonic Dances), and I dislike the abruptness with which they belt out Bohemian Rhapsody. That being said, the hornline is unbelievable, the drumline is playing the heck out of a book filled with notes. truth be told, I think the drumline has been somewhat underscored the entire season.

Interesting sidenote, I've always kind of scoffed at people who are saying this activity is becoming more like WGI, but have any of you percussion fans noticed some resemblances between Cavies this year and MCM 2010? I'm not trashing the cavies, as I mentioned earlier, I love them this year. I just think it's interesting.

I disagree that people who don't enjoy one or the other have impoverished mindsets. The same could be said for the people who don't like what you just described as generic drum corps. Assuming by your latest post, you're not a huge fan of The Cavaliers show this year, which I happen to find immensely entertaining, and people on that side of the fence could argue that you're missing out in a big way. I don't believe that because I dislike Crown this year that I'm not getting full value out of the season; I just don't like the show. I don't like that they have, in your words, taken a piece and arranged it beyond recognition (specifically, Symphonic Dances), and I dislike the abruptness with which they belt out Bohemian Rhapsody. That being said, the hornline is unbelievable, the drumline is playing the heck out of a book filled with notes. truth be told, I think the drumline has been somewhat underscored the entire season.

Interesting sidenote, I've always kind of scoffed at people who are saying this activity is becoming more like WGI, but have any of you percussion fans noticed some resemblances between Cavies this year and MCM 2010? I'm not trashing the cavies, as I mentioned earlier, I love them this year. I just think it's interesting.

Really I'm quite fond of Cavies 2011 . . . superficially, at least, and not perhaps in the way the designers intended. Only after I wrote my description of the generic DCI show did I realize how closely it resembled the Cavies, who I don't think have a generic show. But there is a well trod genericism in drum corps (and marching band, and WGI) and I appreciate any corps willing to strike out in a different direction, which is why I find Crown so refreshing.

And I totally respect your reasons for not liking Rach Star. Had you expressed them like that in the first place it might have saved a lot of typing.

• Like 1

I soleley wanted to add a compliment, but as this mean-spirited post came up on my screen, I will reply and THEN post what I had initially wanted to say:

@alBAC -- The reason DC fans sit down with a hot dog and munch on it whilst a TOP SIX DC plays this great composiion is that it is a DC CLASSIC.

To save space, this chart has been made famous on the field of honor by:

78 Sundowners

79 Madison

04 Crown

02 Renegades

Ill stop there

If this is a knock on the kids' ability or discipline or espirit de corps, you are out of line

/rant

My heart swells everytime a new corps grows out of the mire of 16th, 13th, 11th, 20th ... and suddenly becomes a contender for not just the top three - but a ring.

With VK, we were back and forth with Crown competitively, but as Units, we always had great fun after shows. The Brass Caption Head was this way cool guy I knew only as Donkey Kong. Despite 3000 miles, I considered marching there in 97 because I wanted to play lead in Donkey Kong's line.

MAD RESPECT AND a tip of the Aussie to YOU Crown.

the diff. between a 93 and above is EMOTION. Standing O's, SHOCKING the judges/fans, and bringing the house down. @93.whatever. you are likely close technical perfection. "GE" frequently separate the top3 and 456.

Best of luck from a left-coaster. ps - brass - AIR.

• Like 3

More west coast love for Crown. I really like this show, I love the pairings of the music, Queen and Rachmaninoff, never thought I'd hear that. And before the pre-show, I never knew We Will Rock You and Sweet Child of Mine lined up so perfectly. I learned something from that.

I just wish Crown could come out West.... Last time I got to see them live in California was '07 FInals. It's time for a return trip guys. :thumbup:

Oh, and good luck with the new ending, can't wait to see what it is this weekend on Fan Network. Really hope to see Crown fight for a ring more and more in these next couple of years, great to see them move all the way up, from Div.2/3, up through the ranks, all the way to the top!

• Like 5

I sometimes find poorly designed shows entertaining if the members are doing insane things. Take BD the past two years. Those shows were boring as hell, but when I watched them it's like "wowwwww they move so well" so I enjoyed it. That being said, Crown's show is entertaining and they perform the crap out of it.

• Like 2