Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

After viewing the show a few times, I'm still digging it overall.

I do feel like the section after the ballad loses energy (of course, the tag picks back up nicely), but perhaps that's the kids not having enough gas just yet for all 14 or so minutes. "Iron Man" quotes in the end of the opener are awesome.

My main draw is that this doesn't try to take itself seriously: there's a lot of ways Crown could have went with this concept, and I like that this is more towards the Velvet Knights side of things. I hope we'll see less of "leg-kicks for movements sake", and more of the "rocker" stuff ( the windmill nod at the end of Paint it Black for example) to drive the theme home and give the audience some yuks as well.

If anything, maybe the guard and corps can take things even more over the top: is the VK shark still around for an appearance at Finals to eat Nick (the synth player)? :tongue:

Just watched the Video from the Central Indiana show.

I am starting to love this show, It is shame the start didn't work all that well, there was a bit of a mix up it seemed with the other corps leaving. This show has a ton of potential still, and I noticed a for more things they added.

Crown, is going to be a force to reckon with this year I think, and I think there show will be a crowd favorite by finals.

Personaly I stronly dislike the show. I think the fact that the Brass doesnt play a not untill almost 3 minutes in is rediculous. I think that the fact that they play over the actual tracks instead of aranging the tracks into music is silly. I dont think the Battery sounds good, nor does their part sound like it goes with the music. Changing between songs is sounds like a jumbled up mess. Its just an overall bad arangment.

Uuh. Sir. The first three minutes are pre-show and not judged content. If you recall last year, the pre-show was brass well now it is the percussions turn. The actual first note of the show is as many F's as allowed without distorting the sound.

Michael Klesch is one of the best arrangers out there, and this years Crown is no exception.

Your post is actually a jumbled up mess.

• Like 4

Uuh. Sir. The first three minutes are pre-show and not judged content. If you recall last year, the pre-show was brass well now it is the percussions turn. The actual first note of the show is as many F's as allowed without distorting the sound.

Michael Klesch is one of the best arrangers out there, and this years Crown is no exception.

Your post is actually a jumbled up mess.

I think he's going for that William Faulkner "stream of consciousness" style. It's a higher plane of thinking.

I'm not a huge fan of Crown, but they are true performers!!!!

Personaly I stronly dislike the show. I think the fact that the Brass doesnt play a not untill almost 3 minutes in is rediculous. I think that the fact that they play over the actual tracks instead of aranging the tracks into music is silly. I dont think the Battery sounds good, nor does their part sound like it goes with the music. Changing between songs is sounds like a jumbled up mess. Its just an overall bad arangment.

My guess: flame bait. This can't possibly be a serious post.

• Like 1

Having marched Crown last year, I can easily say that Michael was most excited about doing a show like this for quite some time. I see that he has done a fantastic job with the brass book! The show still has plenty of potential and I can't wait to see it again on July 8th at Bowling Green. I'll try to post a review for that show as well. It'll probably come the day after.

The closer will most likely change into something similar to Phantom 07 "Flocking" I would only assume and the music will be a different arrangement I figure as well. Most of the top 5 change the ending the last 2 weeks of tour just so the judges have something to "WOW" about. I was going to post a review of the Muncie show but DCP didn't make my account official until today tongue.gif. I can still post my review if anyone wants to hear it.

The things that I noticed from Muncie though were that the corps started to lose energy near the end of the show. There was almost a tear in the closer as well that I'm sure didn't help. Looking forward to July 8th, then a long wait until finals!

The things that I noticed from Muncie though were that the corps started to lose energy near the end of the show. There was almost a tear in the closer as well that I'm sure didn't help.

I likewise noticed on the Fan Network tape replay of their performance in Muncie that Crown almost got a tear in the 2nd half of their performance. It sounded like the tempo almost got away from them in " Paint it Black" and was going too fast ( compared to the nite before in Saginaw ).

That said, I really like Crown's show this year. " Paint it Black " is cool and hip ( not " cheesy " as some have said ). This is a completely different vibe from them this year with this show, and I'm lovin' it.

Edited by BRASSO

*bump*

(page 3? cool.gif)

Wouldn't "chestbump" be more appropriate here?

LOL! :)