2011 World Class Repertoires

As one of the militant "It's all about the Music" T-Rex's on here, the musical selections of Carolina Crown are a breath of fresh air. They apparently "Get It."

:thumbup::worthy:

As much as there is that I dislike in current D.C.I., (Amps, synths, voice, props, wretched excess Pits, B flat brass, Formica counter top/Folgers coffee can drumlines, prancing and emoting Guards, themed shows) none of that will prevent me from enjoying a show; ONLY the off the wall unrecognizable music will.

There appears to be a few more recognizable pieces overall than in previous years, but unfortunately, according to this list of repertoires, most still don't "Get It. Too many are still stubbornly trying to preserve the artsy fartsy staus quo by spewing out more stuff that's only recognizable to college music majors.............

• Like 4

There appears to be a few more recognizable pieces overall than in previous years, but unfortunately, according to this list of repertoires, most still don't "Get It. Too many are still stubbornly trying to preserve the artsy fartsy staus quo by spewing out more stuff that's only recognizable to college music majors.............

I dislike it when people pull out the "recognizable" card. Because a song/piece of music isn't "good" just based on whether you recognize the title alone, or have heard it before. It's GREAT that drum corps can share "unrecognizable" songs that become an instant hit with the audience. We should NOT be restricting drum corps repertoire based solely on whether a majority of people "recognize" the music.

And just because a drum corps is using a currently unrecognized selection that does NOT mean that the corps is doing anything "artsy fartsy". God forbid the use of unrecognizable music allows us to enjoy something new and different... :rolleyes:

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 4

http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/news.pl?cmd=showstory&id=1068

Cavaliers, surprised no one posted it yet.

Got it. I spotted it in the main Cavies 2011 thread an posted the show details yesterday.

yes..........and no. kind of. but not really.

that would have been a good tag line for their 2010 show....

As one of the militant "It's all about the Music" T-Rex's on here, the musical selections of Carolina Crown are a breath of fresh air. They apparently "Get It."

:thumbup::worthy:

As much as there is that I dislike in current D.C.I., (Amps, synths, voice, props, wretched excess Pits, B flat brass, Formica counter top/Folgers coffee can drumlines, prancing and emoting Guards, themed shows) none of that will prevent me from enjoying a show; ONLY the off the wall unrecognizable music will.

I agree and disagree with you, sir.

At one point, someone has had to introduce an (at the time) obscure piece of music and, as a result, has made it iconic. To hinder/criticize creative control of a show is a mistake, in my opinion. Example: BK did the Finale to Brahms' 1st Symphony in 2010 as their closer - something completely to the drum corps field. Fans ate that stuff up and left humming it. I had never heard of Brahms before BK played his stuff. He is now definitely my favorite composer. I listen to the Berliner Philharmoniker versions of his symphonies on a weekly basis. I found "obscure music" because a drum corps played it. :D

I do agree that corps sometimes use technology as a crutch for technique, however. ;)

• Like 3

I agree and disagree with you, sir.

At one point, someone has had to introduce an (at the time) obscure piece of music and, as a result, has made it iconic. To hinder/criticize creative control of a show is a mistake, in my opinion. Example: BK did the Finale to Brahms' 1st Symphony in 2010 as their closer - something completely to the drum corps field. Fans ate that stuff up and left humming it. I had never heard of Brahms before BK played his stuff. He is now definitely my favorite composer. I listen to the Berliner Philharmoniker versions of his symphonies on a weekly basis. I found "obscure music" because a drum corps played it. :D

I do agree that corps sometimes use technology as a crutch for technique, however. ;)

Yes and no.

Yes... If it wasn't for early 1980s Blue Devils, I probably wouldn't know who Stan Kenton was. It was those early brass arrangements that pushed me to go and find out more and for that I am forever in their debt.

No... However, if I was new to Drum Corps and watched 2010 Blue Devils, I still might not know/care who he was. I'm not sure their 2010 arrangements would inspire to many newbies to find out more about the composer.

I now enjoy BD 2010 Kenton as much as I enjoy BD 1980 Kenton but I know Drum Corps and understand that every corps isn't cut from the same tree.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB