Most INFAMOUS show ever?

Infamous: “Having a reputation of the worst kind; producing a notoriously evil act”. Merriam-Webster

Over the years I have seen a few shows that have tended to insult a number of people in the audience, but does any corps or show actually stand up to this dictionary definition of Infamous?

I really wouldn't worry about the dictionary definition; I think (at least I hope) everyone's got the vibe of the thread. And I hope it doesn't become the "Your show's so bad..." thread. There's plenty of that elsewhere, and while I don't mind it, it's not what I'm after in this one. 'm seriously looking for what shows generated interesting, controversial responses in people and why. Like the shows I mentioned, or the Reveries in 66, etc.

I think the 1988 Spirit of Atlanta is a show I would consider infamous. It was so unlike anything you would have expected from them. The choice of Stravinsky's Petrouchka was way out there. I loved it. The uniform change was out there also. Hideous. I hated it.

It's really a shame that the visuals took away from a great musical book and fantastic hornline.

I would tend to agree. Although I liked the unis a little more than you I think, and I loved them on the guard.

Crossmen 83 might fit in this criterion as well.

Second is Suncoast Sound 1984, with the most political show in DCI history, in fact the only overtly political show in DCI history.

Tom I would say Garfield's 1971 was in the same category. Vietnam was still going on and their war & peace show was certainly controversial if not political.

I really wouldn't worry about the dictionary definition; I think (at least I hope) everyone's got the vibe of the thread. And I hope it doesn't become the "Your show's so bad..." thread. There's plenty of that elsewhere, and while I don't mind it, it's not what I'm after in this one. 'm seriously looking for what shows generated interesting, controversial responses in people and why. Like the shows I mentioned, or the Reveries in 66, etc.

Since you are the OP and have established the vibe of the thread:

Post Y2k -

2010 Devils – Vanity with Mirrors!

2009 Devils – What risk? That was just plain Absurd.

2008 Cadets – Daddy, please tell me a bedtime story.

2006 Cadets - Kill Da Wabbit! And Table for 500!

2005 Cadets – Ok, how about the story of Alice in the Outhouse?

2005 Devils – Please yell at me through the PA system!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

I think of it more as "polarizing" shows. The ones I can think of immediately -

Star of Indiana 1993 (The Music of Barber and Bartok) - obvious reasons. Even Star admitted the goal was to make the audience angry.

Cadets 2006 (Through the Looking Glass) - This had it all - characters, voice, singing, paisly uniform panels on the "classic" jacket and pink tables. I think it probably generated more DCP debate than any other show.

Honorable mention - 2004 Carolina Crown and 2004 Boston Crusaders - at the time, I would have put them on the list for their use of choir and narration, but it seems like time has kind of blunted the opinions of most folks about the shows. (doesn't help that they're on Disc 2, so they get less play than the top two shows I mentioned)

Mike

Tom I would say Garfield's 1971 was in the same category. Vietnam was still going on and their war & peace show was certainly controversial if not political.

But not DCI. You're right though.

In the time period that I've been around drum corps, there are two shows

tied at the top for "Most Imfamous":

1971 Cavies "Clown Show".

1993 Star of Indiana.

Both shows were viewed by many as the ruin of the activity.

Edited by J.C.

Since you are the OP and have established the vibe of the thread:

Post Y2k -

2010 Devils – Vanity with Mirrors!

2009 Devils – What risk? That was just plain Absurd.

2008 Cadets – Daddy, please tell me a bedtime story.

2006 Cadets - Kill Da Wabbit! And Table for 500!

2005 Cadets – Ok, how about the story of Alice in the Outhouse?

2005 Devils – Please yell at me through the PA system!

I'd add 07 Cadets, 04 Boston and 04 Crown to this decade.

90's...93 Star, because for as many of us adore it, many hate it, and I'd throw in 92 too.91 cadets gets its fair shore of abuse as does Cavies 97 Firebird and the whole woosh thing

80'...88 Suncoast and Spirit for sure