Rules Congress

Everyone keeps repeating the great talking point that it's "Not an Applause Meter", yet it's my knowledge that exactly what it IS was left as yet undefined by the rules congress. THAT is the scary part. I do admire and support the desire to make the judges results mirror what the crowd thinks they saw - I agree that is the key to fans returning again and again. However, it seems, at least for now, there's a HUGE gray area that has yet to be agreed upon as to how it is going to work. The key to this being effective will be for there to be clear guidelines and judges that are WELL TRAINED in what those guidelines are. Can DCA assure that will happen? Has that been happening in the past?

i have the sheets in front of me... other than a final decision on the "name" for the bottom box... looks pretty complete to me... if you wish to make allegations that "what it IS was left as yet undefined by the rules congress"... don't post anonymously and say who you are quoting. Otherwise, you simply come across as someone who is trying to cause trouble by distorting the truth for some unknown reason. Except for some technical cleanup that is always required by the caption chiefs, the product presented by the task force, approved by the caucuses and then approved by the voting directors is complete. There is no "HUGE gray area that has yet to be agreed upon".

I do agree with you that it is up to DCA to insure that the judges use the sheets in the way intended - and that means education of judges.

You're telling me that a corps from Rochester, NY competeing at a show in Rochester, NY isnt going to have a ton of family/friends/fans from Rochester, NY at that show? Or are from NY state? I doubt that. I also doubt that judges can ignore crowd reaction.

Im just going with what I read on here that people find Empires shows more entertaining. I dont. MBI and Bucs were more entertaining to me at finals. I find Empire to be corny (go ahead rip me apart for saying that). To me it feels like corps will not be as clean just to get better GE with props and what not.

DCA has to do what it has to do to get butts in the seats but my butt will no longer be one of them if corps that are dirty but are more "fun" are beating corps that are more technical and clean.

(BTW Im not trying to hate on Empire, just using them because they apply to my points)

You might have a point for a regular season show,............maybe,.........but when good seats cost $82.00 for finals, I doubt the local home grown walk up fan is as large a factor as you are suggesting,...............

The new box also includes wording that you must use an assortment of BBQ grills, multiple Elvis impersonators and a Hockey Penalty Box in order to gain a portion of the 5% !!! :ph34r::devil:

that's the DCA South inclusion clause... or shall we call it the Kulinski guidline?

this is how i feel but i've been rebutted. it's no longer how clean you are but how entertaining you are. so those of us who have these feelings are being left behind but that's fine. they must look to themselves and try to put people in the stands. it's a different game now.

I'm with ya on this one......Cheap props and I do mean cheap I never understood. cheese WIZZZZZZZZ being called entertainment,PLEASEEEEEEEE.I dont mind all this stuff if done well BUT I guess Taste is an individual thing.Or lack there of!!!!!!!!

I'm with ya on this one......Cheap props and I do mean cheap I never understood. cheese WIZZZZZZZZ being called entertainment,PLEASEEEEEEEE.I dont mind all this stuff if done well BUT I guess Taste is an individual thing.Or lack there of!!!!!!!!

yeah i know. but drum corps has really passed me by. i like when things are done classy. but it dosen't matter. they are not looking for me and my kind. and that's all well & good. they need to look out for themsleves and see if they can grow DCA with out us. they will have to sooner or later anyway. in my day we inovated and the old timers didn't like what we did but we did our best and it worked. let's see if what they are proposing will work for them. does any body know what size the average corps is now? what is the average size of attendance at shows? with costs going way up they need to expand and i don't see it happening so far. maybe this will work.

yeah i know. but drum corps has really passed me by. i like when things are done classy. but it dosen't matter. they are not looking for me and my kind. and that's all well & good. they need to look out for themsleves and see if they can grow DCA with out us. they will have to sooner or later anyway. in my day we inovated and the old timers didn't like what we did but we did our best and it worked. let's see if what they are proposing will work for them. does any body know what size the average corps is now? what is the average size of attendance at shows? with costs going way up they need to expand and i don't see it happening so far. maybe this will work.

So tell me then, why are you so different because YOU chose what is innovative and what is classy?

I'm sorry you don't like the direction things are going, but it's just like the generation before you didn't like the direction you were going........

You can't claim to be innovative and truly believe that process stops with you. Very short sided.

Sorry Don, but there was an awful lot of class out there on the field this year. You may have not liked it and no I'm not saying I liked every show, but they too did their best and IMO and I think more than a few other peoples' it worked VERY WELL.

Innovation is an interesting thing. It is defined as:

1. origination: the act or process of inventing or introducing something new

2. new idea or method: a new invention or way of doing something

"suspicious of fax machines and other technological innovations"

The use they give there reminds me of you. You are suspicious of what is out there now because you don't like it and it goes beyond what you personally can grasp as drum corps. From someone who grew up in a different era than you, maybe I would have felt the same about the innovations that came about in the mid-late 80's, or 90's even, if I had been in that era with you. But I wasn't, and while the above is what I'd consider to be "my era" I see what is out there as progress from where we were, not an insult to what we did.

And I look very much forward to see what DCA has in store for 2011.

So tell me then, why are you so different because YOU chose what is innovative and what is classy?

I'm sorry you don't like the direction things are going, but it's just like the generation before you didn't like the direction you were going........

You can't claim to be innovative and truly believe that process stops with you. Very short sided.

i think you don't understand what i was saying. i may not like the direction things are going but back in the day the old guys didn't like what we did. for us what we did worked. i don't know what's going to happen now. but they have to do what they think is best. the process does not stop with me. it continues. what i was saying is they have to try something. they have lost the older generation through health and age. the next are coming up and they will do what they will to keep it going. i guess you didn't get my point.