Rules Congress

Well, I was on the field in Empire in 88, and I have a hard time remembering. Over the 3 years I was in the corps we had tanks with CO2 and guard members popping out of the top, Uncle Sam top hats,color=pre extravaganzas and a various assortment of "stuff" on the field. Cheezy? Maybe to some, but the crowd loved it. One reason I think it was effective is that we played the hell out of those charts. Had the horn and drum line been less effective, it would have multipled the cheeze factor exponentially. Check out the writers, arrangers and soloists from those years. Some of the biggest names in the activity, and I learned so much from all of them.

I would totally agree with you there... Empire has had some of the best hrn lines in CA over many years.

I know the Caballeros had a "never out of the top 5" streak from 1970 through 2001. Also pretty impressive!

They've been lower than 5th place only four times since joining DCA in 1966.

1968 (8th), 1969 (7th), 2002 (6th), and 2005 (7th)

I know the Caballeros had a "never out of the top 5" streak from 1970 through 2001. Also pretty impressive!

yeah, that's pretty ####### amazing

As I try to fathom how changing the judging criteria mid season will bode well for 2011. Anyone who designed and started to learn their show based on the old sheets has to scrap it all and is now two plus months behind the competition. And it doesn't sound like the sheets favor small corps at all. So get bigger or DIE? Is that really the optimum route for growth? Is that to have only one competition and one nationals a year? Which is about all that those of us in the skirts currently see of DCA. If we see that.

As I try to fathom how changing the judging criteria mid season will bode well for 2011. Anyone who designed and started to learn their show based on the old sheets has to scrap it all and is now two plus months behind the competition. And it doesn't sound like the sheets favor small corps at all. So get bigger or DIE? Is that really the optimum route for growth? Is that to have only one competition and one nationals a year? Which is about all that those of us in the skirts currently see of DCA. If we see that.

Unless you are referring to DCI, the judging criteria for DCA will NOT change mid season. Additionally, the new sheets are designed to evaluate corps of ALL SIZES and programs of all varieties. These sheets encourage solid performance qualities, creativity, and entertainment. Some of the most entertaining and creative corps in DCA are of the smaller variety...many, many of the A corps were very entertaining and did very well and will grow as a result of these new sheets, whether that be in size of corps or quality is irrelevant.

The Rules Congress was not held in secret. Every corps knew it was coming, and it would behoove them to consider that rules tend to change at something called a Rules Congress. Additionally, changing the weighting of GE and how it's judged isn't something that is a new idea...it's been discussed for years. If your corps didn't see this coming, your admin and design team is naive.

As for your size comment, I should hope any judging system doesn't favor smaller corps.

Let me make sure I understand your post. Are you saying:

1. December is "mid-season"?

2. Any show design created with pre-2011 sheets in mind is so far off the mark that it must be completely scrapped?

3. Sheets should "favor small corps"?

Ok now this thread is complete. Shadow came in and came up with even more rediculous and unfounded reasons to bash DCA.

We can close the thread now. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ok now this thread is complete. Shadow came in and came up with even more rediculous and unfounded reasons to bash DCA.

We can close the thread now. :rolleyes:

Thanks Liz... I was thinking that...

I'll only hasten to point out that unlike DCI, the judging community has only a "gentle guidance" part in the rules congress for DCA... The bulk of the suggestions and all of the decision making come from a task force of staff members from a variety of corps who have been working behind the scene for months. (I know how much time was put in because my son-in-law was on the task force). The general direction of the rules congress was known by all directors well before they completed any show concepts for 2011.

No matter that you have 64 horns or 18... if your program leaves the audience anxious to buy a ticket next week - we will have succeeded.... that is the bottom line...

• Like 1