Cavaliers vs. Blucoats 2010 Color Guard

I think that cavaliers 2010 in all honesty was superior to bluecoats in every way except maybe the hornline. I thought that bluecoats had a fantastic hornline this year, and they were very good. Visually IMHO, cavaliers were the best corps on the field saturday night.

To the original poster, your first mistake was to even believe that Bluecoats guard book was remotely close to Cavies equipment book.

I agree that the Cavies had the superior Guard. They were electrifying! The big difference explaining the score could be the difficulty. I don't have the DVDs to confirm but if memory form finals and regionals I attended serves me correct the Cavies had a far more complicated program with very tough catches and complicated rifle work.

Not a guard person so all I can really say is Cavies guard entertained me more.

The bit where they turned a rifle catch into a percussive crack rocked!

There were lots of 'interesting things' about the guard judging at finals but putting Cavies over Bluecoats was not one of them.

Agreed. Who would have predicted that Madison's best caption would be guard? That's no criticism of the considerable progress that guard made from previous years, but ...

Meanwhile, the 2-5 guards (Cavies, Coats, Crown and Cadets) placed within a point. I might have tightened the group even further as I thought the performances were barely distinguishable. I would have kept the order though.

HH

2 things:

First, cleanliness is not the only thing being judged.

Second, what you see on the dvd is not necessarily what the judges saw.

I hear ya......but here are a couple of thoughts.

How much credit do judges give towards cleanliness vs. difficulty ? Possibly a debate that goes back to the earliest days of drum corps. Subjective ?

There are things that one can see on the dvd the judges missed.

My friend feels the Bluecoats CG should have just about beaten the Cavies CG where I feel....the scores should have been tighter....

I hear ya......but here are a couple of thoughts.

How much credit do judges give towards cleanliness vs. difficulty ? Possibly a debate that goes back to the earliest days of drum corps. Subjective ?

There are things that one can see on the dvd the judges missed.

My friend feels the Bluecoats CG should have just about beaten the Cavies CG where I feel....the scores should have been tighter....

Coats were very clean and very effective. I can see how "somebody" might feel they were closer to the top of the pack then they actually were. A quick look at the "TRIAD" and placement is quickly adjusted.

Let me be nice and say... Both these two guards were given some of the hardest drill responsibilities for 2010. <---THIS carries heavy value to me.. So for that, kudos to BC and Cavies.

Now the equipment. Just take a look at Cavies first rifle feature stepping out of the horns form. 10 rifles tossing a 6 1/2!!!! on the front side-line, and one at a time. This toss, is a F.U. statement... "yes we can toss sevens or six's.. but we are going to toss a 6 and a half rotation, because we can" That was just the first minute..

If these two Corps had tied, I would say "cool" but no way were the two guards equal. And I have mad respect for BC 2010... good job!!

Cavies were in a demand level with BD... BC was not in that race... Scores are ALWAYS kept tight finals night.. I may have been told or heard.. When you are scoring a show like finals, they don;t want the guard judge to spread the scores and decide the winners with the guard caption... and such,,

I think, Clean in good... Smart is better.

Edited by Cop