BLUECOATS

Bluecoats is just one example but.....why a corps with a really strong musical identity (And a successful one at that) would turn it's back to that identity I will never know. Ok....we want to experiment with something different...fine..I have no problem with that...two..maybe three seasons is an experiment....not years and years....

Again...BC are by no means alone...I can think of a corps down Georgia way..and one just outside of San Francisco.....that also had strong musical identities that worked very well for them.

I understand what you're saying, but I think the 'Coats of the past decade have established a musical identity that has simply grown/expanded out of the identity they established in the 90s.

The great Don Ellis expanded his musical identity by exploring some new sounds (as did Stan Kenton) especially with the use of electronic effects. I believe the 2010 'Coats, better than any corps yet, showed us something new and exciting while still letting us know they were the Canton Bluecoats. I think in many ways they are the most exciting corps in DCI.

I for one can't wait to hear what's next.

1987, don't know the name of the tune but it had a great sop solo in it.

For years I only had an old VHS copy which had all the top 5 + a 30 second clip of 6th-12th and this tune was in the Bluecoats clip.

87 show was

Bye Bye Blues

Autumn Leaves

Body & Soul

I believe the only tune that had a sop solo was autumn Leaves, the slow solo at the beginning (ballad Section) and the high stuff right before Drum solo that grew from a solo to a sextet.

One piece which I loved from the corps which goes mostly unrecognized was the middle piece from 1997 titled Moon. It was from the soundtrack of the movie with the same title starring Nicholson and Pfeifer.

oh I also love the 1994 tune Sando which has a drum solo in the middle that had the whole drumline using brushes at the beginning of the solo.

Edited by bluecoats88

1990 and 1991. Best 'Coats ever. :smile:

As somebody there in both 90 and 91, let me first say ...

REALLY?! :blink: (don't hear that too often)

And then say ...

THANKS!! :thumbup:

Aside from Autumn Leaves, which is a given, right?

1989 Funny Valentine never gets old for me. It's like variations on Funny Valentine, all kinds of moods without becoming "chop and bop." A fantastic combination of power and control by that horn line. Doug Thrower has done a great job making modern Bluecoats ballads a special thing, but the work done by Dawson on 89's Funny Valentine and 90's I Got It Bad is underrated.

• Like 1

Aside from Autumn Leaves, which is a given, right?

1989 Funny Valentine never gets old for me. It's like variations on Funny Valentine, all kinds of moods without becoming "chop and bop." A fantastic combination of power and control by that horn line. Doug Thrower has done a great job making modern Bluecoats ballads a special thing, but the work done by Dawson on 89's Funny Valentine and 90's I Got It Bad is underrated.

true, those are some sweet arrangements. I love the loud hits with the sharp cuttoffs in the 89 valentine. He had asome good hornlines to work with those two years too.

• Like 2

This year was by far my favorite Bluecoats show ever. I thought Aha! was brilliant, 160bpm was great, and asphalt cocktail is an awesome piece. All this talk about how Bluecoats made thier name, they upped their game this year, big time in my opinion. They are having more success than ever before, why wouldthey go back on it?