Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

C'Mon, Mello Dude and Charlie. That's a lot of reading. Could you two please shorten up your arguments for those of us with challenged attention spans?

Essentially it's this, drum corps is no longer a defineable art form, as it has been in the past. It's simply marching band. It's nothing new and scary just the evolution or mutation of what used to be a clear art form to what has been "marching band". All this new (so-called) "innovative" stuff that "corps" are doing (aka voice) has been done by BOA for quite some time.

• Like 1

Oh right... figured you'd use a cadet example...

You make it seem like a bad thing that the cadets parent organization also runs a marching band circuit...

..you were saying?

That says "Private Schools". Most marching bands are from "public schools".

I'm not scared of the term marching band. Quite honestly to get you to admit it is a great step forward! You should be proud! Good job!

I don't know what you think I admitted too... but there is drum corps... there is marching band.. they are very similar. That is all.

Essentially it's this, drum corps is no longer a defineable art form, as it has been in the past. It's simply marching band. It's nothing new and scary just the evolution or mutation of what used to be a clear art form to what has been "marching band". All this new (so-called) "innovative" stuff that "corps" are doing (aka voice) has been done by BOA for quite some time.

Oh and add on the fact that drum corps and marching band are still subtle different.

I don't know about you, but the connotations of marching band just don't sit well with me. I'd still much prefer to call this activity drum corps just for reason of connotations alone. Calling the activity marching band would send it back a million years in the respectability category... at least thats what I think....

You shouldn't feel so offended that people think this activity should still be called drum corps even though its "simply marching band". There is a connotation difference that speaks worlds of what this activity was and CONTINUES to be.

But I know you don't believe connotations.... the rest of the world does!

What happens on the field may be "similar"... but what happens off the field... I will tell you is unlike ANY MARCHING BAND experience I have EVER had or anyone has had.

Edited by charlie1223

I don't know what you think I admitted too... but there is drum corps... there is marching band.. they are very similar. That is all.

Lol honestly this argument is humorous. I have no idea what your even trying to prove. That drum corps is marching band? Okay, it is. Happy? I think anyone who is anyone will tell you drum corps is just "summer band" with no woodwinds. LOL!!!!

We are all band dorks... Are you scared yet?!

Next...?

Oh and add on the fact that drum corps and marching band are still subtle different.

I don't know about you, but the connotations of marching band just don't sit well with me. I'd still much prefer to call this activity drum corps just for reason of connotations alone. Calling the activity marching band would send it back a million years in the respectability category... at least thats what I think....

You shouldn't feel so offended that people think this activity should still be called drum corps even though its "simply marching band". There is a connotation difference that speaks worlds of what this activity was and CONTINUES to be.

But I know you don't believe connotations.... the rest of the world does!

What happens on the field may be "similar"... but what happens off the field... I will tell you is unlike ANY MARCHING BAND experience I have EVER had or anyone has had.

You used to be 100% correct..then came Bb & F brass, amps, electric guitars, mic'd soloists and now voice. I am simply awaiting the baby grand to hit the field but I suppose that would be silly since we can simply run a synth patch for that! LOL

What defines you is what you do. I think I heard that here from someone....

Edited by Mello Dude

If you want the esteem of music educators at the expense of the audience that DCI currently enjoys, you would be best advised to have a plan for how to underwrite (or eliminate) the tremendous costs of creating, equipping, operating and moving DCI corps all over the country. Don't have that yet? Then you'd better keep the fans in mind.

Uhm... and why aren't we allowed to have both?

Oh my....so many ways to answer that question.

Let's just put it this way. Drum corps already earns the esteem of thousands of music educators. But there are still some that turn their noses up at the mere mention of 'drum corps'. Ask them what it would take to reverse their opinions....

It's not about the esteem of music educators. It's about the esteem of the kids who currently march drum corps. The way society is now, if you're going to be spending all that time and money doing drum corps it should help you in a multitude of ways.

And it does. However, since drum corps is not the same as, um, any professional performance situation I am aware of, it is going to provide a unique brand of "help" that will always be a bit different than that of replicating the venue in which professional performance is delivered.

Also, its foolish to think that gaining the esteem of music educators is somehow AGAINST what the fan's want. The fan's generally want loud chords and good music and show design. The technique used in drum corps does not hurt that. It only enhances that so your point doesn't really hold water.

Not if the esteem of music educators hinges on the application of proper concert technique and mallet selection for the rosewood marimba....as performed on a football field with 80 brass, 20 marching percussion and a dozen other pit percussionists in front of 15,000 screaming spectators, judged for musical and visual effect by a few people sitting way up in the press box.

No one ever said that amplified pit would solve the problem of attendance... but that is not the only problem that needs to be solved (if its even a problem at all. Sorry but I just won't take your word for it. Where is the decisive evidence about attendance? I would love to see where you are getting your facts from just so we can all have some proof to work with, and then have a discussion about the number of reasons why it is what it is)

You won't take my word for it, when top DCI directors like George Hopkins are saying the same thing or worse?

I believe it is generally understood among activity insiders that attendance is downtrending, though not severely. But as you are probably aware, there is not much published data on this, and frankly, a close look at the published data makes things look worse than they actually are.

Those two post are NOT contributions. In one I said it was "summer band" with out woodwinds. And the in the other I said drum corps and marching band are slightly different.

Those posts are NOT contradictions! Get it straight!

BTW have you found me any Public Schools that are for profit yet?

Oh my....so many ways to answer that question.

Let's just put it this way. Drum corps already earns the esteem of thousands of music educators. But there are still some that turn their noses up at the mere mention of 'drum corps'. Ask them what it would take to reverse their opinions....

So your answer to that question is "well someone is always going to be unhappy"... well duh... Even if drum corps was perfect it would still have critics. (imagine that paradox)

And it does. However, since drum corps is not the same as, um, any professional performance situation I am aware of, it is going to provide a unique brand of "help" that will always be a bit different than that of replicating the venue in which professional performance is delivered.

Let me just tell you. If we go back to the approach that people had when drum corps used G bugles then it would be A BIG mistake. You can't go back on that. You can't. Current students in drum corps wouldn't go for it. I know that if drum corps didn't implement the techniques that they do now that I wouldn't have done it. Students aren't stupid and think about technique now as an important part of their drum corps market research. They want good teachers as much as they want to play with good technique and master good technique. That's the way it is NOW.

Not if the esteem of music educators hinges on the application of proper concert technique and mallet selection for the rosewood marimba....as performed on a football field with 80 brass, 20 marching percussion and a dozen other pit percussionists in front of 15,000 screaming spectators, judged for musical and visual effect by a few people sitting way up in the press box.

What is this in reference to? God... let me... Esteem of educators. Oh dear lord, are you an educator? If you aren't then you don't know what a music educators hinge on. All I can tell you is that the number of music educators that are getting involved in the activity is increasing, they see the benefits of the marching arts as it pertains to music. There are so many high school band programs now and that can only be because people are finding it more valuable probably thanks to drum corps.

Again, you can't please everyone and there will always be exceptions. C'mon, you know that... ugh...