If VFW had allowed change....

Just reminded myself that I've got to find a recording of a fife, drum and bugle corps somewhere. It's on my wish list ...

What about The Old Guard? They call themselves a fife and drum corps but almost always march with about half the corps on ten-hole fifes and half on one valve bugles. Add to that the rope tension snares and bases and you got yourself the "glory days" (and a powerful sound)!! I know it well as I started out in a local fife and drum corps on a six-hole fife and then moved to the rope tension snare (cat gut snares and all!!!)

Here's a link to their site to the Old Guard Audio/Video Page.

Enjoy!

And what about those who haven't marched? How do they pick their "golden age" of drum corps?

Just like those who marched, in most cases. Whenever you first become a fan, that more likely than not is your golden age. Those are the shows that drew you in, and they make up the standard by which future shows are judged. There are many exceptions (like you) and maybe those who don't march are a little more detached than those who do, but much of the time they'll have a particularly strong emotional connection to those first few years of fandom. Especially if they became a fan as a kid. I know for me that shows from the late 90s, often considered a "down" period in the history of DCI, up to about 2000 or 2001 seem a little more magical that what has come since then (no, it doesn't have anything to do with the G/Bb switch).

Just like those who marched, in most cases. Whenever you first become a fan, that more likely than not is your golden age. Those are the shows that drew you in, and they make up the standard by which future shows are judged. There are many exceptions (like you) and maybe those who don't march are a little more detached than those who do, but much of the time they'll have a particularly strong emotional connection to those first few years of fandom. Especially if they became a fan as a kid. I know for me that shows from the late 90s, often considered a "down" period in the history of DCI, up to about 2000 or 2001 seem a little more magical that what has come since then (no, it doesn't have anything to do with the G/Bb switch).

I first became a fan in the mid-70's, yet I don't really want drum corps to emulate that time...mid-80's on, however...

I saw my first show in 1969. my golden era overlaps before and after I marched.

The 'Golden Age' of drum and bugle corps generally refers to the approximate half-century of growth and numbers of members, corps and contests within the activity before the decline set in.

The 'Golden Age' of drum and bugle corps generally refers to the approximate half-century of growth and numbers of members, corps and contests within the activity before the decline set in.

Does it have anything to do with the level of performance and artistic excellence and corps' influence on other activities such as marching bands and the creation of WGI?

Does it have anything to do with the level of performance and artistic excellence and corps' influence on other activities such as marching bands and the creation of WGI?

Eh, depends on if ya liked more quality or more quantity. Personally I preferred the quantity part as I could actually see more than one show a year without having to spend time in a motel or worry about cracking the car up at o'dark thirty coming home after a show.

And spending part of my time in a "not ready for DCA circuit" I learned a real appreciation for the effort and performance the non-top corps did. Too bad some DCPers can't even begin to accept that concept.

Eh, depends on if ya liked more quality or more quantity. Personally I preferred the quantity part as I could actually see more than one show a year without having to spend time in a motel or worry about cracking the car up at o'dark thirty coming home after a show.

And spending part of my time in a "not ready for DCA circuit" I learned a real appreciation for the effort and performance the non-top corps did. Too bad some DCPers can't even begin to accept that concept.

We had many organizations that advocated youth, Kiwanis, Lions to name 2 but not VFW. You've often asked me on DCP why I hadn't seen a drum corps show since 83? I had family matters and a 4 day folk festival same weekend as finals. We went to finals in 2010 (the folk festival was cool too :) I appreciate the effort and performance more than when I first saw drum corps in 68. Sorry I'm posting late. I'm in another time zone and trying to keep the I in DCI ;-)

We had many organizations that advocated youth, Kiwanis, Lions to name 2 but not VFW. You've often asked me on DCP why I hadn't seen a drum corps show since 83? I had family matters and a 4 day folk festival same weekend as finals. We went to finals in 2010 (the folk festival was cool too :) I appreciate the effort and performance more than when I first saw drum corps in 68. Sorry I'm posting late. I'm in another time zone and trying to keep the I in DCI ;-)

LOL, I walked away around 1992 due to changes in my life (new wife, bought not-so-new house :blink:, got "stuck" on church council, etc, etc). Came back ten years later but spend more time playing than watching. Now it's only DCA each season and it's more of a get together with friends as we stay in a group. And know more and more people every year we go. Only 4 shows (2 DCI, 2 DCA) within a 2 hour drive of our place but now have walking issues to deal with so planning on hitting standstills more.

You probably just responded because I just "Eh". :devil: I know Canadian stereotype but my Toronto living cousin had a girlfriend who dropped it everyother sentence. :blink: Kidding..... Edit: "Kidding" as in kidding with you, NOT kidding about Lil' Miss Eh in Eastern Toronto..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Does it (Golden Age of D&BC) have anything to do with the level of performance and artistic excellence and corps' influence on other activities such as marching bands and the creation of WGI?

Not at all. Okay, I'll illustrate Golden Age of Drum Corps in a different way.

Consider the term Golden Age of Hollywood, universally accepted to refer to the era before all the movie industry's technological advances now commonplace such as nearly-universal color photography, stereophonic multi-channel sound, computer-generated animation, three-dimensional projection, even reclining theatre seats and trans-fat-free popcorn.

The Golden Age of Radio ended long before stereo FM, traffic reports, instant news, "Top Forty", solid-state electronics, Ipods, satellites and all the rest.

The Golden Age of Television was live and unedited on two or three black-and-white channels that signed off at 11 pm.

I discount technology as a meaningful influence on what makes an era especially meaningful.