"Black Swan"

(First off, credit to another poster ("Cop", I think?) for putting this idea out there in another thread. I thought it deserved one of its own.)

Anyhoo, the movie "Black Swan" is a fun little riff on Swan Lake, and the soundtrack is a interesting take on Tchaikovsky's work, as it's mixed in with some electronics and tweaked for more of an impact in places. I purchased it after seeing the movie yesterday, and like where it took things.

Not only is there tons of thematic material to work with, there's also an easily discernible (and stark) color palette in the film of black/white/red/pink, and a main character who embodies all kinds of emotional resonance as a performer herself.

In other words, this movie . . .from the music to the imagery . . . seems like a perfect fit for drum corps: especially Phantom Regiment or Carolina Crown. I can't think of something as ready-made for our idiom as this movie is (at least not in recent memory).

Anyone else that's seen the movie feel the same and want to see this on the field in 2011/2012?

(First off, credit to another poster ("Cop", I think?) for putting this idea out there in another thread. I thought it deserved one of its own.)

Anyhoo, the movie "Black Swan" is a fun little riff on Swan Lake, and the soundtrack is a interesting take on Tchaikovsky's work, as it's mixed in with some electronics and tweaked for more of an impact in places. I purchased it after seeing the movie yesterday, and like where it took things.

Not only is there tons of thematic material to work with, there's also an easily discernible (and stark) color palette in the film of black/white/red/pink, and a main character who embodies all kinds of emotional resonance as a performer herself.

In other words, this movie . . .from the music to the imagery . . . seems like a perfect fit for drum corps: especially Phantom Regiment or Carolina Crown. I can't think of something as ready-made for our idiom as this movie is (at least not in recent memory).

Anyone else that's seen the movie feel the same and want to see this on the field in 2011/2012?

No.

Saw it, it's not as heavy as some people seem to think it is. It's a psych thriller wrapped in ironically pretty paper. Phantom did Swan Lake already, in 87, and it was great. And I don't see the plot as being drum corps-friendly at all.

Bawker will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I doubt he intended to suggest a character-focused program. (Although, if we can get Natalie Portman to a show ...) Rather, it might make for interesting drum corps to use the movie's treatment of the music and some of its visual themes. The good/evil battle is easily rendered on the field. And it's Tchaikovsky, after all.

Not sure though that any corps other than Phantom would attempt it. The ballet is so "white." Hard to imagine that most other corps would opt for white. It just wouldn't be the same in cream. Can't be blue or maroon or red. Then again, corps always surprise me with their imagination. I'd love to be surprised.

HH

PS: Loved the movie.

Edited by glory

Never fails to make me wonder why drum corps people automatically seek to bastardize any well-conceived entertainment into a drum corps show.

It was a cool movie, and it's okay for it to just be a cool movie.

• Like 1

Never fails to make me wonder why drum corps people automatically seek to bastardize any well-conceived entertainment into a drum corps show.

Hope you felt that way while you were playing tunes from Chorus Line. A fine show bastardized by Bridgemen ########? Shall I go on?

HH

• Like 2

Hope you felt that way while you were playing tunes from Chorus Line. A fine show bastardized by Bridgemen ########? Shall I go on?

HH

Trololo-epic.jpg

And on the original topic, Bawker: I did not have the immediate "this soundtrack would make a great show" reaction during the movie. I will go back and listen. I do agree the movie lays itself out quite nicely as a show however --- right up to and including costumes and color palettes. And the big bloodstain at the end would be lovely flag for the closer :-)

• Like 2

It's no better or worse than people wanting to turn favorite novels into movies.

• Like 1

(Although, if we can get Natalie Portman to a show ...)

Give her a little while and she'll start to show...

It's no better or worse than people wanting to turn favorite novels into movies.

Check.

Yeah, I was wondering when the topic would show up here, as I had the same reaction. The way he twists the themes is interesting and goes along well with the ballet company in the story wanting to do a more modern and visceral version of Swan Lake. It certainly would seem to be tailor-made for PR, allowing them to pull from one of their most memorable past shows (sans Nutcracker), while giving a new and unusual vibe to it. It would also be a good fit for a second year of all-girl guard.

Also, they focused on just the white aspect of the story in their interpretation last time. There's a whole world of dark there to explore. Not that the whole good/evil thing hasn't been done to death, but in this context, with the dance background, etc., might be pretty fun.

I loved the movie and having known professional ballet dancers, thought the rarely seen gruesome aspect of something that appears so light and beautiful on the stage was very accurate.

same with cool symphonies, cool musicals, cool concertos, cool concert band pieces, cool brass band pieces.

original compositions only in dci from now on. that's what i say.

:tongue:

• Like 1