DCA's Lack of Competitive Parity - Food for Thought

LOL.... over on the DCI forums there has been all sorts of back and forth about adding a judged caption that, to make a long story short, would be aimed at gauging "audience connection."

Some folks are suggesting that if, say, one corps brings more fans to a given show, compared to the other corps there.... then that corps will get a bigger audience response and therefore skew the "audience connection" results.

What a concept, huh? Each corps bringing as many fans as they can to a show.

If that kept up, stadiums might be filled up with paying customers. Perish the thought. :tongue:

That makes me think of the 1963 Dream recording I have of Skyliners where the announcer says

"Now lining up on the starting line are the New York Skyliners"

*Huge Cheers*

"Who have brought all of Yonkers New York with them this afternoon."

:spitting:

LOL.... over on the DCI forums there has been all sorts of back and forth about adding a judged caption that, to make a long story short, would be aimed at gauging "audience connection."

Some folks are suggesting that if, say, one corps brings more fans to a given show, compared to the other corps there.... then that corps will get a bigger audience response and therefore skew the "audience connection" results.

What a concept, huh? Each corps bringing as many fans as they can to a show.

If that kept up, stadiums might be filled up with paying customers. Perish the thought. :tongue:

their new sheet is kinda like the change DCA just made, but instead of breaking into the existing sheets, they proposed an entirely new one.

Personally, I think DCA's may be the way to go

That makes me think of the 1963 Dream recording I have of Skyliners where the announcer says

"Now lining up on the starting line are the New York Skyliners"

*Huge Cheers*

"Who have brought all of Yonkers New York with them this afternoon."

:spitting:

That is a classic "announcer moment" for sure!!! :thumbup:

Brings up a good point about that show..... the years I either attended or marched there, the stands were filled with people who had come to support their corps. Each corps had its own cheering section, to a decent degree. One result of this? A packed house, every year at Roosevelt Stadium.

Edited by Fran Haring

I was there for your classic announcer moment--when you thanked the Stealthmen!

I can neither confirm nor deny that. :ph34r:

This is the proposal that I would like to make at the next DCA Rules Congress:

DCA Parity -- Rule Change Proposal

Whereas, in the business interests of Drum Corps Associates and all of its member corps,

1.1 Any DCA corps that has won three consecutive DCA Championships shall be declared a "DCA Grand Champion," and shall automatically be put into competitive-exhibition status for the following DCA World Championship.

There is a similar rule in effect over here for the champion of the All Japan Championship except it is only two consecutive titles. I think it works over here because the two groups that always win All Japan are able to sustain their high levels of membership. I could not see Reading, Hawthorne, or anyone else maintaining a solid membership base in an exhibition only year.

Edited by InspaDave

I can neither confirm nor deny that. :ph34r:

Drum majpr ( i forget her name) is the corps ready?

( hot drum major from the Renegades drops long jacket to reveal very tight leather uniform)

"ooookaaayyyy"

:tongue:

Drum majpr ( i forget her name) is the corps ready?

( hot drum major from the Renegades drops long jacket to reveal very tight leather uniform)

"ooookaaayyyy"

:tongue:

"Trinity"....can't remember her real name either. Watching her conduct "Niner-Two"..one hand at one tempo and meter and the other at another..was just freaky.

Watching her conduct "Niner-Two"..one hand at one tempo and meter and the other at another..was just freaky.

For some reason, I didn't notice that. :devil: