DCA's Lack of Competitive Parity - Food for Thought

This is the proposal that I would like to make at the next DCA Rules Congress:

DCA Parity -- Rule Change Proposal

Whereas, in the business interests of Drum Corps Associates and all of its member corps,

1.1 Any DCA corps that has won three consecutive DCA Championships shall be declared a "DCA Grand Champion," and shall automatically be put into competitive-exhibition status for the following DCA World Championship.

1.2 Every DCA corps must allow and encourage its members to participate in I&E, and no corps is allowed to conduct an unrelated rehearsal or sectional on the I&E Performance Night.

Edited by drumlaw80

And nobody gets to say that my DCA Parity Proposal is invalid because it only affects one corps, as I have tried and failed many times to make that exact same argument at multiple DCA Rules Congress events. :rolleyes:

There are some activities where the champ can't come back. In barbershop chorus, the Barbershop Harmony Society champion has to sit out for two years. I don't know how far back that goes...it might be tradition from the beginning.

On the other hand, in Greco-Roman wrestling, Aleksandr Karelin not only didn't lose a match in international competition from 1987 to 2000, he didn't even give up a single POINT for the last 6 years! The wrestling authorities didn't make him sit out to enforce parity...if someone wanted to stop the streak, they had to beat him...pure & simple.

If Bucs keep winning, so be it...if Empire, Renegades, Cabs, etc want someone else to be at the top of the heap at the end of the season...be better than Bucs.

Obviously, if that rule was passed it would seriously hurt the Bucs... financially. Not many people will march if they know they have no chance to win the championship. Some will, but I imagine a large ingredient to the Bucs success has to do with them winning championships... people continue to want to join the corps because they have a good chance at being successful. Like it or not, championships bring more people to your organization.

It isn't the only reason, but we would be silly to think that it doesn't have a positive impact on recruiting and retention.

Hey I pay my money to go to Champs I want to see the best on the field not sitting at home because they are good we want more corps out there not benching them for being good I see what Lee is trying to say I do not think this is the answer though

The only thing you can count on in life is that things always change. The Buccaneers will not always win. And when Minnesota finally takes the title :smile: they won't be on top forever either. One day we may be arguing about the Kiltie's "dynasty."

This is the proposal that I would like to make at the next DCA Rules Congress:

DCA Parity -- Rule Change Proposal

Whereas, in the business interests of Drum Corps Associates and all of its member corps,

1.1 Any DCA corps that has won three consecutive DCA Championships shall be declared a "DCA Grand Champion," and shall automatically be put into competitive-exhibition status for the following DCA World Championship.

1.2 Every DCA corps must allow and encourage its members to participate in I&E, and no corps is allowed to conduct an unrelated rehearsal or sectional on the I&E Performance Night.

While you're at it, then, in the interest of 'parity,' why not say that if a corps wins a particular caption award three or four years in a row, they have to be put at a competitive disadvantage so that the caption playing field can be leveled. It's only fair, right? It's in the best business interests of DCA that talented members, designers and teachers get spread around the entire circuit like manure, rather than be piled up high in one or more places. So...in year four (or six) the Bucs percussion section members are allowed to use only one hand. Or the Hurricanes guard has to spin with extra heavy fabric in its flags. Or David Bruni has to inentionally be boring and unispiring and as much of a showman as an IRS agent - or he has to sit out.

So, are the Bucs supposed to tank one and mail it in rather than trying to raise the bar and 'take one for the team?' There's no integrity in that.

If the Bucs are the best corps on the field, should the judges just make up funny numbers so 'someone else' can get rewarded? There's no integrity in that either and we might as well just fold up our tents and go home if this happens.

Why are you bringing this up NOW? If the third time's a charm and year four should be the year the winning corps takes a time out, then you're three years late! Or are you bringing it up now because you're bored and just want to stir up stuff? Or have you already written off 2011? Would you be suggesting it if the Renegades had won 6 in a row?

Competition makes the corps perform at their best...as others have said, beat the Bucs by being better. Not by changing the rules - it's pretty sad if the only way you can beat someone is to punish them for being good. I'm chomping at the bit for my favorite corps (Cabs) to win the title again and dethrone these guys, but it would feel lousy if they did it because one good team had to sit it out becuase the were too good the previous year. Would that team's medal or the record books get an asterisk because the competition was altered because the defending champs were on a forced sabbatical? Why not institute some sort of 'mercy rule' like we have in kickball or softball while we're at it? If we're going to have forced parity, why not do it from both ends or at least look out for the dignity of corps who struggle so heavily? If Bucs have to sit out for the good of the circuit, why not make other corps sit out for their own good?

Whereas, it's a slippery slope and we should never go there.

Edited by luvscorps

While you're at it, then, in the interest of 'parity,' why not say that if a corps wins a particular caption award three or four years in a row, they have to be put at a competitive disadvantage so that the caption playing field can be leveled. It's only fair, right? It's in the best business interests of DCA that talented members, designers and teachers get spread around the entire circuit like manure, rather than be piled up high in one or more places. So...in year four (or six) the Bucs percussion section members are allowed to use only one hand. Or the Hurricanes guard has to spin with extra heavy fabric in its flags. Or David Bruni has to inentionally be boring and unispiring and as much of a showman as an IRS agent - or he has to sit out.

I have a better rule proposal,...........If you marched Bucs last year, you have to march General Putnams Men or Tyrone Guards Next year,....................

Speaking only for myself.... I wish more of the competition corps would allow more of their members to take part in the I&E show. It's a nice part of the championship weekend's experience, IMO.