DCA's Lack of Competitive Parity - Food for Thought

psst Jeff....1996

well...no. we had won all but one regular season meeting against the Cabs and all but one against Empire before prelims.

The fans travel to DCA and every show the Bucs attend for the last few years knowing that the winner will be the Buccaneers and the victory concert is going to sound a lot like the Vanguard.

Just so it bears repeating - I am not bashing or against the Buccaneers at all. Not even 1%. I marched there in 1983 and gave them a business plan in 2003. But folks, please let's all look away from the trophy table for a second and think about what is really best for all of the corps in DCA. This ain't it.

Disclaimer - I don't have all the answers. But, maybe it's time to start asking the questions, for the sake of all of the DCA drum corps.

Just my .07 - no offense to anyone.

I'd hazard a guess that some folks in the Bucs organization DO take offense at you continuing to just 'ask the question' that, despite your very articulate lawyering, comes off as a #####-fest that the Bucs are on an unprecedented run. You show your hand by mimicing what Reading's detractors resort to - the dismissive assertion that they're nothing more than a bunch of [insert DCI corps here] copycats. Everyone's who's responded to your 'just asking the question' has done so with the same basic theme - want a different winner? Beat the current one. Don't punish the current one becuase they're raising the bar. Don't cheapen the winner's accomplishment by making it a less-than-honest victory.

It's great that you keep 'asking the question' with such noble intent but don't really address the logical answer about fairness and integrity to all participants, including the Bucs. Hey -- you should be proud...you marched there and submitted a business plan - I'm sure you're plans were part of the corps' recipe for success and just put the icing on the cake. The years of persistent hard work from the likes of Gruber and Tierno weren't enough on their own. So why aren't you proud? Is it some form of envy? I shouldn't psychoanalyze from afar but this is indeed interesting, in a clinical sort of way.

I watch my beloved Caballeros and marvel at what they do year after year and want them to win. I watch the Buccaneers and just shake my head about the excellence and class that oozes from this corps, as I enjoy their performances. I want my team to beat that team fair and square. It IS that simple. And by the way, everyone's efforts to beat that team has made the entire circuit better from top to bottom.

well...no. we had won all but one regular season meeting against the Cabs and all but one against Empire before prelims.

oh ok....but there was doubt in the stands no doubt. 2001 I think when it was a tenth of a point between Brigs and Bucs after Brigs were blowing everyone away?

oh ok....but there was doubt in the stands no doubt. 2001 I think when it was a tenth of a point between Brigs and Bucs after Brigs were blowing everyone away?

hey there was doubt when we came off the field. But it's not like the biggest upset in DCA history, not even close. 86 still holds that honor

Here's a news flash...while I enjoy the competitive aspect of drum corps, that's NOT the main reason I go to shows. I go to be ENTERTAINED. As long as I enjoy what gets put on the field, I could care less WHO is performing it. Since there is a competitive aspect involved, it only makes sense that the corps that performs their particular program the best is rewarded for their efforts. I really don't care if the Bucs win, MBI second, etc. etc. for the next 50 years...as long as they entertain me and are scored fairly. BTW, I also love the alumni show every year (gee, NO SCORES!) and stick around for victory concerts at local shows as well as championships-because I enjoy drum corps PERFORMING more than how they stack up against their peers.

DCA Parity -- Rule Change Proposal

Whereas, in the business interests of Drum Corps Associates and all of its member corps,

1.1 Any DCA corps that has won three consecutive DCA Championships shall be declared a "DCA Grand Champion," and shall automatically be put into competitive-exhibition status for the following DCA World Championship.

Just my opinion....but I think disqualification is too harsh a penalty, no matter how long the win streak.

If my math is correct, the last time "anybody" else won a DCA show that the Reading Buccaneers attended was September 4, 2004.

John Kerry was trying to be President and the huge Pacific Tsumani had not yet happened.

Competitive?

<snip>

...For instance: I am a fan of MBI, but there was little that was original about what they played this year.

...I'm not trying to rant, but I like that some DCA groups try to do something different.

...Now, I do recognize that some of the references I made had different arrangements, but a show about Rome, the Wizard of Oz or Caravan is not a new concept. Still enjoyed the shows, but it is refreshing that not every group goes down this route.

MBI understands this. Half of their 2011 show is original music. And their mini-corps is doing ALL original music. :cool:

If my math is correct, the last time "anybody" else won a DCA show that the Reading Buccaneers attended was September 4, 2004.

John Kerry was trying to be President and the huge Pacific Tsumani had not yet happened.

Competitive?

I was gonna write something about why Lee keeps mentioning Reading in these posts, and then it dawned on me...

If/when Reading wins in 2011, they will forever take away Lee's favorite number.

Edited by Kamarag

I don't agree with the proposal. However, Lee I think there are some other things about your parody argument that make sense. Hence, lets expand upon it. More on this in a minute.

As for the disagreement... A couple of reasons. For rule #1- Like most in the thread, I agree that a winner should be awarded. So in regards #1- marching, playing, executing the best and cleanest, wins. However, the system could be twaeked a bit to be fair on parody. More on that in a minute....

Rule #2....As more Class A's come into to the fold, that means earlier start times for Saturday Prelims.

2012..I think we are going to see 16-18 corps in Class A from the looks of things. Which makes me ask the question how early will their step off be? How early will you need to wake up to rehearse or should you rehearse the night before?

About the parody and Rule #1....maybe an addendum to it. There is no conspiracy. I am not one of those guys. I am just looking at numbers and trying to follow them. There seems to be a great deal of jumping of scores between circuits, or scores that look inconsistent between those who are strictly DCA events, Crossovers (South and Midwest) and DCI only (West Coast). For example, the Atlanta and Minnesota corps last year. Scores for DCI shows were generally lower- then seemed to jump significantly when going back to DCA.

DCI: June 20

Corpsvets: 64.7

Alliance: 65.2

First DCA: July 10

Corpsvets: 79.375......Honestly, a 15 point jump in 3 weeks is just amazing. At the time I was thinking, Wow, they just marched the show of their life. Corpsvets are 2010 Champions.

2 weeks later..back at DCI. Score falls for Corpsvets...kinda scratched my head.

DCI: July 31

Alliance: 78.1

Corpsvets: 79.1

Score somewhat stagnates at DCA the following week...still scratching head considering the jumps the corps had in just 3 weeks.

DCA: August 7:

Alliance: 80.9

Corpsvets: 80.4

DCA August 21:

Alliance; 84.1

Corpsvets: 83.1

Minnesota...

DCI June 27

Miinesota Brass: 73.00

Govies: 61.6

DCI July 16

Governaires: 64.06 ...3 weeks later.

DCI July 17

Minnesota Brass: 79.3 ..This seems in line with how we and Renegades scored out west. About a 7-8 point jump in 3 weeks time.

Governaires: 70.2- 6 points in just 1 day. Like Corpsvets, also amazing.

First DCA: August 8/7:

Minnesota Brass: 87.8..9 points in 3 weeks.

Govies: 76.7 ...not exactly the 6 point jump in one day.

Meanwhile...scores in the East for the DCA circuit..Bucs jump 9 points in a span of 1 month:

6/19

Buccaneers- 80.538

7/24

Buccanner- 89.913

As do Caballeros:

6/19

Cabs- 75.3

7/24

Seems doing DCA full time, gives you some consistency in score, and less "bi-polarness".(so to speak)

So Lee, maybe going back to a point I suggested way back in the beginning of the thread..what can the corps outside the New Jersy and Pennsylvania Turnpikes do, as well as new corps west of the Mississippi? This to have some consistency and a strong and proven score coming into Prelims? This, so they know what judges are looking for.. Like Reading and Cabs know, and other corps that in that I-95 corridor who have several DCA sanctioned shows, and judged comments every week?

Maybe we should look to improve the relationship between DCI and DCA judging even more...the scores are all over the place, and it possibly begs the question. Maybe, we need to get together more and collude and establish more DCA regional shows, for the corps outside the Northeast. This before we decide on any new rules. Hopefully, in some years ahead we can make ourselves stronger, and create even more parody.