Best Digital Still Camera for a DCI show

friend of mine has a Nikon 300 D...she likes it lots...

Edited by skewerz

I am going to be purchasing a new digital still camera and thought some of you might have some recommendations.

I've had 35 mm cameras since 1977 until our 2006 reunion when my Pentax ME broke. I bought a digital Canon A1100 IS 2 years ago. It's ok. I'm learning about it. Sometimes it's where you sit in the stands that determines the photo or that moment in time. I personally don't take alot of photos. When I do it's to capture that moment in time.

10-2010-BS.jpg

There I was at finals 2010 and my camera screen went black; needed a battery replacement. I said "Help ladies, I need, ahem like retreat photos". Debbie sent me this recently. Her camera has a zoom lens. Maybe my camera has one too? It's time for me to read the camera manual ;-)

2010-retreat-debbieg2-b.jpg

When I worked at a camera store, we often said, "It's not the camera, it's the lens." Try to get a DSLR which you can change lenses. You'll need a bit of telephoto lens unless you want all wide shots. Get the fastest lens you can afford. Just tell your salesperson what you want to shoot, and ask them what to get.

I am going to be purchasing a new digital still camera and thought some of you might have some recommendations.

Go on to youtube and type in boston crusaders east coast classic slideshow. I have a kodak in- expensive DC that works pretty well. the slide show was done with iphoto on my mac. Have a a great day

Canon Rebel DSLR. As the name implies it's just a digital version of an SLR cam. The quality is great and it will last you years and years if properly cared for. Be prepared to spend a few hundred on basic setup plus a lens or two. Like a telephoto and a wide angle.

Or, for a couple hundred bucks you can get a decent point and shoot. Canon Power Shot series are just fine.

Best of luck.

<snip>

There I was at finals 2010 and my camera screen went black; needed a battery replacement. I said "Help ladies, I need, ahem like retreat photos". Debbie sent me this recently. Her camera has a zoom lens. Maybe my camera has one too? It's time for me to read the camera manual ;-)

Excellent point! When I went to Europe a few years ago I wanted to buy a compact (slr-looking) digital camera and it came down to a Canon and the Lumix (by Panasonic). The Lumix had a few nice features including a Leica lens, but the Canon uses AA batteries that are available anywhere, where the Lumix battery was proprietary. If it dies, you are dead!

Look for one that uses AA batteries if at all possible.

I also agree about the lens comment!

Camera zoom is like car acceleration... you can never have enough!

I have the above mentioned Canon Rebel XT DSLR. It came with an 18-55mm lens which is ok for wide angle shots i.e. retreat. I bought a 70-300mm IS (image stabilising) lens esp. for 2010 finals. I think there probably is a new Canon up to date model, I bought mine several years ago.

Some of the results you can see on my FaceBook link bellow....

my DCI 2010 photos

I should add that I was on the 400 level just inside the 40yard line.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

Excellent point! When I went to Europe a few years ago I wanted to buy a compact (slr-looking) digital camera and it came down to a Canon and the Lumix (by Panasonic). The Lumix had a few nice features including a Leica lens, but the Canon uses AA batteries that are available anywhere, where the Lumix battery was proprietary. If it dies, you are dead!

Look for one that uses AA batteries if at all possible.

I also agree about the lens comment!

I just got a Lumix FZ35, and I highly recommend it. Yes, it doesn't use AAs, but in my experience, DCs that use AAs tend to go through them quickly; at least our last camera did. Seriously, it would go through AAs in 20 minutes. With the Lumix, one battery was good for most of a day in DisneyWorld; when I got the camera (through amazon), I paid an additional $11 for an accessory kit. The kit included two batteries & a spare charger, so I was set on the battery front.

We did a 5 day trip to Disneyworld at the first of the year, and the camera did very well, particularly given that I hadn't really had a chance to familiarize myself with all its features. It takes very good pics (see below; resized from 12 mp) and takes HD video as well.

P1000555Large.jpg

P1000674Large.jpg

Basically, determine what you want to spend, and get a rough idea of what features you want. Then do a lot of research on the web--that's what led me to go with the Lumix.

Tom, How much do you want to spend?

canon T2i is a good choice, about 800.00

it all depends on the money you want to spend....

the lense is EVERYTHING............remember all dslr's can only record 11 muntes and then they stop. file size is limited to 11 minutes