Meals at winter camp

Nor do I.

It's the logistics I'm asking about. For those corps not serving meals to members at camp, what sort of break is taken to allow members to buy something? Must they travel far for fast food or a grocery store? Is a bus provided? Or maybe packing a weekend's meals isn't the logistical hurdle I thought it was (even though 200 or more need to store, prep and dispose of four or five meals)? What about staff and volunteers?

What is the procedure used by corps not serving meals at camp so that members can eat over the weekend? I've only seen the feed-them-all model. Someone enlighten me.

HH

A great, and valid question. Wish I had an answer for you, just wanted to offer my support in getting your actual question answered instead of getting derailed by this "it's wrong not to feed them!" talk. :-)

I enjoyed chocolate chip pancakes and bacon on Sunday mornings during Pioneer winter camps. Not to mention the occasional green doughnut. :)

Nice how scouts were about to go under after 1938 to 2007...

Now?

Scouts had a RICH "uncle" die and leave them a huge sum of millions-ish :shutup:

2007 is no longer 2011..

It's great how things change, and not only can the scouts feed their kids at winter camps (thank God), but they also had some left over CASH to hire.... http://megshows.com/creators.html Mason Entertainment group, A world class staff and now rent a Drum Corps "field of dreams" and hired the 2010 Hall Of Fame star Mr. Smith as well as the BLAST staff and best of WGI staff with Charlie, Rosie, Jim and on and on..... Feed the kids.. yes they do.. and then a little more bang for your buck!

I'm not one to brag but... you made me spill the pot of gold...

Cha Ching.. My how times have changed,,,, You should see what they eat like now... I along with several friends, pick up the tap for a few students who need a little help making the fees.... and are qualified to be members of the Madison Scouts..

BROWN BAG. cool,,, they are filled a little higher these days...

where does Glory's kid march?

Now?

Scouts had a RICH "uncle" die and leave them a huge sum of millions-ish :shutup:

2007 is no longer 2011..

It's great how things change, and not only can the scouts feed their kids at winter camps (thank God), but they also had some left over CASH to hire.... http://megshows.com/creators.html Mason Entertainment group, A world class staff and now rent a Drum Corps "field of dreams" and hired the 2010 Hall Of Fame star Mr. Smith as well as the BLAST staff and best of WGI staff with Charlie, Rosie, Jim and on and on..... Feed the kids.. yes they do.. and then a little more bang for your buck!

Cha Ching.. My how times have changed,,,, You should see what they eat like now... I along with several friends, pick up the tap for a few students who need a little help making the fees.... and are qualified to be members of the Madison Scouts..

Sorry Cop, but you are so wrong about the intent of these questions. It is not an attack that these corps are too poor to provide food, its just that their winter model does not provide food. The kids know it in advance and are well aware. No one is starving the kids because they can't afford to feed them.

What we are trying to find out is what do those corps do at mealtime? Are the kids on their own or do they provide a bus? How much time do they get off?

My question is, is it better to let the kids scatter for an hour or so and then refocus, or to feed them as a group and let them stay "focused" as a group? As with a previous post, I have only seen the "feed them all" approach and am curious about the other way.

• Like 2

Now?

2007 is no longer 2011..

Gee, can you make your comments any bigger? I can't quite "hear" them. :tongue:

If a corps doesn't provide meals, as your quote says, the members are on their own and I don't see anything wrong with that as long as members are made aware of it beforehand and they aren't being charged some kind of camp fee. Actually, this approach makes more sense to me than having the corps provide food, especially for audition camps. It also could make more financial sense for corps that don't know how many members/students will be at any given camp. Mandatory registration helps, but I'm not sure how many corps have that kind of process in place. Again, as long as the members know what to expect ahead of time and are given sufficient break time, I don't see anything wrong with them having to be on their own for food during winter camps.

Corps pay a huge amount in facility fees these days. I have been with corps that have paid anywhere from $500 - $4,000 per day for housing. Long gone are the days of using schools, etc. for free. PLUS, flying in educational staff and paying them for their time also needs to be included in the costs. There is no way corps can run camps for free by simply eliminating food setrvice. The members are the "owners" and have to be charged for these costs, otherwise we lose a lot more corps.

Food is not the major cost of running a corps anymore.

Corps pay a huge amount in facility fees these days. I have been with corps that have paid anywhere from $500 - $4,000 per day for housing. Long gone are the days of using schools, etc. for free. PLUS, flying in educational staff and paying them for their time also needs to be included in the costs. There is no way corps can run camps for free by simply eliminating food setrvice. The members are the "owners" and have to be charged for these costs, otherwise we lose a lot more corps.

Food is not the major cost of running a corps anymore.

I was going to be more specific with that part of my post but my post was already longer than I liked. I meant as long as they're not being charged a camp fee that appears to be for providing meals, which would tie in with "as long as the members know what to expect from the camp." I totally agree with you on the other costs involved with running a camp. If there's a camp fee, as long as there's no illusions about what that's paying for, that's fine.