Stick Tricks!

Wild looking arms to the heavens visual where the snares and tenors are all playing different parts of a simple and loud rhythm so the visual no longer matches the sound. It ends up looking like the wind uo monkey doll. It was super cool when BD first did it in circa '94, but it got beat into the ground to the point that even ScoJo gets annoyed with it. I've seen Scott johnson roll his eyes at monkey drumming questions over the last 10 years.

Ah! That clears it up then!

I think it was Phantom 86....a toss from one end of the line to the other...saw em 4 times, never dropped. I'd agree with all of the other ones listed too

I remember lots of corps used to do a lot of neat visual stuff with percussion. Snare line all lined up...bends forward a bit..and proceeds to play all 3 drums in arm range...black market juggler on the grounded roto-toms...spins...back-sticking...

you still see some occasional back-sticking, or a roll ripple, but that's about it..besides the end of the drum solo monkey drumming rim shots with the "that's right" stance and stare...

Ugh. I hate all stick tricks. They take up practice time in which the group could be learning to play and march better.

true...Bridgemen drummers weren't all that good..they coulda used the practice. Spirit was bad too, in that era. :rolleyes:

yeah, crowds just hate showmanship. it's much better to be technically superior...and sterile. but who cares, right? it's just the crowd...

Edited by skewerz
  • Like 2

I don't remember the year (late 80's I think) but spirit's bassline did a stick exchange. each bass tossed their right hand stick back to the guy behind them and then the top bass stepped out and the bottom bass tossed him a new stick.

So, it's not "monkey drumming" if it's done in unison?

Basically, yes, its the out-of-control looking visual that makes it 'monkey'. When Star was doing it in '93 it was as far from out of control looking as you can get. It was certainly high though. But, it still looked and felt very controlled.

true...Bridgemen drummers weren't all that good..they coulda used the practice. Spirit was bad too, in that era. :rolleyes:

yeah, crowds just hate showmanship. it's much better to be technically superior...and sterile. but who cares, right? it's just the crowd...

Didn't say that Bridgemen weren't good. But think about it. If they had spent as much time working on playing crazier notes rather than the blindfold thing they would have been even better. I don't really care what crowds are into. That's not what my comment was about. I don't find stick tricks to be at all interesting. They're flashy and pointless in my opinion. Playing music unbelievable well should be enough. If you have to rely on stick tricks to get the crowd's attention, you're not doing your job well enough.

Didn't say that Bridgemen weren't good. But think about it. If they had spent as much time working on playing crazier notes rather than the blindfold thing they would have been even better. I don't really care what crowds are into. That's not what my comment was about. I don't find stick tricks to be at all interesting. They're flashy and pointless in my opinion. Playing music unbelievable well should be enough. If you have to rely on stick tricks to get the crowd's attention, you're not doing your job well enough.

Are you serious?

Those Bridgemen lines were phenomenal!

Edited by RetiredJedi