Have we out "grown" some musical selections

Its not that we have outgrown that music. Its just that music today sucks.

I think that's pretty strong. The music today is different.

• Like 1

What? why would you "want" to hate a show?

Sorry- bad turn of phrase. I found the concept- before I had seen the show- and some of the things I heard about it extremely cheesy, at least in my mind. The same was true, for me, of Carolina Crown 2007 (Triple Crown), as well as the shouting "I am Spartacus" in PR 2008.

I love it when I corps forces me to change my mind though (which all these examples did). Actually, I can't find an instance where I found something cheesy or overdone before the season and didn't end up liking it. You'd think I would have learned by now :tongue:

I think that corps have outgrown using lots of pop tunes in shows. I mean, Madison won in '75 with The Way We Were..... and most other shows of that era had popular tunes in them. I think that's a trend that's pretty well gone away in the last couple of decades.

Just was listening to a soundtrack internet station and got to wondering if the activity has gotten "to young" to consider or play selections from the early "blockbuster" movies like The Robe, Cleopatra, Ben Hur, 10 Commandments, South Pacific, Victory at Sea It's a wonderful life etc...with the writers, performers and techs now being so far removed from the time period it seems that only the "classics" survive only because orchestras still play them and they are now in commercials :) Not saying the activity needs to regress its more about has the activity lost a knowledge of music 40-50-60 years old....

I would tend to agree that it would appear that more recent music from " 40-50-60 years ago " has given way to really, really old music... say from 200-400 years ago... a bit with some Corps.

It's a bit odd that DCI likes to see itself as embracing change and new ideas, but on the other hand it does give surprising musical homage it seems to me to perfumed wig wearing dead Composers from as far back as few hundred years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but it is a bit surprising, that's all.

Edited by BRASSO

i think a lot of new fans might not be that familiar with what some of us consider "trite" music.

i think about myself back as a freshman in high school...there was so much music i didn't know. the cycle probably continues for new fans out there, and will probably continue to continue for fans yet to be.

sorry for the awkward phrasing.

<I think that corps have outgrown using lots of pop tunes in shows. I mean, Madison won in '75 with The Way We Were..... and most other shows of that era had popular tunes in them. I think that's a trend that's pretty well gone away in the last couple of decades. >

The Way We Were is both a fine song (classic form, good harmony, catchy melody), and can be compared to songs from the past few centuries in its construction. (I realize the author of the above quote is not bashing TWWW)

Songs today have much less of these three elements. I'll admit, I just don't pay much attention to 'popular' music anymore. imo, there is so little music left in the mix that I simply have no interest.

The main point of pop seems to be the bass, the beat, and the lyrics. The song simply cannot stand on its own without its extensive original production values. Going to other genres yields some fine musical examples of great songwriting (country, actually, is the new bastion for classic song writing...), and the indi bands and artists are willing/able to put out real songs (or a newbie like Crystal Bowersox...who is quickly moving over to country...).

So drum corps does little pop because there is so little from which to choose. And...there is far less of a common frame of reference. In 1975, nearly everyone had heard The Way We Were, both due to the movie, and because of Barbara's top selling single/daily radio play of the song. So Madison could have instant audience involvement simply by arranging a song everyone knew. There are few songs everyone knows today...pick a pop tune...anything...and you're likely to be excluding 90% of the drum corps audience.

So in this new world of niche music, tunes like Laura and Smile...or dare I say a great tune like The Way We Were, make far more sense.

(my vote for classic tune of the past to make a re-appearance: Summer of 42...)

Yes, "Laura" in 2010 was quite recognizable, and much of the Devils' rendition of that piece was as straightforward as the Cavaliers' "Smile".

Think the point was would younger folks recognize the music as from "Laura". Then again I've never seen the movie but might have seen a local stage version (can't remember exactly). So I have no idea how that music goes and I'm 53....

On a related note: happened to catch the last few minutes of "Black Orpheus" on TMC when flipping around. Kid was plunking a tune on a guitar which sounded familiar. As the sound changed to the sound track I realized it was a song I heard Cabs play over... and over... and over. LOL, heard as both a closer and drum solo over the decades. Great song but never knew where it came from.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

There is absolutely one big song we have outgrown. Well, I know two, but the song I do not want to hear again is:

MALAGUENA

Anybody want to hear that again? I sure don't.

There is absolutely one big song we have outgrown. Well, I know two, but the song I do not want to hear again is:

MALAGUENA

Anybody want to hear that again? I sure don't.

LOL, when I read the thread title that's what I thought the thread would be about....

and to add to the list -> "Tiger of San Pedro" and "Rocky"