When is marching no longer worth the cost?

I have no opinion on this, as it can only be an individual decision with so many variables as someone said.

One comment I have to make though, is the comments about the costs of the electronics contributing to the increase of tuition. While I am no real fan of the A&E on the sidelines, the costs are trivial in the scheme of things. Even a rack of top-of-the-line amps and speakers, and a synth or two is likely no more than about $10k, and most of that is a one-time purchase of gear that will be used for several seasons. That's about the cost of two tubas. Considering the hundreds of thousands of dollars most corps spend on equipment, and hundreds more on travel, the cost of the electronics probably amounts to about $25 per member. Not a factor when we're talking about $2000-$3000 total costs.

• Like 1

While I loved marching drum corps it would be a much harder decision to march looking at $3,000 for dues alone and I'm not sure I could justify that. I certainly would not have been to afford 5 years. I'm glad some people can. My last year at Regiment it was $1400 in 2002, not all that long ago. The biggest cost increase has definitely been the transportation budgets.

I guess I marched in a different era for Drum Corps. I only had to pay $75 for a uniform depost, about $50 per tour for breakfast and had to pay for my own lunches and dinners. My final tour I survived with $20 and a box full of generic spaghettios and peanut butter sandwiches. I lost about 30 pounds and still have chills when I see canned pasta. I would have definately been priced out of marching at current rates, even if you figure in inflation.

We drove around in ancient busses that we saw a lot of the road... litterally! One of our busses had a nice sized hole that we could see the pavement beneath. I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

The cost-benefit ratio is up to the individual; and I currently believe it to still be acceptable at the "upper World Class level". However, I personally do have a problem with a lower level Open Class yearly dues being just as high as an upper level World Class dues. If academic institutions reflected drum corps', yearly fees at Junior Colleges would cost the same as the yearly fees at Ivy League Schools.

Edited by Stu

That point is different for everyone depending on their circumstances and their value of "experiences" in general.

yep. drum corps just has to be careful it doesnt price itself out

Due to the "tuition fees," I believe we no longer have corps that have members who stay for 5, 6, or seven seasons--or if there are such members, they must be rare. For example, I remember reading a DCW article several years back that stated the average Cadets member lasts one, maybe two seasons. It seems to me that one of the things that really gave corps an identity in the past was the longevity of membership--corps had kids that literally grew up in a corps, sometimes starting with the cadet or "B" group and working their way up. Does this happen anymore? I'm sure there are other factors at work but the sky-high membership and tour fees have to be a big part of why the marching experience is out reach of many kids at the junior corps level.

I guess I may be in the minority here, but I continue to believe that drum corps is a GREAT deal. I offer as an example: in 2010, BAC's tuition was $2010 (not sure what it is for 2011). Last summer (2010) the high school band I teach in Maine sent half a dozen kids to the Maine Jazz Camp, which lasts ONE WEEK. Its fee? $1000!

I also look back to the summer of 1980, when I marched. My tour fee was $450, and our tour consisted of 10 days in early July and about two weeks in August. There was no food trailer, and we were playing on 10-15 year old instruments.

In contrast, todays corps members are fed 4 times a day and the tour (inc move-in) lasts ten weeks. If you do the math, current tour fees are far below other summer music activities AND the dollars per day of the same corps 30 years ago.

I absolutely believe that drum corps is indeed worth the cost. Having said that, I was able to march for the four years that I did solely because my parents saw the value, and loved the shows, so they were willing to help me out on tuitions. What jobs I have had through college paid almost nothing, because I took them not for the pay, but for the experiences which I could then put on my resume.

Let me put this another way: I believe that drum corps is an experience that is worth paying whatever we have to to be a part of it. I would give almost anything to be able to march one more season; it is one of those rare, indescribable things in life where you hate it while you are doing it, and come out the other side, stronger, smarter, and having loved every minute of it.

Despite this value, the costs are increasing day by day, and even though I still believe it is worth it, the costs are not realistic for too many people. At a time when unemployment is incredibly high, the economy is just starting to turn around (maybe), having to pay more with less is becoming a commonality.

In short (trying to limit my long-winded-ness), It is absolutely worth the cost. The problem is that the cost is not feasible for more and more people.

The cost-benefit ratio is up to the individual; and I currently believe it to still be acceptable at the "upper World Class level". However, I personally do have a problem with a lower level Open Class yearly dues being just as high as an upper level World Class dues. If academic institutions reflected drum corps', yearly fees at Junior Colleges would cost the same as the yearly fees at Ivy League Schools.

"Lower" corps have all the same costs as the "upper" corps but they have a much smaller pool giving them money through donations, large bingos, etc. I'm impressed smaller corps can offer competitive rates.

And the drum corps experience doesn't diminish when you leave the "top".