Pre-June Prediction Thread

Maybe he means Troopers will make it again since they made it in 2009, and if they made it in 2011 they wouldn't really be a new finalist.

That's what I mean, one previous finalist e.g. Troopers or SoA to make finals in 2011.

Not that anyone cares, but I expect a minimum of 3 Open Class corps to make Semi-finals. Oregon Crusaders, BDB and SCVC They will all make it and one or more of the world class corps will not make semi-finals.

• Like 1

That they are. But as the saying goes, "All good things come to an end."

Not saying that BD will change gears and head in a more "accessible" direction for the fans, because that doesn't seem their style. I'm sure they will continue to push their own envelope and I'd bet my life savings that they'll continue to perform at the highest level, because that's just what they do.

But when we look at successful designs and their streaks (Cavies earlier this decade is an example), they don't go on forever. Why that is, who knows. IMO, it takes another corps to break the mold and start introducing something "new". Cadets did that briefly in '05, but Cavies "formula" returned in '06. BD then busted back onto the stage and has been in charge ever since.

That being said, I don't really see either of the 3C's coming up with anything mind-bending enough this year to challenge what BD has been doing.

There's always hope though. :)

I think this is largely true. But here's the difference this time and it has to do with the bolded part of your first sentence: BD will only continue to dominate if they continue to "push their own envelop". Their design staff knows this and it's exciting to think of the possibilities because of it. Meanwhile hopefully (hopefully to me anyway) the other capable corps have been paying attention are are willing to break out of the company front/48 bar hold crap and wow us with something new and exciting.

Cavies rocked the DC design world and set a style in place that carried them. But they kept going back to that trough too long, they became predicable and fell out of favor with a judging community that had seen it all before with different show titles. This year, they designed a hyper version of themselves, but it wasn't different, just different enough to be more different than BC. This is strictly about design and not performance (which is of itself a determiner).

So...BD will threepeat if they are able to not repeat themselves the way Cavies did. I think that's what we are both saying!

NOTE: "Accessable" to me is code for dumb down your design and do what we're familiar with!

• Like 4

I know it's just a stupid prediction thread and I don't really need to point this out, but I feel compelled to anyway. Every year when these predictions come up for as long as I've been on DCP everyone puts Glassmen out of finals. Then, come August, there they are steady as can be. Yeah, they dropped down to 12th this past year, but it was a mighty big gap to 13. They're a rock solid corps having a good off season so far. Yet, everyone likes to pretend they're going to fall out of finals. They won't.

Edited by Iplaytimpani
  • Like 2

I know it's just a stupid prediction thread and I don't really need to point this out, but I feel compelled to anyway. Every year when these predictions come up for as long as I've been on DCP everyone puts Glassmen out of finals. Then, come August, there they are steady as can be. Yeah, they dropped down to 12th this past year, but it was a mighty big gap to 13. They're a rock solid corps having a good off season so far. Yet, everyone likes to pretend they're going to fall out of finals. They won't.

It’s a conspiracy I tell you!

I agree with this post 100%. Gmen are always solid. They are more consistent all around than the 13-15 corps, and have fixed their brass perf issues from last year with their new amazing brass staff.

I won't make a 1-23 prediction list, but I do have a few guesses...

1. The top 12 will be the same as last year (not order, just the corps).

2. Teal Sound will be neck and neck with Pacific Crest and BDB, beating out Pio, Cascades, and Surf again as well as Mandarins and SCV Cadets.

3. BD will win again; Cadets will take 2nd place less than a point behind.

I would not consider 2010 Glassmen rock solid.

• Like 2

Very intriguing post. Lots of bold statements and nuance in your points...

I think this is largely true. But here's the difference this time and it has to do with the bolded part of your first sentence: BD will only continue to dominate if they continue to "push their own envelop". Their design staff knows this and it's exciting to think of the possibilities because of it.

Do you think that in some way then that corps compete against themselves through their past show designs? I think that's and interesting idea. You are assuming however that the point of effective show design is how far they "push the envelope" However, I'm not so sure how to define what "pushing the envelope" even means when it comes to show design. I mean, it's really based on perspective.

I think an idea that people need to get out of their head is that idea that "pushing the envelope" does not mean "un-entertaining" and "entertaining" does not just mean "company front/ 48 bar hold crap".

Meanwhile hopefully (hopefully to me anyway) the other capable corps have been paying attention are are willing to break out of the company front/48 bar hold crap and wow us with something new and exciting.

I'm not sure what corps your referring to but while I WANT corps to "push the envelope" in show design and be original and creative, I don't want all corps to be like BD. In my mind each corps can have their own "specific" way of "pushing the envelope based on that corps "personality". And of course I want to be wowed with something and new exciting, at the same time... I am a sucker for company fronts (most of the time)... soooo yea. LOL

Cavies rocked the DC design world and set a style in place that carried them. But they kept going back to that trough too long, they became predicable and fell out of favor with a judging community that had seen it all before with different show titles. This year, they designed a hyper version of themselves, but it wasn't different, just different enough to be more different than BC. This is strictly about design and not performance (which is of itself a determiner).

So...BD will threepeat if they are able to not repeat themselves the way Cavies did. I think that's what we are both saying!

But there is a fine line between being different and "out there". I mean Cadets 05 pushed the envelope in show design in a positive way.... Cadets 08 ALSO pushed the envelope... maybe too far. So there has to be a balance. In my opinion BD 2010 was just on the verge of pushing the envelope "too" far but managed to stay on the table for the judges. I mean, I've heard judges say that when they judge effect, they are looking for something new, fresh and different because like a lot of fans they "think" that the potential of drum corps to wow the audience has not been maxed out yet, and that it will never be maxed out.

NOTE: "Accessible" to me is code for dumb down your design and do what we're familiar with!

I don't know about your definition of accessible... I think a lot of show have been "accessible" without dumbing down the design (like Phantom 08) and I think a lot of, in my opinion, unique/different/unfamiliar show designs have been horribly inaccessible (cadets 08).

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

I have read through this thread and I believe some of you are under the impression that semis will have 17 corps. The format has changed for next year - semis will have 25 corps. There is no break at the 17 mark. All corps (world and open) can enter prelims on Thursday - and then the top 25 moves on to Friday and top 12 to Saturday. Below is the explanation from DCI (back in November) Corps not in finals will be shooting for top 15 - to make the Theatre broadcast.

"With a new format for the World Championships announced this September, all Open Class corps will be invited to Indianapolis to perform as part of the World Championship Prelims on Thursday, Aug. 11 at Lucas Oil Stadium. All World and Open Class corps will be on equal footing in a head-to-head competition that will run throughout the entire day.

“Open Class corps have enjoyed Michigan City hospitality since we first brought the Championships there in 2008. It's a drum corps town. The stadium is perfect for this new format and creates a genuine championship atmosphere for our corps,” said Open Class Coordinator David Eddleman. “And then, for Open Class corps to have the opportunity to compete in the World Championship Prelims on Thursday in Indianapolis, the week just keeps getting more exciting for both the corps members and the audience.”

The top 25 corps after the Prelims will advance to Friday’s Semifinals in Indy ending with a special exhibition performance by Dutch corps Jubal, celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2011. The top 12 corps from this grouping will compete for the World Championship title Saturday, Aug. 13."

• Like 2