Looking for that one solution.

I may be old school, but I believe in evolution and change, but:

For off the field, limit each corps to one(1) 48ft equipment trailer;

On the field utilize a combined judging system, A Judging Proposal Puts execution in the hands of the professionals and effect in the hands of the paying public.

I find this post interesting. John Donovan and DCI worked together to put up the Roundtable Project, and it looks likes the ugly stepchild of DCP.

That topic has a grand total of six threads and around 125 posts. Mostly that effort has produced <crickets>, when nearly any post that refers to the G8 or TOC brings hundreds of replies, including arrows and daggers, accusations, borderline personal attacks, and contentions so questionable that one poster began requesting citations of fact. (I acknowledge guilt in some of this as well).

It's so bad that someone so used to being the pariah as George Hopkins himself doesn't post (using his real name); it's not hard to imagine why the more sedate leaders don't step foot in here.

I'm not saying that DCP should change it's ways (I, frankly, enjoy the comedy of some of it), and, certainly, there are other reasons why "official" DCI personalities don't reveal themselves on here. But to entice DCI directors or officials to enter this lion's den is only a great hope, maybe not so much reality.

There was a new poster who came on here several months ago, a highly respected founding member of the Friends program with a pedigree that would be envious to most in the activity. He made his first post openly and honestly making points that were appropriate to the discussion. He was ripped so hard, so immediately, and so frequently that his second post was an affirmation of all of the bad he'd heard about DCP, and a promise to go back into obscurity and never post here again. And he never has. IMO, DCP is worse off for his non-participation.

It might be correct to expect a DCI official, or a director, should be willing to absorb that kind of abuse as part of their public persona and position in the activity. But it seems incongruous to expect them to willingly step into such vitriol. DCP should never be all puppies and sunshine and pretty flowers - and perhaps tighter modding of such threads would be appropriate - but "manners" is something that DCP, as a collective, is not known for.

"Beer talk banter" may not be the result of interaction on the Roundtable project, but posting a question then enticing further response with thoughtful and cordial replies there would, IMO, go a long way towards enticing more interaction from DCI. And seeing that kind of discussion can happen in DCP might entice more input from directors themselves.

I sure hope that Roundtable Project makes a turn for the better when the season starts, it could be a good outlet for The Corps. I still think DCI needs to get back on nation wide tv, that would be one solution in helping our activity move forward. How long ago was the last tv brodcast?

Edited by thirdcoast

• 2 weeks later...

On the field utilize a combined judging system, A Judging Proposal Puts execution in the hands of the professionals and effect in the hands of the paying public.

Interesting.

That "but" speaks volumes... "I believe in evolution and change... BUT..." it has to be on your terms right?

The only thing that should regulate how many vehicles a corps can use to travel is whether or not that corps can afford it or not. I see no reason or need to force these kind of "off-field" restrictions on a corps.

I completely disagree with this proposal for a number of reasons.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

That "but" speaks volumes... "I believe in evolution and change... BUT..." it has to be on your terms right?

The only thing that should regulate how many vehicles a corps can use to travel is whether or not that corps can afford it or not. I see no reason or need to force these kind of "off-field" restrictions on a corps.

I completely disagree with this proposal for a number of reasons.

That is perfectly fine, to you. Your reasons would be?

Sorry, but I'm not buying the need for, nor can I see any practical/equitable way of implementing, a system that puts points into the hands of the audience. The potential for popularity contest outcomes, regional favoritism, or any of 57 other varieties of inconsistency is simply too great.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 3

One solution: Fix the economy. Pretty sure when people have money to spend, they'll come back to the activity they know and love.

Not totally sure having done it myself. Once you walk away for a year or two, you find other things to take up your time and money. And they might be harder to walk away from than it was to leave corps. Know too many who have been there, done that and don't really think about coming back.

After the first season was over I realized leaving something I followed for about 20 years wasn't that hard. After the second season I barely gave it a thought except to buy the DCA recordings when that letter came. Hell my corps won DCA one year and didn't know it until I got the recording. Ended up being away 10 years and only came back thru a chance posting I read.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Not totally sure having done it myself. Once you walk away for a year or two, you find other things to take up your time and money. And they might be harder to walk away from than it was to leave corps. Know too many who have been there, done that and don't really think about coming back.

After the first season was over I realized leaving something I followed for about 20 years wasn't that hard. After the second season I barely gave it a thought except to buy the DCA recordings when that letter came. Hell my corps won DCA one year and didn't know it until I got the recording. Ended up being away 10 years and only came back thru a chance posting I read.

After reading this I wonder how many others are doing the same thing right now. Its to bad , the kids really do work just as hard as we did back in the day.

• Like 1