New King marching horns advertised to "take the concert sound to t

I doubt there are even five lead trumpet players in 2011 in all of DCI who could play Spirit of Atlanta's 1980 lead sop book[maybe 3 who could play SOA's 79 lead sop book]. Spirit 80 was louder.

:doh:

• Like 1

I do not appreciate your ugly unmitigated personal attack which is clearly against the DCP forum rules.

Unlike you, I have seen Jim Ott's 79 and 80 lead soprano charts. The current lead sop for the Cadets could play them. If anyone else in DCI today could play them, and their might be a very small handful who can, I have not heard them play anything even close to that high or difficult.

These charts are perhaps the most difficult lead trumpet [sop] charts that DCI has ever seen, but you knew that, right?

I have taught high school [marching]bands for 33 years, and I continue to teach high school trumpet players even to this day. I have been a marching and brass tech since I was a junior in high school.

just because the books may not be written that way does not mean the kids couldnt do it if asked. and these days they could do it marching harder drills than you had in 1980.

but if you tell a lie enough you begin to believe it's the truth, so keep on believing

• Like 4

Howdy is on a roll: He is averaging 7 "I"s and 9 "my"s per posting when tooting his own horn (full pun intended).

I had to green you again

• Like 1

I marched guard for years, DM for 7 years, winter guard judge for 4. Why am I here? I like music. I want to learn more about horns. Drum corps music moves me. Hopefully, someone can tell me why it moves me. Was it the instrumentation, chords, technique, ensemble, breathing, talent? I've been listening to my 2010 CDs. There's a few bars from the lower voices that was filled with warmth from one corps and another corps had a mellophone line that was hot ;-)

You're a very good trumpeter, and you have a wonderful tone. Just don't short change others' playing abilities.

I wanted to thank you Kasey for those very kind words. I have so many people that I could thank for the development of my tone that the list would be very long, but I will thank Ferguson Music and Tulsa Band Company for working with me and helping me get those wonderful Calicchio horns, John Duda for making them, Jay Daversa for encouraging me to play Calicchio, and Mark Curry for building such great sounding mouthpieces.

• Like 1

We've got little more than a series of PMs in a thread that's supposed to be about King marching horns.

Actual discussion about the topic ceased awhile ago.

Thanks to all for keeping it on track for as long as it was.