Live or Fade Away

Stu

Exactly. This is why DCI needs to do everything it can to promote the (decreasingly) unique "drum corps sound" that is unlike anything you've heard before, and can only be truly experienced live. Yet I almost never see it advertised that way.

What's so good about live if no one wants to be there? They want it sent to their iPod which has a great screen and excellent sound through their headphones...no noisy kid sitting next to them, no fat fan coming into the stands right in the middle of the show...etc.

That's nice. Their art is still primarily geared toward the simplistic and sentimental. If that floats your boat, more power to you - but that doesn't mean anyone else who aspires to something more interesting should have "the Branson aesthetic" being the driving force in determining what you should do with some of the most gifted young musicians in the world. It would be a waste of their abilities.

The-snob--62588.jpg

What's so good about live if no one wants to be there? They want it sent to their iPod which has a great screen and excellent sound through their headphones...no noisy kid sitting next to them, no fat fan coming into the stands right in the middle of the show...etc.

The drum corps sound can in no way be accurately reproduced by any recorded medium, let alone on crappy iPod earbuds.

I'll admit, I've been to shows and realized afterwards that staying home and listening to old drum corps shows on my iPod would have been both more enjoyable and affordable, but it had nothing to do with the reasons you mentioned.

• Like 1

The drum corps sound can in no way be accurately reproduced by any recorded medium, let alone on crappy iPod earbuds.

I'll admit, I've been to shows and realized afterwards that staying home and listening to old drum corps shows on my iPod would have been both more enjoyable and affordable, but it had nothing to do with the reasons you mentioned.

The same could be said of ANY concert performance, be it Springsteen, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta symphonies, the Met, etc. But, your opinion can't change the marketplace all by itself.

Concert tickets...$400? Download the video...$1.29? See a bootleg on YouTube...FREE? The costs are only going in one direction.

So, some people could care less about the difference of the sound live versus recording. Some people could care less about analog vs. digital signals, etc. In this era of Autotune, many pop sounds aren't live any longer.

So, when asked about live or fade away, the marketplace is one important, BUT not the most important determining factor. What will cause drum corps to cease will not be audience. It will be the logistics of travel and the lack of adequate housing and rehearsal space. That will end drum corps well before the "sound of live" vesus the "sound of a recording."

• Like 1

The same could be said of ANY concert performance, be it Springsteen, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta symphonies, the Met, etc. But, your opinion can't change the marketplace all by itself.

Concert tickets...$400? Download the video...$1.29? See a bootleg on YouTube...FREE? The costs are only going in one direction.

So, some people could couldn't care less about the difference of the sound live versus recording. Some people could care less about analog vs. digital signals, etc. In this era of Autotune, many pop sounds aren't live any longer.

So, when asked about live or fade away, the marketplace is one important, BUT not the most important determining factor. What will cause drum corps to cease will not be audience. It will be the logistics of travel and the lack of adequate housing and rehearsal space. That will end drum corps well before the "sound of live" vesus the "sound of a recording."

(Fixed that for you.)

Tom, do you really think that kids are going to march in front of empty stands? Imagine, that big final push, blowing their guts out, jazz running to a single file right down on the sidelines, holding the final chord for 16 counts, the drum major giving a wild-arm, snappy cutoff, horns snap down...and...... <crickets>

Yeah, that will make the kids really excited to play their hearts out. For what? "Cut. Print. Way to go guys and gals! The YouTube fans will really LOVE that one!"

Please.

How many downloads at $1.99 does it take to make up just one $125 finals ticket? Do you really think this little niche can really support that number?

Sorry Tom, you're kidding yourself if you think iPhones or even the FanNetwork will supplant the fans and support the activity.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

This is just crazy-talk, Tom. I'd bet every kid who has an iPod and an interest in watching a drum corps show has the interest because he/she either marched on the field or has sat in the stands at a show. That type of kid, although he likes the convenience and "whiz-bang" of being able to watch on a 3" screen with earbuds, because of his experience, knows there's no replacement for being there live.

Besides, I think this thread is about "to live or to fade away", not about whether it's better to see it live or on iPod.

> The same could be said of ANY concert performance, be it Springsteen, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta symphonies, the Met, etc. But, your opinion can't change the marketplace all by itself... Concert tickets...$400? Download the video...$1.29? See a bootleg on YouTube...FREE? The costs are only going in one direction... So, some people could care less about the difference of the sound live versus recording. Some people could care less about analog vs. digital signals, etc. In this era of Autotune, many pop sounds aren't live any longer.

Tom: The thing is that while fans of Springsteen certainly download $1.29 videos or watch bootleg Youtube videos for free, they "still" will (in mass) buy the $400 live Springsteen concert tickets thus selling out pro stadiums. But the fans of DCI who can purchase inexpensive Fan Network downloads or watch bootleg Youtube for free are tending to stay away from the live DCI performances. That is the difference between Springsteen fans and DCI fans; and it is a huge problem which needs rectification.

How many drum corps shows do you have on cd or mp3 that you never saw live?

• Like 1