Live or Fade Away

Stu

incorrect. I did say I would stop, and did for 2 full seasons. In 04 I stayed thru the DCi corps at hershey because a dear friend was marching her ageout. I also saw SCV's amps balance ruin their ballad and their score went up from Allentown. I went to Allentown in 06 and 08 to see a former student perform in each of those years, and the show selections in 08 made me interested enough to expand a bit more in 09. 09 was slightly down, but I wanted to give DCI another shot and I wanted to see the Indy thing first hand.

but yes in, 05 and 07, I saw nothing. Didn't get the fan network. Only reason i got the dvd's was cause Dad got em for me for Xmas.

now, at best, it's Allentown live. since nothing else on the schedule is a drive worth making on a weeknight, that and the fan network will probably be my season unless I can get out of work and go to the theater.

I understand supporting the student issue; that is not an inconsistent thing but one of human love. But why go to Allentown or the theater in 2011 (in reference to your last sentence); that is in-congruent with your claim to stop going.

No assumptions; here are your own words:

Your Belief structure: "I was and am first and foremost a fan, and that came about because of the sound. Add woodwinds/synths (you connected the two as equal in your disdain), and it sounds like marching band. I'm not so much a fan of the marching band sound... the sound that doesn't include non-acoustic voices...or woodwinds... it doesn't matter what sound defines the activity... it's the sound that defines MY activity...when that changes enough, I'll stop listening... if one corps adds woodwinds, all corps will, because it will be one of those sum positive score things, like electronics...so no..I won't be attending." (again you connected ww/elec as equal in your disdain).

Your actions: "I might attend one local show, and possibly quarter finals... it hasn't changed the sound enough, but it's getting awful close... I can go get a hot dog on the corps that don't fit my sound definition...08' Cadets was a prime example..."

You did not stop going when "all" corps' added synths and the sound of "all" corps' became like marching band (your words) and you came up with hot dog justifications to keep attending because some synths did not change the sound enough for you to stop going; ok, I will buy that. However, the issue is that you equated electronics with woodwinds (again your words); so to be consistent, it stands to reason that you would also apply that justification to ww because you equated synths with ww (or) you would stop going now because you equate electronics and woodwinds with equal disdain. Just seeking consistency here.

actually, if you read woodwinds/synth TOGETHER, that will solve all your brain woes. Someone needs a hobby.

actually, if you read woodwinds/synth TOGETHER, that will solve all your brain woes. Someone needs a hobby.

Ok you claim that ww/elec together is the context and that allows you to go see shows with just synths. So that means if woodwinds were added a few years back, and "not" synths, you would continue to go see some shows. Got it!

Edited by Stu

Ok you claim that ww/elec together which allows you to go see shows with just synths. So that means if woodwinds were added a few years back, and "not" synths, you would continue to go see some shows. Got it!

quote for me where I said that I wouldn't attend if a corps had synth? If woodwinds HAD been added a few years back, I wouldn't be attending shows. I never said electric was my last straw. Woodwinds is my last straw. It's just that electronics are awful close, and sometimes, they do indeed cross the line.

Now go form your rock and roll U2 drum corps, or take up basket weaving or something. Stalking is weird...

• Like 1

quote for me where I said that I wouldn't attend if a corps had synth? If woodwinds HAD been added a few years back, I wouldn't be attending shows. I never said electric was my last straw. Woodwinds is my last straw. It's just that electronics are awful close, and sometimes, they do indeed cross the line.

Now go form your rock and roll U2 drum corps, or take up basket weaving or something. Stalking is weird...

So it is woodwinds not a combination of woodwinds/synth. Adding woodwinds will drive you away, subtracting synths will bring you to more shows; why didn't you say that in the first place! As for a rock and roll U2 drum corps', that was a primer to get discussion going on how to get more people to purchase DCI tickets; not a mantra! And for the basket weaving, how in the world did you know that was my major in college? (By the way, nobody is fixating on any single person in this thread, so there is no stalking going on here).

Edited by Stu

Well, like amped mallets are not new instruments, either are amped vocals, so yes, we will disagree.

There is a difference in how the amplification is used. In the front ensemble, so far, the amplification has been used to boost the overall levels of the sections, and small instruments that would be hard to hear otherwise. With voice, you have people using solo voice, and spoken word voice overs and so on. That changes the dynamic of the show much more than just amplifying instruments that are hard to hear.

• Like 1

thats a wonderful approach to take towards paying customers Mike. I mean, so many businesses made millions that way :rolleyes:

and then you wonder why some older fans left? Easy...they were tired of being told they and their money didn't matter.

you made me shed a tear....almost. I sat at Indy for two days surrounded by older guys/gals than me (I'm 50) with their jackets from corps still here and many no longer hear. We stood, applauded, laughed, cried (#### you Star Alumni) we vented about what we liked and didn't like and generally had a great time.

I am sorry that DCI personally wrote you a memo telling you they don't care about you anymore. Evidently, the folks around me didn't get the same memo.

• Like 1

There have only been three instruments added since 1972...mallets, voice and synths. Only one in the last 25 years.

Guitar, Bass Guitar

• Like 1