1972 - 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3z-OGAESY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hirLZ-DLf4

thought i would just post a couple of local brass bands to where i live.

I have always been in to drum corps and that is where my passion is and always will be. i just hope it has the legs to stay a while longer.

I watched the videos, thank you for posting them. Now, exactly what parts of those should be replicated by Drum Corps? I'm assuming you posted them here so we'd make that connection, since your entire point has been "Drum Corps can learn from Brass Band."

I watched the videos, thank you for posting them. Now, exactly what parts of those should be replicated by Drum Corps? I'm assuming you posted them here so we'd make that connection, since your entire point has been "Drum Corps can learn from Brass Band."

I fear that you have missed my point.

I don't want Drum corps to be a brass band i am merely pointing out that brass bands have not lost the numbers like drum corps has in an age where the xbox generation is with us, brass bands don't seem to be dwindling in numbers as drum corps is.

for a DCI corps then the entire year is based on one night in mid august and its quite expensive getting there for members and corps alike. I started this thread looking for why we had 400 corps in 72 and only 40 now. There has been quite a few suggestions as to why that is, main one i guess is cost. Also a good point is drum corps people in its present format are a unique bunch, travelling thousands of miles to march a corps of their choice ( i know, i was one of them). Maybe that's because the majority of drum corps members don't have a corps on their doorstep at this present time, and not likely to change any time soon.

I chose brass bands as it is a close(ish) comparison but it could be any past time. The connection i wanted to point out was they are not dwindling and maybe the emphasise should be on awareness of our great activity with localised events and not just competition.

I know you wont agree as your point made earlier in the thread is you wouldn't care if we only had 10 awesome corps. i personally think that day may come but there wont be 10 awesome corps but 10 mediocre corps as potential members wont know what drum corps is.

I posted the clips as i thought some might enjoy ittongue.gif..................... i have to clarify, i enjoy brass bands but i love drum corps, have done for 30 years hence why i travel to dci as often as my schedule allows.

I think drum corps has a place at all types of skill level, clearly yours is the very best it can possibly be, i agree i'm with you but maybe there should be a thought shift to safe guard the future of the activity.

• Like 1

I don't want Drum corps to be a brass band i am merely pointing out that brass bands have not lost the numbers like drum corps has in an age where the xbox generation is with us, brass bands don't seem to be dwindling in numbers as drum corps is.

Trying to find to watch as I'm interested in the US Civil War era Brass Bands. Hey I live near Gettysbyrg what can I say. :tongue:

I think drum corps has a place at all types of skill level,

maybe there should be a thought shift to safe guard the future of the activity.

Agree with both, one good things about non-competing (aka Alumni types) is they can allow more types of members if they choose.

Trying to find to watch as I'm interested in the US Civil War era Brass Bands. Hey I live near Gettysbyrg what can I say. :tongue:

I played on a set of Civil War brass instruments whilst in college, at a special luncheon for Desmund Tutu. I played Bb Baritone:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cwmhtml/cwmcap05.html

The president of the college owned a complete set of about 15 instruments. Here's a pic in context, showing why they were played "over the shoulder"

http://www.medinacommunityband.org/june-5--2009

I fear that you have missed my point.

I don't want Drum corps to be a brass band i am merely pointing out that brass bands have not lost the numbers like drum corps has in an age where the xbox generation is with us, brass bands don't seem to be dwindling in numbers as drum corps is....

Isn't the primary difference something far simpler than xbox and other influences. Brass bands don't kick you out when you hit 22, do they? As such, their membership is more of a continuum with all the benefit that accrues. Drum corps turns over its membership continually, which means more people are involved in total but fewer continuously. In short, this fundamental difference makes the comparison not very useful.

HH

Isn't the primary difference something far simpler than xbox and other influences. Brass bands don't kick you out when you hit 22, do they? As such, their membership is more of a continuum with all the benefit that accrues. Drum corps turns over its membership continually, which means more people are involved in total but fewer continuously. In short, this fundamental difference makes the comparison not very useful.

HH

Please dont get hung up on the brass band comparison. I could have easily have used football (soccer to youdoh.gif) it is played locally at least it is here and attracts no end of youngsters..... all im trying to say is drum corps is not well known as we keep it a secret, rehearsing hours on end with none of the general public seeing what we do as all we do is compete.

The lack of numbers in today's corps comes down to one major issue; money. When I marched in the 70's and early 80's, I could march for so much less, even when inflation is included, than today. I had to put down a $75 uniform allowance, $25 per tour for breakfasts, and pay for my own lunches and dinners during the summer. I guess I averaged about $10 per day for food so I had to come up with about $800 for an entire summer tour. On my last tour in '82 I survived on $20 for breakfasts, $20 cash and a box full of generic spaghetti and peanut butter sandwiches. This is just unheard of in today's drum corps. There were no "camp fees" or try-out costs and we didn't have to pay extra for transportation, unless we lived far outside of the homebase. We had about 5-6 instructors and they also had to drive the buses and equipment truck. :thumbup::thumbup:

... On my last tour in '82 I survived on $20 for breakfasts, $20 cash and a box full of generic spaghetti and peanut butter sandwiches.

Peanut butter I get. How did you cook the spaghetti? And how did the corps arrange rehearsals so that you and others could arrange their own lunches and dinners?*

HH

*I asked this recently in another thread only to be accused of all manner of high crimes and misdemeanors instead of getting an answer. I just want to know. What logistical arrangements do/did some corps make when they don't provide meals for the members. Anyone?

Peanut butter I get. How did you cook the spaghetti? And how did the corps arrange rehearsals so that you and others could arrange their own lunches and dinners?*

HH

*I asked this recently in another thread only to be accused of all manner of high crimes and misdemeanors instead of getting an answer. I just want to know. What logistical arrangements do/did some corps make when they don't provide meals for the members. Anyone?

"Okay, we're gonna break for now - be back here in 1 hour"...

That's what I remember. You were expected to plan and prepare, what you did for food during that hour was up to you. Some went to restaurants, some had ketchup sandwiches.

HH

There was an hour break, just like all corps have, just instead of feeding us right on site, we were giving free range to go get food. There was usually something right near by, a Subway or something, and then back to practice. It worked better at rehearsals, because most of us had cars.