1972 - 2010

I'd have to ask how many of those "400" corps actually hit the field. I know of a corps from back then that just did parades and local events that called themselves a "drum & bugle corps," but the closest they ever came to a competition was watching the local show on the 4th of July. Back then, anyone that had 8 horns in their garage called themselves a drum and bugle corps. That does diminish the pool if you require them to actually compete in a show vs marching in the local July 4th parade.

But your post makes an interesting point: Even if those corps didn't necessarily compete, they did help to provide a stable audience base for local shows. That's an economic factor that hasn't been fully matched by attendance from members of high school marching bands.

Has anyone noticed how BAD the 12th place corps of the 70s sound? And there were 380 corps WORSE than that?

I challenge you to listen to Oakland Crusaders' 1978 show and claim that we sounded "bad" . . . and we placed 17th that year. You probably will say that, and of course you're entitled to your opinion, but it's a highly subjective one, and can't necessarily be validated by listening to the recordings of the time. People were doing their best, of course, but it's a poor substitute for the real thing.

Competition. This is probably only a small factor, but the musical "competition" on the college/professional level has changed drastically. There are tons of younger, newer, and more innovative musicians being produced now than ever before. I know of several music majors (and future music majors)who really want to do drum corps, but they feel as if it will be a hindrance towards their practice time that they get over the summer.

This has always been the case. When I marched, relatively few university music majors marched drum corps because either they felt it was "beneath" them, or they didn't want to sacrifice their summers and trade good musical habits for bad ones, which they would then have to unlearn upon returning to school in the fall. (This is still a common complaint I hear about drum corps.) University music students were never the core membership of most drum corps; it was the average Joe or Jane off the street who might have a good musical ear, but not necessarily the formal training to play in a horn or drum line.

Edited by byline
  • Like 1

Your post made a compelling point that even in the pre DCI years, there were a handful of Corps that seemed to dominate garnering the mantle of National Champion. It was a good point, imo.

I agree the logjam at the top was always a logjam it's just the names have changed.

but there was more room for those below them as well as support

What are you talking about?

Not sure whether this argues for or against your p.o.v. (with which, btw, I agree; the activity needs to support groups at all levels), but fwiw, same as it ever was. Between 1951 and 1963 the VFW championship was was held by only 3 corps: St. Vincent's Cadets from Bayonne, NJ (5 times), Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights of Newark, NJ (3 times), Chicago Cavaliers (yes, same corps - 5 times). Between '64 and '70 the Troopers won 3 times and the Kilties twice.

Actually

St. Vincent's won in 50, 51, 52, 53, lost in 54 and won again in 55 and 56. And lost just two contests in those first four seasons. Sac won in 54, 58 and 60. Cavaliers in 57 (which resulted in a big, on field fight), 59, 61, 62, 63 and 67. Some say 63 was an empty title because them and Sac never met--Sac won Legion didn't go to VFW, Cavies didn't go to Legion..VFW was in Seattle, Legion in Miami. Kilties won in 64, 68 and 69..Troopers in 66 and 70.

Actually

St. Vincent's won in 50, 51, 52, 53, lost in 54 and won again in 55 and 56. And lost just two contests in those first four seasons. Sac won in 54, 58 and 60. Cavaliers in 57 (which resulted in a big, on field fight), 59, 61, 62, 63 and 67. Some say 63 was an empty title because them and Sac never met--Sac won Legion didn't go to VFW, Cavies didn't go to Legion..VFW was in Seattle, Legion in Miami. Kilties won in 64, 68 and 69..Troopers in 66 and 70.

So like I said, VFW between '51 and '63: Vinnie's 5, Cavs 5, Sac 3. But thanks for fleshing out the details.

regards,

Fred O.

Do I enjoy the level of excellence on display in today's Drum Corps? Absolutely.

But I would really love to hear one with the level of power and excitement of a '74 Muchachos.

• Like 1

I'd agree, but i'm a dino, and a known hater. If I had known ahead of time what music would be played, there would have been no way I would have tried out for BD in 2010, if I was of the skill to pick my corps of choice. I would probably pick Madison, or Jersey Surf, on purely musical choices.

The nice thing about the modern corps experience is that potential members do have the ability to audition any place they want. The band I work with had an instructor (about 10 or 11 years ago) who played contra in BD...their persona and approach to the entire activity matched his own personality to a 't'...he said he'd NEVER consider marching with the Cadets...they just operated so differently from his own preference.

The nice thing about the modern corps experience is that potential members do have the ability to audition any place they want. The band I work with had an instructor (about 10 or 11 years ago) who played contra in BD...their persona and approach to the entire activity matched his own personality to a 't'...he said he'd NEVER consider marching with the Cadets...they just operated so differently from his own preference.

well they have about 50 options to audition to

well they have about 50 options to audition to

more than 50 me thinks. Who's the corps in 2010 that did The Supremes 'Stop in the Name of Love'? DCA, I think. They were a blast!

btw please list your 50 options

Edited by lindap
  • Like 1

more than 50 me thinks. Who's the corps in 2010 that did The Supremes 'Stop in the Name of Love'? DCA, I think. They were a blast!

btw please list your 50 options

well, last I knew, there was roughly about 50 corps in DCI. if you count DCA, then there is roughly about 80.

Drum corps had its hey day here in the 80's (U.K) and has seen a big demise also yet brass bands are still very strong (510 registered) and apparently there is 700 in existence, which begs the question what are they doing right? People still want to learn and play instruments which suggests that the model isn't right.