15in freefloater

nngs9

The free floater was developed to crank the head higher, a 15 cranked hi can't reach the pitch of a 14. I think although the 13 free floater can crank, it doesn't have the volume of the 14. Add to that the cost of building the metal shell.....no 15 in the near future.

I wonder why no one uses a 15 drum set snare?

• 2 months later...

As far as I know ( and I do a lot of kit drumming and hand drumming ), nobody makes a 15 inch head... The one place in percussion you may find a " 15 inch " drum would be a handmade frame drum or a hand carved dundun or djembe ( 14 is a bit too big for a djembe ) and those heads are all goat or camel skin rope tensioned or tacked and glued and tuned with fire or heat.

As far as I know ( and I do a lot of kit drumming and hand drumming ), nobody makes a 15 inch head...

Look again. 15" floor toms are common and every manufacturer makes 15" heads in a number of styles. I would love to hear a 15" floater. With the high tension capability and the added meat of 15" I think it would sound great, but certainly heavy. It is true that there are no 15" kevlar heads, they were made back in the 80's when kevlar was a new thing and was being marketed to drum set players in all sizes, but not anymore.

• Like 1

Actually an early brand of Kevlar head, Canasonic made 15 inch heads. However, this was well in advance of FF snare technology, so basically all they did was blow up Challengers and TDRs. And sound darker than Darth Vader....

I think because the vogue of the 80s was a higher pitch-either in snares or tenors, and that doomed the 15 inchers as far as new products.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

As far as I know ( and I do a lot of kit drumming and hand drumming ), nobody makes a 15 inch head... The one place in percussion you may find a " 15 inch " drum would be a handmade frame drum or a hand carved dundun or djembe ( 14 is a bit too big for a djembe ) and those heads are all goat or camel skin rope tensioned or tacked and glued and tuned with fire or heat.

Where have you looked? Of course there are 15" heads, produced by practically every major drum head manufacturer. Contemporary kevlar or woven marching batters may be difficult to find (not sure if anyone's making them in 15" as a regular stock item, although Remo will custom make just about anything for you, for a price). But a variety of styles of 15" mylar plastic heads, including snare side/bottom heads, are readily available.

Peace,

Fred O.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually an early brand of Kevlar head, Canasonic made 15 inch heads. However, this was well in advance of FF snare technology, so basically all they did was blow up Challengers and TDRs. And sound darker than Darth Vader....

I think because the vogue of the 80s was a higher pitch-either in snares or tenors, and that doomed the 15 inchers as far as new products.

I remember putting a set of those on the 15" snares of a band I taught. They lasted about a week and then ripped out. If I remember right they were made of kevlar and were really thick, but no mylar on top. They just shredded around the edges.

I remember putting a set of those on the 15" snares of a band I taught. They lasted about a week and then ripped out. If I remember right they were made of kevlar and were really thick, but no mylar on top. They just shredded around the edges.

Yep.... The only good thing about them was that they came in blue and gold (Pitt Colors). When I became section leader, I ended their use immediately. We would autograph them and sell them at band festivals for beer money. That's what happened to the stock pile. :devil:

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

Actually, the Skyliner Alumni corps had (possibly still have) 15 in kevlar heads in 2009. They were however extremely hard to find and were probably in short supply to begin with. As noted previously the free floating snare only came in the 14 in or 13 in variety.

Edited by Fastone