Homogenizing (in reverse)

Stu

If drum corps was to add woodwind instruments it would have maintain its "major league status" IT would have to capitalize that it does things at the highest level ever imaginable. I mean, that's sort of the difference between semi=pro and pro anything.

What should happen is DCI just sticks with the commonly accepted term of drum corps, drum corps with out woodwinds. Then BOA can create their own version of summer band that involves woodwinds. Maybe Blue Devils can create BD-D which is their marching band devision and beat the Marching Bands of AMerica Summer Tour too.

The competition between the two circuits will be good.

Variety, again, is the answer...

there was a summer band circuit tried over 10 years ago.

it didnt last.

You are. And Jeff Ream is actually controlling all of your thoughts, while MikeD is controlling your typing fingers.

Now isn't THAT a scary thought worse than woodwinds in drum corps?

w00t.gif

I told you NOT to tell him.

no wonder you didn't win ROTY in the OT Forums :tongue:

Ha! Darn! Caught!

Actually, it's payback for you not rigging the votes so I WOULD win ROTY.

Take that, you evil channeler!

your check bounced :tongue:

Don't forget that marching band competitions were happening back in 1971 too, before bands adopted corps style. I don't know if there is any historical data on it but I would bet that the total number of competitive marching music events is less now than in 1971.

There were very few MB competitions, in the Northeast anyway, in 1971. Cavalcade of bands had a few shows, TOB started in 72, there was no USSBA (or CMBC, the first name of the circuit), NYSFBC started in 72, EMBA in 79, NESBA in 77. Most shows in my area were local, one-off shows, held primarily on Sunday afternoon.

I'd take that bet, actually. IMO there are FAR more shows today nationwide than there were in 1971.

There were very few MB competitions, in the Northeast anyway, in 1971. Cavalcade of bands had a few shows, TOB started in 72, there was no USSBA (or CMBC, the first name of the circuit), NYSFBC started in 72, EMBA in 79, NESBA in 77. Most shows in my area were local, one-off shows, held primarily on Sunday afternoon.

I'd take that bet, actually. IMO there are FAR more shows today nationwide than there were in 1971.

Cavalcade I think was...wait let me look.

http://cavalcadeofbands.org/content.php?p=6

I haven't been around long, but for as long as I have been around, I believe this thread is a milestone, in the history of DCP and should be preserved somehow after most of its useful life has expired and discussions ceased.

I haven't been around long, but for as long as I have been around, I believe this thread is a milestone, in the history of DCP and should be preserved somehow after most of its useful life has expired and discussions ceased.

As the OP who started the thread I am humbled by your words (hopefully you are being honest and not sarcastic); and thank you for those kind words. However, once this thing has ran its course it will be accessible along with all of the other threads contained in the 0ver 1200 pages in the WC section of DCP (where, in my opinion, it will belong).

Edited by Stu

In context of reading the two sentences "together" in the post written by MarimbasaurusRex, the reader will logically infer that the second sentence was in reference to high school contests of the first sentence.

It wasn't stated that way, nor was it intended that way. If I meant high school band contests, that's what I would have said. Regardless, in my neighborhood local marching bands were regularly hosting competitions in the 70's and I know that was common in many areas. I honestly believe that if it was possible to add them all up, competitive marching music events would be of about the same number then as now, especially if you count parades, there were millions of them and most were judged competitions. One thing that might put the modern day numbers higher would be the inclusion of WGI. Not certain if that can be classified as a marching music event or not, but it is in spirit. Of course WGI, or at least some type of CG competition, was happening in the 70's too.

Again, I wish there were numbers to support it, but in my observation marching music participation in general is way down from what it was decades ago. I'm just speaking to the notion that competitive marching music is more active today than it was. In certain pockets, yes, but overall, not really.

Edited by MarimbasaurusRex