Did you?

No, not on the personal level, but it is their right to do so if they desire. I'd rather they legalize ANY instruments, but they haven't done so...again, it is their right as those who get to define what is and isn't part of DCI. I just go and enjoy the shows.

but, if they did...would you keep to the company line, or would you complain about it?

• Like 2

keep burying your head in the sand about electronics...keep touting the party line. You know fans have left because of them. You have heard the problems electronics have caused at shows. I can deal with partisanship, but when honesty goes out the window, it gets a bit silly.

Just like any performance there are good and not-so-good sounds...with amps and electronics and without them.

I really don't care about the few people who leave...that happens all the time...pre-DCI as well. New fans take their place. People unable to grow are not my problem, or DCI's. I feel sad for them, actually.

Drum corps is part of the marching band world, so adding them is not adding something alien. It is just adding things that are missing...that should have been legal decades ago, IMO. It's silly to prohibit any instruments from being used, IMO, of course. Its all marching band.

baseball is part of the sports world, as is lacrosse. Why not basketball hoops every 10 yards on the football field? all part of sports...

don't you get how silly this all sounds? Just because drum corps is a subset of marching band doesn't mean that drum corps should have all the instruments that drum corps has. If there's no difference, there's no reason for it to exist.

why should drum corps be any different from any other judged or athletic competition? All of these things have rules. The less rules and restrictions there are, the harder it is to judge. The things that have lasted the longest in the competitive world haven't changed their rules in decades. Limits are what spawn creativity. When you create a good show with infinite resources, it's expected. When you create a masterpiece with few, it's truly incredible. Drum corps isn't about expected...it's about the truly incredible. High school marching bands are proving all over the country what can be done when you are using the kitchen sink ideal...and most of the directors and designers of those bands are designers in drum corps. Everything is the easy button.

Electronics ARE mandatory, if you wanna score. There's a slot on the judging paper. If there's no electronics, how can you get a score? This is one of those things where you can't possibly lose points if you use it, so everyone uses it.

Why can't those that want electronics and woodwinds just go watch BOA and leave drum corps alone?

So you obviously can't disagree with me... If we did market research it would be clear to DCI that you like having only an acoustic brass, and percussion ensemble with the color-guard. Then they will see how many other people have this preference, (new, old, etc.) and then if that number is very high, they will and should create shows based on that "market demand".

Let the "market demand" be the limiting factor, not the rules of drum corps. This idea ONLY works, ONLY WORKS, if you have a dedicated market researchers in DCI, to investigate what it is exactly that people like about drumcorps, what keeps old people coming back, and what gets new people involved. Maybe they will find the content of shows to be just a part of a number of things DCI can do to increase/ maintain the base.

Can't you see why market research is important?! Corps woudn't have to guess what "could work", people don't need to wonder "why" a corps is taking a certain approach.

Know your market.

• Like 1

but, if they did...would you keep to the company line, or would you complain about it?

I always speak my mind. I favor WW...really ANY instruments, and DCI does not. Doesn't stop me from posting about them. Why would I change if the directors made a change I don't like?

Just like any performance there are good and not-so-good sounds...with amps and electronics and without them.

I really don't care about the few people who leave...that happens all the time...pre-DCI as well. New fans take their place. People unable to grow are not my problem, or DCI's. I feel sad for them, actually.

and there it is..the smarmy, condescending "unable to grow" comment. and he says he never calls people names or anything. Does someone need a tissue? Nosebleed at high elevations can be dangerous...

• Like 2

So you obviously can't disagree with me... If we did market research it would be clear to DCI that you like having only an acoustic brass, and percussion ensemble with the color-guard. Then they will see how many other people have this preference, (new, old, etc.) and then if that number is very high, they will and should create shows based on that "market demand".

Let the "market demand" be the limiting factor, not the rules of drum corps. This idea ONLY works, ONLY WORKS, if you have a dedicated market researchers in DCI, to investigate what it is exactly that people like about drumcorps, what keeps old people coming back, and what gets new people involved. Maybe they will find the content of shows to be just a part of a number of things DCI can do to increase/ maintain the base.

Can't you see why market research is important?! Corps woudn't have to guess what "could work", people don't need to wonder "why" a corps is taking a certain approach.

Know your market.

they have done some research, and they have seen some results they didn't like...hence the Cesario project. but to really research...they dont want to spend that cash....because the 23 bodies that have to ok probably wouldn't like what they'd hear

baseball is part of the sports world, as is lacrosse. Why not basketball hoops every 10 yards on the football field? all part of sports...

don't you get how silly this all sounds? Just because drum corps is a subset of marching band doesn't mean that drum corps should have all the instruments that drum corps has. If there's no difference, there's no reason for it to exist.

No, its not silly at all. Lacrosse is not baseball. Drum corps is marching band.

and there it is..the smarmy, condescending "unable to grow" comment. and he says he never calls people names or anything. Does someone need a tissue? Nosebleed at high elevations can be dangerous...

Where did I call anyone a name? You make all sorts of personal attacks on me in post after post, actually. YOU are the one with the smarmy condescending attitude. You don't like what I post, so like this post I am quoting you stoop to making personal attacks.

Know your market.

I agree with every word you just said. DCI never did any kind of market study on the introduction of electronics, plain and simple. The corps directors voted it in. They were presented a 3600 signature petition saying they didn't want electronics.

This comment has nothing to do with your previous comment. Sometimes I find it hard to figure out what you are saying because sometimes you say one thing, and then turn around and say the opposite bit later...

I realize that while you are not against woodwinds or electronics, you aren't necessarily for them either. It's not the brass/percussion sound that does it for you. I get that. But...you'd attend if they weren't in drum corps. The same is not true for some people where electronics are concerned.