Firsts!

Wouldn't the first themed show be either Madison or Cavaliers '71? The circus show and the Alice in Wonderland show. Commonly referred to as, "The Summer Drum Corps Died?"

I would agree - the Madison "Alice in Wonderland" and Cavaliers "Circus Show" were way ahead of their time.

In 1955, the Jerseyville Corvetts played Rock Around The Clock, which is regarded as the first mainstream rock and roll song.

One of my favorite early "theme" shows was the 1960 Edison Lamplighters. They did: I'm Beginning To See The LIGHT, Harbor LIGHTS, By The LIGHT Of The Silvery Moon, The Old LAMPLIGHTER, Dancing In The DARK.

The Bethesda Emerald Knights in 1974 played Halo of Flies by Alice Cooper. Not sure if that was the first "Rock Song" But, it also took up half the show time, which almost qualifys as a theme :w00t:

What Brian failed to say is that Alice Coopers "Halo of Flies" was combined with Dvoraks "New World Symphony". Neither may have been a first in everyday life. But in "Bizzaro World"... this was a championship show.

BTW- I loved that show.

Jerry

"Firsts"

First corps "OTL" at 1972 DCI Prelims was the Hawthorne Muchachos.

First "Marching Tymps": 1967, Boston Crusaders. They were actually bass drums cobbled together and carried/played by Tony Smith. Another "Shellmer" inovation.

Elphaba

That "tuned double bass" drum was keyed to match Man From La Mancha ... first time I heard them play it was at the Union City 4th of July show (you know, the free one) ... everyone knew a paradigm shift in dc drumming had just occurred ... the first actual tymps hit the field in 68 and ... yes, Elphie ... your own hometown Bpt. PAL Cadets were among the first to carry them on the field ... Ron Findley and Bobby Lomax played them ... several other corps (including Boston) introduced them in 68 as well ... then more in 69 and so on and so on ... many corps as early as 63-64 tinkered with "tuned bass" - Chicago's Somewhere from 64 comes to mind ... and, of course, BS's intoduction of the Rudi Bass in 62 was also monumental ... good stuff!!!!

:thumbup:

I would agree - the Madison "Alice in Wonderland" and Cavaliers "Circus Show" were way ahead of their time.

Jess, the “Scouts in Fantasyland” was truly way ahead of its time. In reality the show contained more music from “The Wizard of Oz” than “Alice in Wonderland”. The Cavie’s circus IMO was a joke.

Correct. In 71 we passed out a libretto describing the show, a decade before Regiment did it with Spartacus.

That 1971 show was excellent, IMO. A well-performed storyline. :thumbup:

In 1955, the Jerseyville Corvetts played Rock Around The Clock, which is regarded as the first mainstream rock and roll song.

" Rock around the Clock " was introduced 4/12/54 by Bill Haley and the Comets, and was a big mainstream hit.

" Shake, Rattle, and Roll " was introduced by Big Joe Turner on 2/15/ 54 and also was a big hit. This Rock n' Roll song was played by St. Paul Scouts in 1958 ( among others)

Edited by BRASSO

• 1 month later...