Firsts!

May I then say: Welcome to the "Sorry Puppet" Show. :shutup:

Uh oh. I feel another show theme embedded in your reply. After all, it has been over 10 years since Phantom played Petrouchka and more than 20 since Spirit did their Petrouchka show.

Sorry Puppet ... lots of female DM's of co-ed corps in the 40's, 50's and early 60's ... St. Vinnie's ... Bpt. PAL ... St. Ann's ... Shoreliners ... Blue Rock ... Grand St. Boys ... many of the GNYC and Penn-Jersey corps ...

:-)

Norwood (MA) Debonairs 54; Audubon (NJ) Bon Bons 53

Sorry Ghost ... Puppet said co-ed corps ... LOL ...

:rolleyes:

I think a bit of both, I call the years between 1965-75 the "Give the Drummer some" era as so many things happened to bring percussion to the forefront a bit more from instrumentation innovations to something as simple as the black dot and silver dot drum heads (which were cool as heck in those days).

The first I recall of tonal bass being "featured" was the Chicago Cavailers while playing Somewhere from WSS at the 1964 WO ... three bass drums were set up center field with a single snare playing on them matching the underlying tones of the baris ... quite effective ... other corps had used different tone bass drums earlier (Blessed Sac's dualing rudis in 62) but, this was the first time I recall them being "featured" along with the horns ... and Frankie is correct ... 1968 was the first year for tymps ... almost every Dreitzer and Perrilloux corps had them ... not totally accepted by all drum judges ... the first show the Bpt PAL used them in 1968 we got a 0.9 out of 10.0 in GE Drums with the judge saying "There's no place for tymps in drum corps" ... his only comment on the sheet ... oh well ...

Also the Norwood Park Imperials from Chicago all through the 1940's , 50,s and 60's etc.

The first I recall of tonal bass being "featured" was the Chicago Cavailers while playing Somewhere from WSS at the 1964 WO ... three bass drums were set up center field with a single snare playing on them matching the underlying tones of the baris ... quite effective ... other corps had used different tone bass drums earlier (Blessed Sac's dualing rudis in 62) but, this was the first time I recall them being "featured" along with the horns ... and Frankie is correct ... 1968 was the first year for tymps ... almost every Dreitzer and Perrilloux corps had them ... not totally accepted by all drum judges ... the first show the Bpt PAL used them in 1968 we got a 0.9 out of 10.0 in GE Drums with the judge saying "There's no place for tymps in drum corps" ... his only comment on the sheet ... oh well ...

I might just add here that speaking of Eric and Hy and the use of the tymps it wasn't until a couple of years after 1968 that most Corps' tymp sections actually understood the use of the instrument(s). Our guys, and no doubt, by default all Dreitzer and Perrilloux's corps, were playing music from day one!

Tymps72.jpg

They gave those cranks a real workout every show.

And please notices ...there was no resting ... they strapped those bad boys on at the starting line and didn't put 'em down 'til we were done.

In 1955, the Jerseyville Corvetts played Rock Around The Clock, which is regarded as the first mainstream rock and roll song.

One of my favorite early "theme" shows was the 1960 Edison Lamplighters. They did: I'm Beginning To See The LIGHT, Harbor LIGHTS, By The LIGHT Of The Silvery Moon, The Old LAMPLIGHTER, Dancing In The DARK.

"Fifties Faves":

Archer-Epler's Musketeers did an "Camelot" show in 1957 complete. They also used music from the "King & I" with a "King" in the person of the late Vince Degan. Connecticut's Hurricanes did a "Weather" show in 1959 or 1960.

The olde Connecticut Royal Lancers had a Joe Genero penned "South Pacific" program from 1962 through 1964.

Elphaba

The olde Connecticut Royal Lancers had a Joe Genero penned "South Pacific" program from 1962 through 1964.

Elphaba

Speaking of the CT Royal Lancers, Elphie ... I hear from Paul Mayer that they're planning a reunion for next year ... you in?

ps ... Our Lady of Lourdes also did Rock Around The Clock, featuring BHOF menber Gene Marotta in 1960 and 61

Edited by ajlisko

Speaking of the CT Royal Lancers, Elphie ... I hear from Paul Mayer that they're planning a reunion for next year ... you in?

ps ... Our Lady of Lourdes also did Rock Around The Clock, featuring BHOF menber Gene Marotta in 1960 and 61

Lancers Reunion:

Thanks for the info. First I've heard of it. It would be nice to see the "Kids" again.

Elphaba

I might just add here that speaking of Eric and Hy and the use of the tymps it wasn't until a couple of years after 1968 that most Corps' tymp sections actually understood the use of the instrument(s). Our guys, and no doubt, by default all Dreitzer and Perrilloux's corps, were playing music from day one!

Tymps72.jpg

They gave those cranks a real workout every show.

And please notices ...there was no resting ... they strapped those bad boys on at the starting line and didn't put 'em down 'til we were done.

I judged in the Garden State Circuit in the mid-late 70's to around 80. There were a few timpani sections that used to crank like crazy..but they weren't hooked up to anything, so the pitches never changed! :tongue:

Whe I'd call them on it at retreat the instructor would tell me most of the judges couldn't tell the difference, and they'd receive great PA marks and comments about their marvelous timpani lines. :blink: