Firsts!

I have a contest program dated June 19, 1971. Page 27 headline reads 'The Cadets of Garfield present America the Brave - 1776'. Top half of the page is a photo, the bottom half is the libretto :smile:

I wonder if 1972 Alberta All Girls Drum and Bugle Band were the first drum corps to tour Europe. I wonder if I was the first female drum major in southern Ontario conducting a co-ed corps in 1972 :wink:

I thought the Garfield show was called No More War. And could these two young women be the first female Drum Majors

WorldChampions.jpg

(both named Kathy BTW, I think!) to lead a co-ed Drum Corps ... ever?!

I thought the Garfield show was called No More War. And could these two young women be the first female Drum Majors

WorldChampions.jpg

Sorry Puppet ... lots of female DM's of co-ed corps in the 40's, 50's and early 60's ... St. Vinnie's ... Bpt. PAL ... St. Ann's ... Shoreliners ... Blue Rock ... Grand St. Boys ... many of the GNYC and Penn-Jersey corps ...

:-)

WorldChampions.jpg

Sorry Puppet, but the Braintree (Mass.) Warriors had a female drum major as far back as '53.

No one had tympani on the field before the 1968 season, Everyone who used them that year were the first. btw, St.Joseph Patron had a set of double tenors on the field in 1968, I don't remember seeing anyone else with them,at least on the east coast. The big thing was horizontal bass drums and of course tympani that year.

Edited by Fastone

Sorry Puppet ... lots of female DM's of co-ed corps in the 40's, 50's and early 60's ... St. Vinnie's ... Bpt. PAL ... St. Ann's ... Shoreliners ... Blue Rock ... Grand St. Boys ... many of the GNYC and Penn-Jersey corps ...

:-)

Sorry Puppet, but the Braintree (Mass.) Warriors had a female drum major as far back as '53.

Sorry Puppet, the "No More War" show was '72

Ray

May I then say: Welcome to the "Sorry Puppet" Show. :shutup: I really thought the the two female DM thing was going to fly. :doh: Or the two female DM's named Kathy. :doh: :doh: And I really thought the peace symbol show was '71. :blow:

sigh.

May I then say: Welcome to the "Sorry Puppet" Show. :shutup: I really thought the the two female DM thing was going to fly. :doh: Or the two female DM's named Kathy. :doh: :doh: And I really thought the peace symbol show was '71. :blow:

sigh.

I had a good chuckle lol :bigsmile: thanks Puppet. I think you may have a first; two DM's with the same name in 66-67? As an aside, I saw Linda R at our reunion in 2011. She was DM for AAG 1970 - 1974. I'm Linda P and was DM for AAG 1977 - 1979. I told her that I did last minute phone calls to the ladies to inform them of the reunion and a few asked "Which Linda are you?" It's not a first but it could be a record. One corps with a DM named Linda for 8 years :smile:

No one had tympani on the field before the 1968 season, Everyone who used them that year were the first. btw, St.Joseph Patron had a set of double tenors on the field in 1968, I don't remember seeing anyone else with them,at least on the east coast. The big thing was horizontal bass drums and of course tympani that year.

I did a little research. You may be correct. The big thing with horizontal bass drums was the thing along with snare drummers playing on bass drums like a set drum kit. Were we innovating or experimenting? Thanks for the insight :smile:

I did a little research. You may be correct. The big thing with horizontal bass drums was the thing along with snare drummers playing on bass drums like a set drum kit. Were we innovating or experimenting? Thanks for the insight :smile:

I think a bit of both, I call the years between 1965-75 the "Give the Drummer some" era as so many things happened to bring percussion to the forefront a bit more from instrumentation innovations to something as simple as the black dot and silver dot drum heads (which were cool as heck in those days).