Was trying to think back to that year. Rochester Crusaders were in the running for best horn line and almost did it...problem was a judge brought a caption down quite a bit. Anyone remember?

So here is what I can gather....

The corps was somewhere in the middle of the pack from July until August 11th. August 4th the corps scores a 82.3 and is beat by Steel City, Skyliners, Bush, Cabs and Westshoremen. A week later they score a 90.2 (largest jump by any corps that time). They beat Cabs and Westshoremen. At DCA prelims they place 5th with a 93.8 and score a 94.0 for 5th at finals.

I didn't see recaps for any show so I don't remember the caption score. Maybe Tom P. can shed some light. What happened to raise the score...was that when Brubaker came in?

Was trying to think back to that year. Rochester Crusaders were in the running for best horn line and almost did it...problem was a judge brought a caption down quite a bit. Anyone remember?

Crusaders had a terrific horn line that year...... another in a string of sold lines from basically 1986 or '87 through the early 1990s. Their 1988 line was great.

:ph34r:

Hey Keith -

IIRC - Cru DID win horns in 1990. I just remember that as a "fabulous" line (pun intended)

and that version of Channel One was as good as BD's..IMHO..I always atributed it to having Kings..since we were still had piston/rotors in OUR line that year......a very notorious year for MBI.

I found it hard to believe that Cru was 5th with that line..Of course, after our show, a lot of us found it tough to be enthusiastic about Finals.

Pat

Corky wrote a great book that year and Beth was super too! I think we thought we would be higher by finals. I still remember hearing something about a judge knocking us down in horns alot to keep us from getting the title.

:ph34r:

Hey Keith -

IIRC - Cru DID win horns in 1990. I just remember that as a "fabulous" line (pun intended)

and that version of Channel One was as good as BD's..IMHO..I always atributed it to having Kings..since we were still had piston/rotors in OUR line that year......a very notorious year for MBI.

I found it hard to believe that Cru was 5th with that line..Of course, after our show, a lot of us found it tough to be enthusiastic about Finals.

Pat

I really don't remember Cru beating us til the end. I just remember being in the hunt with Cabs and Empire til the last 2 weeks

just looking at the scores from the various shows and matchups, the corps and scores were all over the place that season,............

I judged two shows that season, the Barnum Festival (GE Percussion) and Hasbrouck Hts (PA). There were some nice programs that season.

just looking at the scores from the various shows and matchups, the corps and scores were all over the place that season,............

yeah my mission tomorrow is to go back and look. I know we fought Cabs and Empire every week, then Bush came on late. I remember a huge win against Empire the week before finals and 4th at finals.

the rest, well, I'll just let time heal most of the wounds

The 90 Cru corps was doing a book that was top shelf in every way... and consequently VERY difficult. The winter saw things start slow and the board turned to a new director who took over well after the "normal" recruiting period... the next few months were a learning curve for everyone, a lot of hard work and it made for some inconsistent performances by a great corps... as we approached the championship, we could not be denied and we were able to keep the corps in the top 5 inspite of a pretty crappy winter. I don't blame the judges in any show, but choose to remember what a fantastic group of people we were able to assemble who worked their hearts out and gave Cru (and me) 4 wonderful seasons.