1990 is still one of the special years in my drum corps life. 18 horns, 7 battery, 9 guard, and 6 pit, average age of the corps was 19, and we came so close to making the night show. Along the way, we surprised, and possibly angered, a few of the bigger corps with some brass sub-caption scoring. The Sound of LI was such a tight knit unit too. We had that "us against the world" mentality that pushed us to max out the program as much as possible. What an amazing summer!!

1990 - retreat - (and here we go again). Love 'n it on tape!

That was a rough night. I'll leave it at that.

That was a rough night. I'll leave it at that.

I've done my best to block it out

Keith...My friend, LET IT GO. I happen to believe that Empire deserved that trophy and Dr. Z. did his job correctly that night. :worthy:

Go ahead and do what I did recently...listen to both corps.

Admittedly Cru came out with swagger and nailed the first 6-7 minutes of the show. Unfortunately the shows are 10 minutes plus. Cru seemed to weaken while Empire picked up steam. The Liberty Fanfare ending of the show was so strong with 10 lead sopranos going up chromatically to high F ...THAT is also demand! Vinny Monacelli's drill was no easier than anyone elses, believe me. But in DCA soloists count as well...David Martin was on fire as was I, Chris, Kevin W, Denis B. and Tom Allen-Rochester. Your soloists were not stellar that night. Listen to the tapes, I am not making this up.

Besides you crying and attacking a good judge's credibilty on DCP isnt going to change the outcome. You knew what Zazzara did before you posted this, because you just posted recently on the same subject. How many times are you going to bring it up?

I am proud of that High Brass trophy...and the team that I taught deserved the trophy. 1990 was a great year...Empire was VERY strong by the end of the season, but the competition was fierce all year. Dont take away the hard work that we put in to get to where we got.

Your friend,

Donny

Retreat was definitely rough, but enjoyable just the same.

Yeah.... by "rough night" I meant retreat. The show itself was fine, at least from my vantage point. Except for the rain delay early on. Rain and microphones/electronics don't mix very well. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

1990 - retreat - (and here we go again). Love 'n it on tape!

Me Too

Yeah but that was you guys' idea of fun...pissing everyone off by sneaking up on them LOL....

Those were competitions! What happened to those?

Donny