Drum Corps Repertoires 1980 vs. 2010

I'm just sayin that in the case of BD alone, the list of tunes was longer in 1980 than in 2010. I was surprised because 1980 feels way more consitant than 2010 felt. If anything I think the lists are not really a good represtation of the shows. There are a bunch of snippets that were so short they never made it onto to any such list.

Obviously things are very differnt now in terms of scoring (musical scoring I mean).

My real point is that today is not a complete break from how they did things 30 years ago. Its just more broken up then it used to be. It was still broken up back then. There's no way they played "all" of each of those 7 pieces in 1980.

Trying to figure out how you're making these comparisions between the eras if you haven't actually heard the shows. Seeing a list of song titles doesn't say that much especially since back in the 60s corps playing an even higher number of songs.

LOL, wondering if any of the 1980 listed songs were a drum solo. Edit: Yep... see one that I recognize....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

imo.. I think visual people of today think about the music much more than of the past. I'ts all about how the music will be presented visually. I remember the days when you

" marched " around to a beautiful Ballad " High leg lift " or formed squards all over the place to a classical piece.hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not much thought there..lol.....OOOOO THE OLD DAYS....LOL....AGAIN jmo :smile:

We will disagree. I go back to that Cavies piece on the ESPn telecast where they admit they would go back and ask for x more counts of music to finish a visual idea. That has become the norm now, down to the band and indoor world. What it has led to is what I keep calling the brief melodic idea while running to get to the standstill or hold with body while playing a loud chord approach.

go watch a lot of last years shows. hell the last 5 years. You see a lot of this.

I go back to that Cavies piece on the ESPn telecast where they admit they would go back and ask for x more counts of music to finish a visual idea.

Fwiw, I can recall the visual folks adding us if we could add some counts so s/he could finish a drill move or a guard staging way back in the 80's. It's not like it just started happening 5 years ago.

Peace,

Fred O.

Fwiw, I can recall the visual folks adding us if we could add some counts so s/he could finish a drill move or a guard staging way back in the 80's. It's not like it just started happening 5 years ago.

Peace,

Fred O.

new no. more predominant...yes.